Community Forum

On Demand Error 7

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

On Demand Error 7

I wanted to watch a movie with my roommate on Friday. I contacted Comcast on the phone as well as online chat. Tonight I still do not have my On Demand. Every time I try to go to On Demand the screen shows that I still need to Contact customer service and Report error 7. I have unplugged my box 3 or four times to allow it to reboot for over 10  minutes, Then upon plugging it back in I and letting it reload I still obtain the same screen. Please Help!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: On Demand Error 7

Error 7 is displayed when there is a problem with a weak or degraded signal going into the STB which is often caused by a loose/faulty connection going from the wall jack to the back of the STB. Don't assume that even though the fittings are screwed on tight that there is nothing wrong with the connection. The coax cable can work itself loose from the fitting. If Error 7 is displayed on all STB's then the degraded signal is more than likely coming into the home and will require a technician.
Try this: turn the STB off, then unplug the power cord. Unhook the coax cable from the back of the STB as well as the wall jack, then inspect the coax & make sure there are no kinks or damage. Verify that the fitting is not loose on the cable, then check the center conductor which looks like a metal pin at each end of the coax cable; it should not be bent nor have anything touching it. Push the center conductor into the small hole in the wall jack as far as it will go, then screw the fitting on tight and wiggle the part of the coax that is attached to the fitting to make sure everything is secure. Follow the same procedure on the STB, first verify that you are connecting the coax to the Cable In/RF In jack. Plug in the power cord, then turn on the STB. Usually in about 5 minutes On Demand will be available to access. This technique is pretty effective in correcting this error.

Frequent Visitor

I tried to do as you suggested. That still has not fixed "this" problem. I am to the point of switching back to my old service provider and cancelling comcast. This is just one of the many issues that has happened since I started with comcast. I also know that quite a few of comcast customers in the state I live in are fed up with the lack of customer service as well as the constant problems that have been occuring with them. I do not know what to do anymore. I pay for a service and still do not get what I pay for?

Silver Problem Solver

have you had a comcast tech out to check out your wiring set up?

What cable box do you have?  Does this happen on all tv's in the house.?

Frequent Visitor

On Friday, they said they would make an open ticket but never offered to send a tech out to look at the wiring. I have only one stb that is a motorola. I moved the stb  to diffrent cable outlets in my house and tried all of them. Still no results. I am about ready to take a coax cable to the main line outside my house to see if it could be the cables running through the house or if it is coming from the lines they have the responsibility to take care of. This is the only other thing I can think of doing to see if its the stb, house cables or their lines.

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Have tried all the same "solutions", with no results. Phone rep is useless, just standard replies that doesn't solve problem.   VOD works fine on main box/tv, but not on any others. Does VOD work standard tv with dvr box?

Silver Problem Solver

if on demand is available in your area you can get it as long as your package comes with it.

your idea of running a long cable to the box I was going to suggest next.  If you do that you can rule out the inside wiring, but you still have the splitters to deal with. 

If VOD works on one tv and not the other then there is most likely a wiring issue or bad splitter.  if you move the box that works to the outlet that doesn't does the problem appear there.  if it does you know its the wiring to that outlet.

Frequent Visitor

Well, the result of hooking up to the main line mounted to the same results as all the others. Error 7  and the other "situations" were not fixed either. So I believe that tomorrow I will have to walk in the local office and have a talk to them. If no results by the talk then comcast lost another customer. I am tired of paying for services that I cannot obtain. I wonder why they give the customer satisfaction guaranteed when they do not uphold the customer satisfaction?

Silver Problem Solver

did you look at the splitter you connected that wire to?  i assume you would have had to do that.  you might need a new line from the pole.   Just so you know the local offices are more for paying bills and exchanging equipment at least by me. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for answering and trying to help. I have an Electric pole beside my house that the Comcast line from the street goes to. There is no splitter until you reach the cable box at the house. I took the main line off the splitter of the main house and hook it in to the cable box itself. Thank goodness for extension cords and televisions that I can easily move. It still showed no results with the stb i origannly recieved. So I was going to take that in to the local office and explain the situation and see if it was the stb itself.

Silver Problem Solver

ok good luck.  please post back with what happens.

Frequent Visitor

Went in to the office today to adress the concerns I had obtained a new box. Got home the box sparked when plugged in. I went back to the office and obtained yet another box. Came home and had a wonderful time chatting online with the anaylasts. They addressed the issues I had and activated the new box. They said that VOD in my area is being enhanced and that is why individuals in the area are not recieving this service at the moment. So I have to wait till they activate this enhancment in my area to use this service. At least now I know what the problem is.

Silver Problem Solver

please post back when you get this "enhancement" to let us know what it is.

Problem Solver

Sorry for the inconvenience. Error 7 means that there is an error with your cable box and the IP address attached to it not receiving a signal with the server. I did not reset your cable boxes yet, can you provide me with the last 4 digits of the boxes serial number that you are having an issue with. Meanwhile l will have someone from your local market follow up with you.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

G934    bedroom box, it is registered in xfinity

Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

NOT resolved.  Still same problem

Contributor

ComcastKeisha wrote:

msjulia--

Sorry for the delay. Are you still having an issue or has this been resolved for you?

I'm having this error now too.  It really sucks.  I've had 2 different boxes, with them being 2 different models, and it still happens.  It also only happens with On Demand.

New Poster

Just got a new DVR box and had the same issue (personally, I think the DCX3400 series boxes are faulty). After going through the manual, I realized that the configuration had not completed. I unplugged the box for about 30 minutes then plugged it back in. I left the box alone overnight and in the AM, OnDemand was working fine. While this may not be the solution to eery problem, I think if the configuration does not complete 100%, the OnDemand will not function properly.

New Poster

I was having the same issue.  I just did a factory reset on my box, then contacted comcast to resend a signal after unplugging box for 1 minute.  It seems to have worked so far.  Search doing a factory reset for your box

Frequent Visitor

I have tried everything suggested and still Error 7. Should I swap boxes? No problems with any other box or TV in the house.

New Poster

I've bee having this issue for 2 months. Chatted with reps and called in for many useless hours. They sent tech out and supposedly increased signal strength but it didn't help. Each time they schedule a tech it takes an additional 4 days to come out. They are quick to setup new service but slow to help exisiting customers. I have never had so many issues. I was a Direct TV customer for 5 years and didn't have reception issues. I am thinking of going back.