Community Forum

New dual SD/HD cable box pop up message--can't turn it off

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

New dual SD/HD cable box pop up message--can't turn it off

My Standard Definition set top box stopped working.  I swapped it out and was given a box that has both SD and HD capability.  I only have SD tv's so I asked to have SD activated only.  Unfortunately, the cable box now has a pop up message that shows up at the bottom of my screen just before the top of the hour, every hour.  It's just like the box at the bottom of the screen when I change channels, describing the channel name, channel number, program name, and program description but with a new addition: the big yellow highlighted phrase that says : "Watch in HD"  

This hourly pop up message occurs despite turning off all notifications.  I called a CSR, who told me to unplug the box.  This stopped the messages for two hours and then they began all over gain.  I called again and was told to go to the Main Menu, Set Up, and Guide Setup, turning off (per the CSR phone call) the Channel Entry Method (not sure this is the specific source of the pop up problem).  I also turned off the Message Indicator in the Guide Setup.  This Guide Setup may have something to do with this incessant pop up message because the Guide Setup includes an entry called "Reminder Time," and the default setting is "1 minute early." The pop up occurs at 59 minutes past the hour--1 minute before the top of the hour.

I have no programs scheduled.  I have no interest in HD, have no HD tvs.  Any ideas on how to rid myself of these messages?  I'd rather not drive all the way over to the xfinity store to swap out the box again.

Contributor

Re: New dual SD/HD cable box pop up message--can't turn it off

OP Update:  The changes to the Guide Setup recommended by the last CSR made no difference.  Changing the Channel Entry Method (under Guide Setup) from Auto Tune to off or Non-Auto Tune only means that I can't switch to a new channel by entering the new channel's numbers on my remote.  I also tried changing the Reminder Time (also under Guide Setup) to 10 minutes instead of one minute, but the pop up still came up at one minute before the top of the hour.  I've continued to explore other menu categories but nothing seems to apply.  Any help is appreciated.

Contributor

I called Comcast this morning for what was now the third time about this issue of the pop ups occurring every hour.  I asked to have the issue escalated to see if there was something other than unplugging the unit or changing the set up features to remove these pop up messages.  The rep was very nice, created a ticket and said I'd get a call in a day or two.  Surprisingly, the rep called me back about 20 minutes later and said she'd noticed that my cable box was coded and activated for HD, not SD.  She thought that might be why I was getting the pop up messages advising me the program could be watched in HD at the beginning of every hour.  She changed the coding for the cable box so that it was SD only, and the messages stopped.  Kudos to Michelle the CSR who sorted this out.  

Problem solved for one of the few who doesn't have HD televisions but a box that has both SD and HD options.

Official Employee

Hi mabel09,

Thanks for providing updates and the steps it took to get your issue resolved. I'm glad Michelle was able to assist you.