Community Forum

Not all shows are on OnDemand. Why is that?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Not all shows are on OnDemand. Why is that?

Why are only some shows OnDemand? I want all shows to be OnDemand and Online.  There are several examples of programs I want to watch but can't because they are not available whenever I have time to watch them. Plus I dont have time nor do I want to sit through the 15 mins of comercials per commercial break, when they air, and I also want to have the ability to fast forward through them if I want, since Comcast is a PAID service. In my opinion and my mind, Paying for Comcast means I should have a subscription to the content itself and therefore it should be provided to me per our agreement how I want it. not how they provide it.  I want the content I paid for delivered to me commercial Free.  I shouldn't have to pay extra by being forced to watch advertisements, For example 2 Broke Girls is a laugh riot but if anyone wants to see it they have to tune in when it airs.  Unless you want to pay per episode for a show on Itunes, which is so expensive and frankly just plain dumb to pay a for a show you can watch in HD for free provided your local station broadcasts in HD and you have the equipment to play it back in HD. I'll probably never pay per episode for something that's supposde to be "Free*".  You can't watch it comercial free.  The only other option is to pirate.  I don't advocate piracy, because stealing is wrong. However, If I wanna watch a show at the time I wanna watch it I shouldn't have to set anything up or record the show, it should be available however I want it because, I'm the customer and it's how I want it. I read that there are licencing agreements from stopping this from happening. I don't understand what these are or what this means. What are these licencing agreements? Why / How do they prevent all shows from being available OnDemand?  My best guess is this is licencing like Microsoft does with it's software, where Comcast has to pay the network for the right to display the content OnDemand? Any thougths on this one?  Can  comcast employee please chime in? Thanks.

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Not all shows are on OnDemand. Why is that?

desert_dweller5 wrote:

Why are only some shows OnDemand? I want all shows to be OnDemand and Online.  There are several examples of programs I want to watch but can't because they are not available whenever I have time to watch them. Plus I dont have time nor do I want to sit through the 15 mins of comercials per commercial break, when they air, and I also want to have the ability to fast forward through them if I want, since Comcast is a PAID service. In my opinion and my mind, Paying for Comcast means I should have a subscription to the content itself and therefore it should be provided to me per our agreement how I want it. not how they provide it.  I want the content I paid for delivered to me commercial Free.  I shouldn't have to pay extra by being forced to watch advertisements, For example 2 Broke Girls is a laugh riot but if anyone wants to see it they have to tune in when it airs.  Unless you want to pay per episode for a show on Itunes, which is so expensive and frankly just plain dumb to pay a for a show you can watch in HD for free provided your local station broadcasts in HD and you have the equipment to play it back in HD. I'll probably never pay per episode for something that's supposde to be "Free*".  You can't watch it comercial free.  The only other option is to pirate.  I don't advocate piracy, because stealing is wrong. However, If I wanna watch a show at the time I wanna watch it I shouldn't have to set anything up or record the show, it should be available however I want it because, I'm the customer and it's how I want it. I read that there are licencing agreements from stopping this from happening. I don't understand what these are or what this means. What are these licencing agreements? Why / How do they prevent all shows from being available OnDemand?  My best guess is this is licencing like Microsoft does with it's software, where Comcast has to pay the network for the right to display the content OnDemand? Any thougths on this one?  Can  comcast employee please chime in? Thanks.

Whatever content that networks allow to use, we make it available. Our content team is constantly working to bring you a wider selection of TV Shows and movies. We add new content daily, but due to licensing agreements with networks, we may not have every movie/show/episode available for viewing.

Why doesn't a network or production company just post their shows online? It can have to do with many factors. DVD sales and syndication deals are just a few of the reasons. Your best bet is to invest in a DVR. You can record any show you like and have full control over the video.

The ad models in the free VOD vary by network and sometimes by show. Some of the content has fast-forwarding disabled while others provide full control over a video. 

If we refused to follow these rules and restrictions then we would simply have no content at all.

Please contact the network directly to voice any concerns you have on this issue.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Contributor

Re: Not all shows are on OnDemand. Why is that?

My issue is that when a provider ( HBO for example ) makes the shows available to Comcast, two things have to happen...first the content has to loaded onto a server, and second "someone" has to type in the titles, etc. into the Comcast On Demand menu software in the system frontend.

This is where the problem is...sometimes this is handled very badly and series are fouled up for weeks. I have confirmed issues with corrupt files and that too has taken weeks to remedy.

I am sick and tired of this being treated as an afterthought by Comcast. Most of these issues appear in the evening, or on a weekend when no one is available to fix anything.

Next come excuses, misinformation and even downright lies about why programing is not available, or problems not fixed.

I am currently dealing with pixelation, stuttering sound, even ejection from my selection that I am certain are from bandwidth problems, bad routers/switches, or servers. This cannot be fixed by any house visits...

It certainly cannot be fixed by someone in Mexico, or India sending a signal to my box(s).