Community Forum

Pixilated, unwatchable tv

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Pixilated, unwatchable tv

I called customer service and the tried to fix but cant. They say the only option is for a tech to come out Monday. I work 10 hour days Mon-Thurs! I am so angry, having football party tomorrow, they just say, too bad!
Expert

Re: Pixilated, unwatchable tv

Jennydiver wrote:
I called customer service and the tried to fix but cant. They say the only option is for a tech to come out Monday. I work 10 hour days Mon-Thurs! I am so angry, having football party tomorrow, they just say, too bad!

hope if you try 'this' your party can go on as planned with good TV signal. starting at the wall coax connector unscrew the connector and gently scrape the center conductor wire with a jackknife (careful of your fingers). reconnect the connector insuring it is finger tight. Then do the same for the coax connector on back of the set top box (be SURE to note which connector to return the coax to since there are two coax connectors (you need the one marked cable, not 'to TV'). did that give you a boost to your signal? If not, do you have a powered splitter/amplifier? 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

I cannot recommend that you use a "jackknife to scrape the center conductor". During my 40 years of installing and troubleshooting audio/video gear I have never seen a need for that. However I have seen situations where the center conductor got dirty (such as drywall powder) and it required cleaning. Using a "jackknife" could nick or chafe the center conductor which could cause issues with how the cable passes higher frequencies.

That being said, "pixelation" when watching live TV is an incoming signal problem. There is little else it can be.

Yes you do need to make sure your cables are secure and tight fitting. Yes you need to confirm if you have an amp and or splitters. Yes you may need the tech visit that you have scheduled.

Rustyben wrote:

Jennydiver wrote:

hope if you try 'this' your party can go on as planned with good TV signal. starting at the wall coax connector unscrew the connector and gently scrape the center conductor wire with a jackknife (careful of your fingers). reconnect the connector insuring it is finger tight. Then do the same for the coax connector on back of the set top box (be SURE to note which connector to return the coax to since there are two coax connectors (you need the one marked cable, not 'to TV'). did that give you a boost to your signal? If not, do you have a powered splitter/amplifier? 

Official Employee

Ignore the jacknife advice, as Rick advised you could damage the center conductor. The account that you logged in with has no equipment attached, PM me your account details and I can see if there's issues going on