Community Forum

Please allow dvr content access when system is down

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Please allow dvr content access when system is down

Tivo did license their software to Comcast, but Comcast decided to drop it after a few years.

I bought a Tivo, with a comcast cablecard. Best move ever!

New Poster

Then comcast needs to lawyer up on that one.  The state of the grid being up or down shouldnt matter, if Tivo is calling that a "feature" its a sad day indeed.

Silver Problem Solver

Tivo has a patent on their features. Tivo has sued, and won, when others have tried to copy them.

New Poster

Sigh.  I find it a bit dissapointing that the "solution" is basicly ... dont bother paying for a comcast dvr and use another company instead.

Hey Comcast, lets do some math here ....

Amount of time it takes a programmer to write a bit of code to pop up on the error screen saying "Whoops! There is an error, would you like to watch your dvr content?" and a shortcut to the dvr menu, and cost involved with that. 

Now lets compare that cost to ....

The reduced amount of unhappy folks flooding the customer service lines when the system is down... that wouldnt bother calling if they could instead watch their recorded content.  How many tens/hundreds/thousands? of man hours are we talking about here over the course of X amount of outages in X amount of areas for the duration of X amount of time?  I suppose we could also factor in the likely high turnover rate of customer service /techs who dont like dealing with frustrated customers and some the training costs involved in bringing new hires up to speed.

When you figure out how much $$ my simple request can save you, please send me a check for half so I can buy myself a nice island to retire on.   Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

That feature is only available with a Tivo, not Comcast equipment.

New Poster

Please allow dvr content access when system is down

I work nights, get home early morning and that is my prime tv watching time. And also the time Comcast picks to shut down the entire grid when they want to work on something. So I come home to no tv, no internet, and nothing to do but sit here and be ticked off wondering why I am paying this huge bill. <br><br>How hard could t be to put a button on the error screen asking if I want to watch the content I have paid $ to record sitting in the hard drive inside the box less than a foot away from my tv?!?!???