Community Forum

New extra charges for On Demand

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

New extra charges for On Demand

It is extremely upsetting that Comcast has decided to charge extra to watch episodes of normal cable TV shows on demand. My daughter and I were watching IZombie together, and she was out of town for a couple of weeks. The final episode aired this last Tues., but already we can't watch any episodes without being chraged for them. My daughter and I will no longer be watching that show. Dissapointing that Comcast has to charge for access to something we have already paid for in our monthly cable bill.

Official Employee

Re: New extra charges for On Demand

tolerscott wrote:

It is extremely upsetting that Comcast has decided to charge extra to watch episodes of normal cable TV shows on demand. My daughter and I were watching IZombie together, and she was out of town for a couple of weeks. The final episode aired this last Tues., but already we can't watch any episodes without being chraged for them. My daughter and I will no longer be watching that show. Dissapointing that Comcast has to charge for access to something we have already paid for in our monthly cable bill.

Thanks for your comments and feedback here.

Answering your question directly, basically it comes down to licensing agreements. The content providers (owners) are the ones that determine which movies, shows and specific episodes of a show are available (and duration), as well as any pricing guidelines.

We just follow what has been specified as per the current negotiated contract.

As per our current agreement with program providers (the owners of the content), previous episodes of some programs (non-current seasons) are currently offered On Demand on a per episode or a per season cost. The same applies to movies.

Comcast also offers many movies and programs On Demand at no additional charge.

This situation is not unique to Comcast and pricing for this program and other selections (to rent or to buy) are comparable across other platforms and competitors.

New Poster

I find it interesting that the Comast employee states to your post that Comcast added these charges to watch IZombie's season finale beginning the day after it aired due to alleged contract negotiations; however, I can watch it on CW's website for free.

If I knew that they would be changing it to a charged show, I would have recorded it with my DVR instead of the two shows they don't charge for.

This is why I intend to leave Comcast this year. Every year its another frustration and fight with Comcast and they lack communication and instead decide to surprise charges while already having high rates. Comcast is the poster child of nickel and diming customers.

Official Employee

MS22407 wrote:

I find it interesting that the Comast employee states to your post that Comcast added these charges to watch IZombie's season finale beginning the day after it aired due to alleged contract negotiations; however, I can watch it on CW's website for free.

If I knew that they would be changing it to a charged show, I would have recorded it with my DVR instead of the two shows they don't charge for.

This is why I intend to leave Comcast this year. Every year its another frustration and fight with Comcast and they lack communication and instead decide to surprise charges while already having high rates. Comcast is the poster child of nickel and diming customers.

It's interesting because it is actually true. There can be different licensing rules and availability windows for online content compared to content available on TV via On Demand. 

The CW (and their parent company CBS) will confirm what I have stated earlier. http://www.cwtv.com/feedback/comments/

I am glad that anyone can watch these programs online at no charge. That is not the same as watching it on TV via On Demand as per our contact with CW/CBS for this series. 

Season 1 episode 13 is currently available at $1.99 on TV from most all licensed video providers (I haven't checked them all).

That pricing is directly from the CW and CBS who retain most of that money. 

Season 1 episodes 8-12 are available online at no additional charge:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/iZombie/6871071339394992112/full-episodes?cid=customer#episode=81...

For others, below is the link to watch (online and at no additional charge) Season 1 episodes including the season finale episode 13. 

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/izombie/blaines-world/?play=4a4f775c-78a4-4da9-ac2a-7bfe798127a1

Enjoy! 

New Poster

As someone who has worked in the cable industry and not for Comcast, the information provided was absolutely true. Networks contract these shows and cable companies have to fall in line or be in breach. If you ever wonder why your cable bill costs so much, it's because networks know that cable companies have to have the channels or go bankrupt from lack of subscribers. Networks charge cable companies an absorbinent amount of money to carry their channels. I definitely recommend reaching out to the network with those concerns because in this instance Comcast is actually innocent.
Silver Problem Solver

I think part of the issue is that iZombie finished later than most series. There was probably a June 1 cutoff or something that caused what seemed like an early changeover to paid.

Regular Visitor

Still REDICULOUS.  Cable HAS NOT moved forward tech wise or the customer needs it has gone to the crappier  CORPORATE GREED.  Charge any which way they can.

Locked me into a 2 year agreement  (yes it was myself  that agreed) BUT that was BEFORE knowing extra charges to view past episodes or not being able to watch an aired program when I wanrt BECAUSE IT IS BEING RE AIRED. B.S on that one.

New Poster

Really enjoyed IZombie and will be watching via other venues when I am unable to catch it on regularly scheduled time and date. Hulu offers it for free with fewer advertisements.  Elementary is another show I catch up on via on demand and it too is now not offered on demand for the current season. 

This is happening more and more so Comcast isn't as competitive as it used to be.  So long comcast...going back to just the basics or maybe just internet and only because there isn't another provider currently in my area.  As soon as there is comcast is out of my life!!!!

New Poster

Comcast believes that their company is invaulable and a commodity to everyones home. So they charge silly prices for basic channels, bad internet that fails more than works, and charges for watching previous episodes of channels that we pay a monthly subscription for. Not only that who ever it was that decided the prices to watch these episodes must have failed math, because to watch the entire season of say The Blacklist would cost right around 150 dollars. 

So what is it forcing? For people to hop in their cars drive down to Wal-Mart and purchase The Blacklist for 39 dollars, and say kiss my rear. Or go through a different internet provider, purchase a roku and pay the monthly subscription of Netflix. Cheaper. Or become a pirate, and give this silly company and all the other fat cats a big middle finger and take what is owed. No wonder there are now apps such as Popcorn Time springing up I mean you risk nill for downloading because its a stream, and you are not charge more than 15% of your income to watch some programs that are riddled with commercials. 

New Poster

I grant that you have licensing agreements for shows and that different series may charge extra. However, if you are not paying for a license for onDemand, your fees to me should go down dramatically because ostensibly your licensing fees are lower because they are charging extra. So, instead, my fees to you continue to go up and you sign licensing agreements that dont roll in the cost of watching previous seasons for free, devaluing your value proposition. 

Please pass on the savings of these new, less avaluable, licensing agreements to the customer. And stop charging me for sports I dont watch.

Official Employee

2 year old thread closed.