Community Forum

Poor Wireless Signal

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Poor Wireless Signal

I had recently installed (9/2/2017) xFinity triple play. Since my TV locations don't have wired coax outlets, they installed the wireless boxes. I have chronic weak signal issues, with freezes, intermittent loss of audio, and pixeling and sputtering on local channels. I replaced wireless Directv and had no issues except for paying $150 more per month for like services! That's why I switched. Service came saying that weak wifi was an issue and only solution would be to have electrician install coax outlets (At my expense), or move wireless boxes closer to gateway.

I have 6000sqft home with a communication closet and there is no way to relocate the gateway. My apple Airport Extreme II works wonderfully placed in this closet..so did Directv gateway. Also, my internet speeds are @ 150mps...or more...and phone operates without issue! It's strictly a TV issue as we cannot predict when we're in the middle of a movie, live TV, etc...that the unit just locks up. I have to diconnect power and power cycle sometimes for 30 minutes until I get signal back.  AND its not consistent...It appears to happen more frequently in the late evenings/nights from say 9pm to 1am...but it still happnes throughout the day.

My question: Is ther a replacement gateway I can purchase that has better wifi performance than the standard xFinity unit?

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: Poor Wireless Signal

No, the Xi5 wireless boxes only work with the XB3 ( not available for retail). It really sounds like having wireless boxes are not the right fit for your house. Do you happen to have Ethernet ports at the location of the Xi5's?
New Poster

No. The only ethernet is through power and tech said this new box doesn't work through powerline ethernet junctions, only direct connection.

New Poster

there a compatible wifi signal booster? Looking at Netgear which runs through power but also has wifi...

Official Employee

No there isn't.

New Poster

Would I get better performance ditching the phone and getting only internet and tv thus using another modem/gateway, or is this the best offered?

Official Employee

It has to do with how far the gateway is from the wireless box and/or anything impeding the wifi signal. Dropping phone is meaningless unless it means moving the gateway.
Three possible solutions
1. Move the gateway closer
2. Run coax to the Xi5 and swapping the box
3. Run Cat5 to the Xi5
New Poster

Comcast Andrew - I am having the same weak signal issues as communique1 with the Xi5 box (freezes, intermittent loss of audio, and pixeling and sputtering).  The system shows that I am getting two bars on the wifi signal indicator. 

In one of your responses above, you asked if communique had any ethernet ports at the location of the Xi5.  You also indicated that one solution was to run Cat5 the Xi5.  To try to solve my issue, I ran Cat6 (as I understand it, Cat6 can be used with Cat5 ports) from the XB3 through the attic directly to the wall where the TV is mounted.  Thus, the Xi5 box is now connected directly to the XB3 via the ethernet cable.  However, it seems as if the Xi5 is still connecting via wifi, instead of through the hardwired connection.  I am still showing a weak signal and experiencing the same issues discussed above.  I have looked through the settings to see if there was a "disable wifi" or "connect through ethernet" option, but haven't been able to find anything along those lines.  I have also rebooted the Xi5 and done a system refresh through the xfinity website, with no luck there either.  How can I change the settings so the Xi5 is pulling the signal through the ethernet instead of automatically connecting through wifi?

Thanks for your help.

New Poster

This is exactly where I am. Any luck?

Do I run cat5 to the DVR box or the gateway?
Official Employee

More details, the DVR needs to be able to talk to your gateway, and the gateway needs to talk to the Xi5 ( either wirelessly or Ethernet from gateway to Xi5).