Community Forum

On Demand error 7 for weeks

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

On Demand error 7 for weeks

My On Demand has not worked for weeks, usually error #7

I've placed multiple calls to customer service and have repeatedly gone through the protocol of unplugging everything and waiting for it to reload. They've repeatedly attempted to send refresh signals. None of this helps.

Three technicians have come out -- a fourth is scheduled for next week. In the past two weeks, the box has been replaced twice. Each time a tech has come out, he gets it working briefly. Hours later, it's back to error #7 and I'm back on the phone reporting it.

I'm not a new customer. Before this, I regularly and successfully used On Demand.

Everyone I've talked with -- in person and on the phone -- has been polite, some extremely so. I've been impressed with that and with their professionalism. At this point, however, I'm just repeating the same old info to the next new person with no progress. Thoughts?

New Poster

Re: On Demand error 7 for weeks

I am having the same issues, looking for answers?

Regular Contributor

If this is recent, has any of your lines/cables been damaged, or has any of your connection inputs been loosend? Do you have a splitter being used on your end at any point?

You need to find out from your local Comcast if other customers near your zip code are reporting that issue. If there are no other reports it's most likely an issue on your end. Once you find that out you can start resolving it.

New Poster

As I mentioned, On Demand has been completely out for several weeks -- after years with the same cable service and no problems. Three technicians have recently come out and twice replaced the box.

It could certainly be something more complicated like a damaged cable outside (one of the many phone reps suggested that as a possibility).

Diagnosing that kind of cable problem and resolving it is, however, for the cable experts to do. Whether this is an isolated or widespread problem is, I assume, information that those folks have access to and they would act on it accordingly. I don't think they need me to call and determine that for them. I'm not the trained professional who can fix it this problem, I'm just the customer who's reporting it.

As I said, folks have been lovely, much appreciated. I've heard from many reps in the past few weeks about the Comcast Guarantee. So, I take them at their word: I don't want anything fancy, just the cable I'm paying for to be fixed.

Silver Problem Solver

When the tech comes out ask him what he did to make it work? 

Error 7 is displayed when there is a problem with a weak or degraded signal going into the STB which is often caused by a loose/faulty connection going from the wall jack to the back of the STB. Don't assume that even though the fittings are screwed on tight that there is nothing wrong with the connection. The coax cable can work itself loose from the fitting. If Error 7 is displayed on all STB's then the degraded signal is more than likely coming into the home and will require a technician.

Frequent Visitor

I have been having this same issue since Dec!  Did everything you did with the multiple calls, box swaps, tech visits, etc.  I've given up on having them permanently fix it.  However, you can get On Demand, by unplugging the power cable, and the coaxial cable.  (I think that's why everytime the techs come out, it works for them once they've "checked everything" - b/c they just unplugged the coaxial cable, and then after a few hours/day, it goes out again, giving you the 7/14 errors)  You will probably have to do this daily (or sometimes even twice a day!).  A couple of techs said that it was just missing rate codes, but I've had customer service reps check, and they said it's all in there. So who knows what the issue really is.

New Poster

I have the same issue going on.
Silver Problem Solver

post your cable box model and numbers.    Do your neighbors have the same issues?

New Poster

Fixed. The fourth technician came out this week. The connections on the pole outside were badly corroded and needed to be replaced. This fella was a veteran cable guy who said he took one look at the service history for the past few weeks and knew what it likely was. Works perfectly now.

Silver Problem Solver

always ask for a comcast tech not a sub when requesting service.

New Poster

Let's face it folks, Comcast does not have reliable on demand service. I too have been through the same drill with repeated phone calls and service calls.

New Poster

i rearranged my apt, had this err all weekend. i did same thing calls and calls. after reading this forum, i removed the splitter and it resolved my issue! so maybe bad splitter?

thanks for the helpful advice peeps

New Poster

I'm having the same problem with Error 7.  I had Comcast out a few months ago, and FINALLY  everything was working great untll Comcast gave me a $20 credit  to come into my house to trouble shoot for the NEIGHBOR'S problem- now, I'm back to the same old!!!  I have called several times for the last 4 weeks!!  Each Rep. is very nice, very polite, but I get the RUNAROUND!  Tech was to come out yesterday between 12:00-2:00- no show, no call!  Called them- they would get back to me in 1/2 hour- no call, called again- tried to talk to manager- NOT AVAILABLE!  Said Tech would call to reschedule in hour- NO CALL!  Needless to say, I'm ready to scream by now.  Called AGAIN- said Tech would be calling today to let me know what time they would be out- my bet is no call, no show.  If only there was a good alternative to Comcast- but, I hear Direct TV has just as many problems with customer service and, I live in a very wooded area. )-;  I think it's comical they offer a $20 refund, when I've paid $159-179/month!!  It's insulting- my time is worth more than that!!

Thank you for listening!!!!!!

New Poster

This seems to be a common problem.  Over the past 2 weeks, my VOD has been on and off again.   The calls to Comcast are painful and resolve nothing.   I am tired of paying for a service that is unpredictable, unreliable, and frustrating.   

New Poster

Had same problem. Called first time and they told me to disconnect the cable box and reconnect it. That didnt work. Next call they just said that they would need to schedule a service call.

On my own I checked all connections and made sure the cable connections were good and tight and surprise the problem went away. It this happens again I may replace the cheap comcast cable line.

Also, called back to the 800 number to cancel the service call and got a major run around because I didn't have the account number and our service is in my wife's name. I guess the off shore service department doesn't care if the local guys have to run all over town needlessly.

New Poster

That is my story, too. Multiple calls, jumping through hoops to get new signal, unplugging for 30 seconds, replugging, waiting for it to reboot.  I've had a technician out twice. He fixes it and it lasts for a few hours. He's now scheduled to come out again.  On Demand has worked in the past. I also made a trip to the Comcast office to exchange the box.