Community Forum

No X1 Swap

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

No X1 Swap

Ok so I just switched to X1 and found no swap feature....how disappointing.  This is a show stopper and I'm probably going to switch back to the old system.

I found a few old threads (a year and a half old) and no fix.

Having ComcastAndrew suggest that the Last button is the same as swap proves he doesn't know what he is talking about ...  or hasn't read the threads cause the differences are explained pretty well.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: No X1 Swap

theStimmer wrote:

Ok so I just switched to X1 and found no swap feature....how disappointing.  This is a show stopper and I'm probably going to switch back to the old system.

Having ComcastAndrew suggest that the Last button is the same as swap proves he doesn't know what he is talking about ...  or hasn't read the threads cause the differences are explained pretty well.

Andrew does indeed know from what he talks about and is a "plus" to this forum.  The LAST button gives you the ability to goto MANY of your last selections, including DVR recordings.. so you have to press an arrow and an ok button...   beats only swapping to the one selection available.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Regular Contributor

I'm guessing you came from Dish Network, where you could watch 2 shows at the same time, pausing and switching between the two.  I agree, I miss that most and I would hope that Comcast could implement this into a future update.  If the Hopper can do it with 3 tuners, X1 should be able to do it with 6.

Regular Contributor

geek46 wrote:

theStimmer wrote:

Andrew does indeed know from what he talks about and is a "plus" to this forum.  The LAST button gives you the ability to goto MANY of your last selections, including DVR recordings.. so you have to press an arrow and an ok button...   beats only swapping to the one selection available.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I agree that Andrew is an asset to this forum, but I'm not sure that you or he understand the swap feature that Stimmer is referring to.  As I stated in my last post, with the Hopper on Dish you can pause one show and "swap" to another and watch it with the first one still being paused.  You can then pause the second one and go back to the first one and watch from it's paused point.  You can do this up to the 1 hour live tv buffer for each channel, watching 2 shows and skipping all the commercials.  It is in my opinion the Hopper's greatest feature.

Silver Problem Solver

So record the shows you want to see, then the last button can switch between them.

X1 turns it's tuners off after so long of not being used, so no tuner = no buffer.

Also I'd be skeptical as to how much running 6 live TV buffers would degrade the lifespan of the HDD, constantly churning away.

Silver Problem Solver

I have had my two Pace V1 DVR's since 2/2013.  My wife and I have done a LOT of recordings.

Having two DVR's with four tuners each helps with the wear and tear, but I think just leaving them on all the time is a bigger issue.  I could be wrong.

The Pace DVR's appear to be more reliable than the two RNG200/RNG200N DVR's I had before that.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

theStimmer wrote:

Sorry,the X1 platform has never had a swap feature and the LAST button is as close as you'll presently get. Since you're new to the X1 platform there's a lot of information in the links contained in the following thread

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-General/td-p/1854693

Regular Contributor

John3758 wrote:

So record the shows you want to see, then the last button can switch between them.

X1 turns it's tuners off after so long of not being used, so no tuner = no buffer.

Also I'd be skeptical as to how much running 6 live TV buffers would degrade the lifespan of the HDD, constantly churning away.

I had a Hopper box for over 3 years with no problems occuring with the drive.  And the swap feature would only use 2 tuners at once, not all 6.  It's something I think Comcast could build into the firmware if they wanted to.

Expert

CoreyD wrote:

John3758 wrote:

I had a Hopper box for over 3 years with no problems occuring with the drive.  And the swap feature would only use 2 tuners at once, not all 6.  It's something I think Comcast could build into the firmware if they wanted to.

how much would you be willing to pay for that feature? comcast would have to pay TiVO to use their patent rights.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

Well, Dish Network and DirecTV thought it was a useful enough feature to do whatever they had to for it to be part of their system. But I know Comcast couldn't care less about user experience, as evidenced by their reputation, so I doubt it would ever be added in if they had to pay for it
Contributor

as I remember, the old comcast boxes that we had, the moto ones, had this feature too, you could pause a show and swap to the other tuner.  with the X1, this is not there.  so, you basically have to record both shows, then watch the recordings while they record.  then, you can use the "last" button to swap between the two recordings.  I do this every sunday when I watch football.

Gold Problem Solver

As Rusty and I have both suggested many times before in this forum, it is very possible this feature was excluded by Comcast as a concession to the patents that TiVo holds on DVR technology.

Silver Problem Solver

RickGr4 wrote:

As Rusty and I have both suggested many times before in this forum, it is very possible this feature was excluded by Comcast as a concession to the patents that TiVo holds on DVR technology.

And any other provider who uses those patents have chosen to pay for them.

Obviously, Comcast has chosen not to pay.  It makes me think that Comcast has other plans in the future for this option.

New Poster

The Swap feature was the best thing about the Comcast cable boxes. I CANNOT STAND the new X1 box. I don't want to have to record two shows to be able to swap between them. It was nice to have a show on one channel and maybe the news on the other and easily toggle between the two. Used to love being able to rewind back between whatever two channels I'd last watched. Gone too are the days of easily scrolling thru On Demand to QUICKLY see what shows are available. It's so much easier and faster to read titles in a vertical list than it is to slog thru pictures of video boxes of which about a third I can't read the print on. The X1 box is a huge FAIL.

New Poster

I agree ... I have had the X1 for 2 weeks now and haven't got used to not having the swap.

You could watch 2 half hour shows in one half hour .... never see one commercial...and not have to be a button pushing fool to do it.  And that is just one example of how good this feature was.

Even trying to go the "record" route doesn't help because when you are watching something you are recording and you pause it, then switch to something else .... when yo go back to the first thing you paused it's at the live time ... not back where you paused it.

There are a couple of nice things about X1 but not having the swap is a giant step backwards in usability.

Silver Problem Solver

I just record both and then watch the recordings and skip the commercials.  Not much difference IMHO.

New Poster

Recording multiple shows is a pain, and you have to clean up your DVR every other day. The swap button should be on the X1 and even better you should be able to swap 4 tuners instead of 2.

How is having multiple tuners and a single hard drive a TIVO patent? If that were the case the X1 shouldn't be able to record more than one program at a time. What the other 3 tuners are doing when I'm not using them? 

Coupled with the other HUGE X1 issues: not being able to record live tv that's already in the DVR queue, and the overlay screens constantly freezing.  It's a typical new product rollout that will finally maximize function and usability, just before the next latest and greatest product moves in to take its place.

Gold Problem Solver

If your X1 service is "freezing", you have signal issues that should be addressed by a tech visit. When your signal levels are within spec, X1 doesn't freeze.......

mobile5900 wrote:

Recording multiple shows is a pain, and you have to clean up your DVR every other day. The swap button should be on the X1 and even better you should be able to swap 4 tuners instead of 2.

How is having multiple tuners and a single hard drive a TIVO patent? If that were the case the X1 shouldn't be able to record more than one program at a time. What the other 3 tuners are doing when I'm not using them? 

Coupled with the other HUGE X1 issues: not being able to record live tv that's already in the DVR queue, and the overlay screens constantly freezing.  It's a typical new product rollout that will finally maximize function and usability, just before the next latest and greatest product moves in to take its place.

Expert

mobile5900 wrote:

your box should have 6 tuners available not just 4 (with one to watch). if you can't record but 5 at one time you can swapout the box for a newer version (the pace vers 1 are culled and not issued any more).  Multiple shows normally have no issues except an intermittent firmware bug where you record 2 consecutive shows on same channel and time is extended by a minute or more. 

Tivo has copyright on ability to pick any tuner and record buffer on all. Your box 'can' do it but not without paying for royalty to use the feature. the fix is easy if you wish to swap. hit record on #1 chan, then change to #2 and #3 etc and hit record. then you can find them on recordings and once you begin playing the assets you can use the last key to toggle between the recordings. 

the overlay issue is fixed on newest firmware 2.2p7s1 and later. if you don't have that level or later call 877-896-8678 and ask them to update you manually.

New Poster

I have had TiVo for years AND Comcast. TiVo is my best box. But I like the On Demand features of the Comcast box. The new X1's inability to swap sounds like a deal between the people who put out the commercials and Comcast. I just got the X1 and if it was my only box I'd really be mad that it had no Swap feature. I have lifetime service on the TiVo, so no payments each month. But TiVo isn't perfect. I love the box and features, but I think they are trying to get people to buy new TiVo boxes because they put a bug in the older ones that causes some color and Closed Caption issues. I hate to be a cynic, but these companies seem to want one thing - MORE MONEY! Of course TiVo says they are working on it because many people have the bug - we'll see. Don't want a new TiVo box. Mine runs circles around Comcast boxes. But, like I say, I like some features like On Demand. TiVo has it, but it goes through Comcast and it's slower than Comcast in that regard. Thanks for listening! Dennis

Expert

closed year old thread