Community Forum

Poor reception on all sports channels

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Poor reception on all sports channels

Here is yet another issue with poor reception.  Before I have to make the inevitable service call, I figured I'd see if there's somthing obvious I'm missing.

Summary:

I have 4 TV's, 2 basic tuners, 1 main DVR and one multi-room box.  There are no issues on the 2 TV's attached to the basic tuners.  The other 2 TV's (out primary viewing TV's) have issues with all sports channels (ESPN, NFLN, NESN, NBCSN, etc) that can range from mildly annoying to unwatchable.  At it's best, the picture will pause for a second, normal for a few, pause, repeat.  At it's worst, the picture is completely pixelated and sound is also very bad.  This also happens on one news channel (NECN).  All other channels are normal.

Wiring:

The main line coming into the house goes into a 3-way splitter, one line comes out of a -3.5 port, the other 2 lines come out of -7 ports.  The 2 -7 lines go directly to boxes, one the basic box (which is OK) and the other the main DVR box (which is not OK).  The line coming out of the -3.5 port goes up 2 floors into a 2-way splitter.  One output goes to the gateway modem, the other into another 2 way splitter.  Those lines go to the other basic box (OK) and the multi-room box (not OK).  All splitters are high quality and rated for 1002 Mb.

|----- (-7) -----> Basic Box (OK)

------->|----- (-7) ----->Main DVR (Bad)

|----- (-3.5) -------------------------------->| --- (-3.5) ------> Gateway (Signal within specs)

| --- (-3.5) ----------------------------->| ----- (-3.5) ----> Basic Box (OK)

| ----- (-3.5) ----> Multi-room box (Bad)

What's Next?

Since the basic boxes are good, I'm guessing that the issue may be in the communications between the DVR boxes.  I checked the MoCA diagnostics on the main box and the mesh values are around 245.  I won't pretend to know what that means, but I read in another thread that a value above 220 is good.  There is a filter where the feed comes into the house.  There are no issues with the DVR on either box.  Both boxes are set to 720p (I played with all settings, no difference).

Is there anything else I can check?  Any ideas are welcome at this point.

Official Employee

Re: Poor reception of all sports channels

Every channel comes in on different frequencies. There are many reasons for channels breaking up, it’s just a coincidence that it’s sports channels, it may also be channels that you don’t watch or get. There’s nothing that can done remotely, you’ll have to make time for a tech to come out and troubleshoot
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I figured a service call will be the ultimate outcome.  I'm still skeptical that it's only sports channels (I've flipped through a large number of the channels) and it's not an issue with the TV's attached to the basic boxes.

I noticed that there had been another reply (which has now disappeared) concerning re-wiring and possible adding an EVO amp.  I've considered doing that proactively mostly because some of the wiring is very old (30 years) and I'm always leery of too many splits.  I can do all that myself (the amp and new cables are not too expensive), but I would avoid it if I knew the issue is not there.  But there is a mix of old and new cables throughout with mixed results, so I don't think it's a cable issue unless an old cable was interfering with how the DVR boxes communicate.

I guess I'll have to prepare for a call and the inevitable swapping of boxes, etc, unless I "luck" out and the issue is outside the house.

Thanks for the reply, I'll setup a call.

Official Employee

You could try the amp route, it will eliminate the loss of at least one splitter. Those basic boxes (DTAs) don’t need as strong/clean signal as the X1 boxes. Check your moca at both X1 boxes, you’ll notice the secondary box is at a 130, so there’s definitely something “in-house” going on.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the additional info.

As I posted yesterday, I don't know what that number means, but can you tell me what it should be?  Does a lower number result from a weak signal or could there be something else going on? 

Official Employee

Above 220 is best. The boxes use moca to communicate, and that number gauges the communication between the boxes. It can be affected by splitters, cable (condition and type), and distance between boxes.

Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to close on this topic in case anyone else may encounter a similar issue.

I went ahead and purchased the EVO-1 9 port amp and rewired my entire house (took 2 days).  I purchased quad shield RG-6 pure copper cable and ran direct runs to all points in the house, 6 all together.  I no longer have any splitters or cables spliced together with connectors.

That has revolved the issue.  I can now get all channels clearly, the downstream signal at my modem went from -6.5 to +2 while the upstream went from 50 down to 42.  I'm glad I went ahead and did it.  The installation is much cleaner as I no longer have cable wires running along the floors of the bedrooms (I dropped the lines down the walls from the attic and put in cable outlets).

Silver Problem Solver

@gillette236 wrote:

I just wanted to close on this topic in case anyone else may encounter a similar issue.

I went ahead and purchased the EVO-1 9 port amp and rewired my entire house (took 2 days).  I purchased quad shield RG-6 pure copper cable and ran direct runs to all points in the house, 6 all together.  I no longer have any splitters or cables spliced together with connectors.

That has revolved the issue.  I can now get all channels clearly, the downstream signal at my modem went from -6.5 to +2 while the upstream went from 50 down to 42.  I'm glad I went ahead and did it.  The installation is much cleaner as I no longer have cable wires running along the floors of the bedrooms (I dropped the lines down the walls from the attic and put in cable outlets).

I have the same installation and it has been solid since I got X1 when if first came out in my marlet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.