Community Forum

Own Cable Modem with Xi5 box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Own Cable Modem with Xi5 box

Hello,

If I purchase my own cable modem to remove the rented gateway, I would then connect my own wireless router to it to get WiFi in the house.  Would I be able to connect my Xi5 box to that router via WiFi or wired Ethernet?

I currently have an ARRIS TG1682G Gateway in Bridge mode that uses an Ethernet cable to connect to the Xi5 box.  I have my own Nighthawk router deliver the Internet WiFi.

Thanks,

Marc

Official Employee

Re: Own Cable Modem with Xi5 box

Sorry, that won't work, the Xi5 needs the moca and the firmware of the XB3 to operate.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks ComcastAndrew!

So, stated another way, if I want to usethe Xi5 box then I have to use the provided Wireless Gateway.

Therefore, if I wanted to get my own cable modem, I would need to get an older box for the second TV and pull coax to it?

MarcG10

Official Employee

You stated it exactly right.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

So if i were to buy the exact same box that I would rent from you guys would I be able to hook it up to the Xi5. If so how?

Official Employee

Those gateways are not for resale.

Expert

pleasework345 wrote:

So if i were to buy the exact same box that I would rent from you guys would I be able to hook it up to the Xi5. If so how?

the Comcast modem has the password to set up the connection to the rest of the MoCA network. Since you and I don't know that there is no ability to use MoCA over wifi on our own wireless routers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Valued Contributor

You technically CAN use the Xi5 with your own modem and router. All you need to do is put a moca to Ethernet bridge on your network. Action Tech is a company that makes this device. Your biggest issue is going to be convincing someone at Comcast to actually give you an Xi5 when you don't have an XB3/XB6 on your account. The XB is simply acting as a moca bridge. Nothing fancy or technically required other than that.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon