Community Forum

Occasional motion artifacts with XiD box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Occasional motion artifacts with XiD box

We installed an XiD box in place of a RNG150 we had been using a few weeks ago.  For the most part, the video has more detail and better colors/contrast with the XiD box than the RNG150.

We are noticing on TBS-HD (735 in our area) some motion artifacts with The Big Bang Theory.  Sometimes, the episodes are pretty clean.  Other times, the jerkiness is noticeable during much of the episode.  During commercials, the video looks great.

The interesting thing is The Big Bang Theory can exhibit similar issues on another channel, FOX-HD (702).  I seem to recall having a specific issue in general with TBS-HD in the past with the RNG150.  For other stations and most other shows/movies, we are not seeing the motion artifacts.

Does this sound like a compression issue with certain shows and/or certain TV stations?

Note: all motion control options on our HD TV have been turned off.  We've tried all three video output options on the XiD box (720p, 1080i, 1080p), and the motion artifacts remain.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Occasional motion artifacts with XiD box

Swap the Xi-D for an XG2. The XG2 is the same price and is a better box.
Regular Contributor

I don't think swapping out the XiD for another box is the solution.  As explained, we were seeing this issue before on the same TV channel prior to installing the XiD.

Gold Problem Solver

The RNG-150 and XiD communicate with the Comcast network entirely differently. The RNG 150 has a built in tuner that talks to the Comcast network directly. The XiD does not have a tuner and borrows a tuner from your X1 DVR. That suggests you are having signal deficiency issues between your X1 boxes. X1 boxes communicate using a technology called MoCA. Your issues suggest you are having issues with MoCA signal levels. This is not uncommon with X1 and it can be tested.

Contact Comcast and have them send a tech out to troubleshoot what appears to be signal issues between your X1 boxes.

Yes the problem could be channel specific.

MichaelCA wrote:

I don't think swapping out the XiD for another box is the solution.  As explained, we were seeing this issue before on the same TV channel prior to installing the XiD.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

That suggests you are having signal deficiency issues with the frequencies those channels ride on. This is common with X1.

Contact Comcast and have them send a tech out to troubleshoot what appears to be incoming signal issues.

MichaelCA wrote:

We had a tech out a few weeks ago because of an outage.  He determined the connector to the cable that runs underground at the drop to our house had corroded.  After cleaning that, he replaced the two splitter setup we had outside the house with a single splitter for three rooms (one with cable modem).  Comcast had originally installed the dual splitter setup.  There are no splitters inside the house.  Each of the three rooms connected have direct cable connections to the outside splitter.

He indicated the long run underground to our house is lowering the signal strength somewhat, but the signal to the DVR downstairs is solid.  At that time, the tech recommended replacing the RNG150 upstairs with the XiD, which we did.  We can see a noticeable improvement in the video quality, even with the channel we are having motion issues with (TBD-HD).  Do note this isn't with all shows on TBS-HD.  The commercials are without artifacts that I can tell (I tend to be sensitive to motion artifacts).  It seems to be a select number of shows which exhibit this issue on TBS-HD.

I am trying to narrow the issue down to either the station, the show (compression), or us.  Given we just had a tech at our house fix and test our system, I am less inclined to believe our setup is the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Please reread my last post which I updated.

MichaelCA wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

That suggests you are having signal deficiency issues with the frequencies those channels ride on. This is common with X1.

Contact Comcast and have them send a tech out to troubleshoot what appears to be incoming signal issues.

MichaelCA wrote:

We had a tech out a few weeks ago because of an outage.  He determined the connector to the cable that runs underground at the drop to our house had corroded.  After cleaning that, he replaced the two splitter setup we had outside the house with a single splitter for three rooms (one with cable modem).  Comcast had originally installed the dual splitter setup.  There are no splitters inside the house.  Each of the three rooms connected have direct cable connections to the outside splitter.

He indicated the long run underground to our house is lowering the signal strength somewhat, but the signal to the DVR downstairs is solid.  At that time, the tech recommended replacing the RNG150 upstairs with the XiD, which we did.  We can see a noticeable improvement in the video quality, even with the channel we are having motion issues with (TBD-HD).  Do note this isn't with all shows on TBS-HD.  The commercials are without artifacts that I can tell (I tend to be sensitive to motion artifacts).  It seems to be a select number of shows which exhibit this issue on TBS-HD.

I am trying to narrow the issue down to either the station, the show (compression), or us.  Given we just had a tech at our house fix and test our system, I am less inclined to believe our setup is the issue.

Regular Contributor

This issue never was resolved.  We've had Comcast to our house a few times since I reported this issue, and nothing has changed.  We've now experiencing audio dropouts for several days or weeks on Destination America HD, as was reported by others earlier this month on this specific forum:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Audio-issues-with-Destination-America-HD-ch-77...

I am inclined to believe Comcast will *NEVER* fix the drop to our house.  Part of it is where the neighborhood utility poles are located.  I am tired of dealing with the lack of more permanent fixes.  While Comcast claims they have very few complaints from our neighbors, the increase of satellite dishes on the neighborhood rooftops the past few years would seem to contradict that.  I can't convince my wife to drop Comcast TV services, almost to the point of confrontation.  It shouldn't be this awful.

Official Employee

Regular Contributor

ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hi @MichaelCA. I have responded to your other post about this located: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Audio-issues-with-Destination-America-HD-ch-77...

The problem described in the above link about Destination America resolved itself soon after and never returned.  Nothing was changed inside the house or at the cable coming out of the ground next to our house to the splitter and DVR filter(?) installed by Comcast.  Now, how is that possible?  No acknowlegement by Comcast that this was an issue on their end.  That's what is so frustrating about using their service.  The customer is almost always kept in the dark on any external issues.

The motion artifacts for select shows is fairly constant.  TBS-HD, ID-HD, and our local Fox HD channel are the biggest culprits.  But it is only select shows that are at issue.  I have yet to see motion artifacts in *any* commercial, even commercials with moving vehicles, running athletes, etc.  Never.  I don't see motion artifacts on any news program or even with sports.

But, I really see the motion artifacts with shows like Big Bang Theory on TBS-HD and our local FOX HD channel.  Homicide Hunter on ID-HD can sometimes be brutal to watch, but everything else on ID-HD seems fine.  How can that possibly be a signal issue for that channel?  Same goes for other shows on TBS-HD, including sports.  They all look fine.  My wife says Dead Files on Travel Channel-HD has motion artifacts, but none of the other programming we watch on that channel exhibits this (now, Dead Files might be recorded strangely).

Maybe I am more sensitive to motion issues (my wife picks them up also, but not as much as I do), but it seems like certain shows are being compressed such that we're seeing it.  I've tried setting the cable box output to 1080p, which the TV is capable of displaying, requiring the cable box to upscale all channels to 1080p.  I've tried setting the cable box output to 720p, which should just pass through most channels except for the few still in 1080i, requiring the TV to upscale all channels to 1080p.

Neither of these makes a difference with the motion issues on the shows noted, although the 720p output option produces a slightly better picture, probably because it is the TV that is upscaling.  Of course, if someone comes here and tells me the cable boxes are not passing through the signals untouched in 720p output mode for 720p channels, I'll probably go postal. Smiley Sad

I wonder if some of these shows are recorded @ 24 fps (23.98), but then they are converted by Comcast to 30 fps (29.97).  Done sloppily, that would induce all sorts of motion artifacts.