Community Forum

Ongoing Picture and sound sync prob

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Ongoing Picture and sound sync prob

We have the X1 system and have had problems with the picture and the sound not sync together.. IE: people stop talking and the words are delayed a half to one sec later.  We have had calls to service and a tech out but on that day the sound was working perfectly. The sound delays happened for 2 months before and is happening again since then.. Saturday ( the 22nd of April ) was the only day the sound was EVER in sync for more than 30 minutes. Sounds rather suspicous to us.. Now we have left 3 messages on their system yesterday and today at <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Personal Information"> the number for calling ( if you are unable to find a resolution, please don't hesitate to call ) to get a resolution but no one answered or has returned our calls after we left messages either. We are really fed up with comcast as we left a perfectly good working system with ATT. We left them because we did not want a dish on our house for TV.. but I think that was a BIG mistake now.. 

Expert

Re: Ongoing Picture and sound sync prob

Syncme wrote:

We have the X1 system and have had problems with the picture and the sound not sync together.. IE: people stop talking and the words are delayed a half to one sec later.  We have had calls to service and a tech out but on that day the sound was working perfectly. The sound delays happened for 2 months before and is happening again since then.. Saturday ( the 22nd of April ) was the only day the sound was EVER in sync for more than 30 minutes. Sounds rather suspicous to us.. Now we have left 3 messages on their system yesterday and today at 816-519-6247 the number for calling ( if you are unable to find a resolution, please don't hesitate to call ) to get a resolution but no one answered or has returned our calls after we left messages either. We are really fed up with comcast as we left a perfectly good working system with ATT. We left them because we did not want a dish on our house for TV.. but I think that was a BIG mistake now.. 

a little information needed: What set top box model number is connected to that television, and do you have a sound system or sound bar that you use for speakers (and if you do have one, what is the connection type? example: wired, HDMI, Bluetooth)?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi Syncme, I can certainly get this taken care of for you. Can you please send me a private message with your full address, phone number, and account number by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me" Thanks.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

This affects me, too.

The sound and picture are out of sync on all 3 TVs, all laptops, and my phone. The delay is 1/10th of a second (barely tolerable) up to 2 seconds, but when the delay is 1 second, I become ill the same way strobe lights affect me.

The delay is different on every channel and every TV. The delay itself changes over time, getting progressively worse, but never better unless cable is relaid.

Try watching baseball when the sound is ahead of the picture. You hear the crack of the bat before you see contact, which is the opposite of how it happens in person. It would be easier to play outfield if sound travelled faster than light, but it doesn't.

A third tech has looked at it and can't see the delay. His supervisor watched recorded video and couldn't see it. It's bad enough it makes me ill at times. The tech tried to correct it but how can you fix something you can't see and probably think doesn't exist.

In the days of CRT monitors on computers, if the refresh rate was set at 60 Hz, I could see the screen repaint 60 times a second, each individual repainting. It made me violently ill and I couldn't look over someone's shoulder which is a huge problem for a programmer trying to help a co-worker debug. At 72 Hz I can still see it, but it doesn't make me as ill. Very few others could see it, but I did find one other person who was also violently affected. The point of this story is when others say they can't see it, I believe them. I also see 3 to 5 times more colors than others see.

I don't have epilepsy. I may have Irlens syndrome - the symptom that I match with Irlens is that large red block letters on a blue background vibrate when I look at them.

This problem is posted all over the internet, and if it has been resolved, no one has posted the resolution. Conversations abruptly end, just as this one did, above.

Regular Visitor

One more thing. If I go next door, it's not happening there, and his cable runs from a different utility box.

It's kind of funny when you're watching a dubbed Kung Fu movie and the lips continue to move after the voiceover stops. I can deal with that. The lips don't match the sound at all on those movies, so it doesn't affect me.

Expert

MFandSB wrote:

One more thing. If I go next door, it's not happening there, and his cable runs from a different utility box.

It's kind of funny when you're watching a dubbed Kung Fu movie and the lips continue to move after the voiceover stops. I can deal with that. The lips don't match the sound at all on those movies, so it doesn't affect me.

when you receive digital TV it comes to you in an mpeg2 or mpeg4 stream (of streams). the streams are not sent separately as it did in the old analog NTSC technology. the sync is done via flags in the audio streams data flags and the set top boxes merely pass that onto your devices via HDMI for processing. If you have bluetooth connected speakers, normally you would use tyour TV's remote to set up lip sync. Computers, smart devices, etc have no delay in output. 

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Rustyben:

All devices are using their own speakers.

When I play video mpegs, the audio and video are in sync on all devices I've tried.

What was the purpose of your reply, please.

Expert

MFandSB wrote:

Rustyben:

All devices are using their own speakers.

When I play video mpegs, the audio and video are in sync on all devices I've tried.

What was the purpose of your reply, please.

that there is no separate path for audio. Tune the TV to a local HD channel (will be in mpeg2). turn off/0 volume the speakers (external) and turn up the TV speakers. now in sync? if not, use your TV remote to find audio lip sync menu to adjust that HDMI input. working properly now?

Regular Visitor

huh?

Turn off the speakers then turn them back on? WHAT? There is only volume control, no on/off switch separately for the speakers, which are built into the TV, so I can't unplug them. This sounds like you're going back and putting some different sets of speakers on my TVs, laptops, and phone. Why? They all come with speakers. I don't have other speakers. And where is this lip sync menu, where do you think it is? I've looked at every setting on my TV, my laptops, and my phone. There's nothing about lips nor synching.

Expert

MFandSB wrote:

huh?

Turn off the speakers then turn them back on? WHAT? There is only volume control, no on/off switch separately for the speakers, which are built into the TV, so I can't unplug them. This sounds like you're going back and putting some different sets of speakers on my TVs, laptops, and phone. Why? They all come with speakers. I don't have other speakers. And where is this lip sync menu, where do you think it is? I've looked at every setting on my TV, my laptops, and my phone. There's nothing about lips nor synching.

Tune the TV to a local HD channel (will be in mpeg2).  Turn up the TV speakers. now in sync? if not, use your TV remote to find audio lip sync menu to adjust that HDMI input. working properly now? (edited for your situation of no external speakers.

Expert
Moved: