Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

New X1, no DVR, just want to record channel changes

Frequent Visitor

New X1, no DVR, just want to record channel changes

A simple setup, SD, VCR.  All previous boxes from Comcast allowed me to select a program, click on the "R" for record, and the channel changed at the correct time.

I just cannot figure out how to do this on my new X1 Pace XG2v2-P cable box.  I've tried:

1. Reminders - seems to be just a popup.  No channel change unless I am watching TV at that time and click on the message.  I'm not understanding the utility of this, since my phone can give me wakeups.  I need unattended channel changes.

2. Record by going left onto station name/number and pushing the remote's red Record button.  I've seen two responses, which make me suspect channel change without a DVR isn't supported:

--- a) "There is a problem with DVR Services. We're working to restore ...  XRE-06027"

--- b) "Let's check a few things - DVR plugged in ..."

3. Record via "Xfinity TV Remote" smartphone app.  I didn't find any method to record a future channel change. The DVR Manager option explicitly says I need a DVR. 

Comcast switched out my box because I was often losing signal, and their tech said an X1 box might solve the connection problem (it did) because my cable was "configured for X1".  They also said everyone will soon be getting this type box, which is another reason (besides losing connection) that my solution isn't to go back to my old box.

Am I missing something?  

Silver Problem Solver

Re: New X1, no DVR, just want to record channel changes

No, Comcast hasn't had the record to VCR option for years now, you must have had a REALLY old box before the swap that still allowed it for some reason.

X1 does not have the ability to tune to a channel at a specific time like you are looking for. You will either need to change to the channel yourself, via the various methods of changing channels

Expert

.... or you can use the Reminder feature.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/New-Feature-Program-Reminders-in-Comcast-Labs/td-p/2655391

It may not appear in Comcast Labs but still be available.

Official Employee

Stop using your Comcast remote to record, if you are recording onto a vcr you'll need to use your vcr remote. That's why you get errors in number 2 and number 3 Questions. 2 and 3 are DVR commands which you already know that you don't have.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  This was at a summer beach house where they allow seasonal shutoffs (not many areas in the U.S. offer this), and my previous box, a Cisco RNG 100, was given to me just last month by Comcast, so it shouldn't have been too old.

This is a bit disturbing.  Not sure I want to add $30 or $40/mo. to my bill (if I read their pricing sheet correctly).  This year's an Olympic year, so it would have been nice to record different Olympic events on different channels during sleeping hours.

It's not just VCR recording, but in my winter home, which also has Comcast, I record using a DVD recorder, Series 2 TiVos, and a Sandisk V-Mate SD card MP4 recorder.  Even my DTAs there support channel change recording.  Did no one complain about this because most everyone wants a high quality viewing experience, so happily went to HD, with either Comcast DVRs or CableCard?  This seems strange to me, unless I'm the strange, isolated one for being happy enough with SD and cheaper recording solutions.

I guess I'll be looking into other options, like FIOS and Satellite, hoping they have channel change recording.  I like what I have and am pretty sure I'm going to feel extremely put out if I soon have to pay possibly $100 more to get that simple feature back in both houses on all outlets.  I am just now for the first time thinking about cord cutting.

Thanks again for saving me more hours of looking for the answer.

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy wrote:

.... or you can use the Reminder feature.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/New-Feature-Program-Reminders-in-Comcast-Labs/td-p/2655391

It may not appear in Comcast Labs but still be available.

When I tried this, all I got was a popup when the time came.  No automatic channel change.  I let the time pass and still no channel change.  So no unattended channel change that I could see.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Stop using your Comcast remote to record, if you are recording onto a vcr you'll need to use your vcr remote. That's why you get errors in number 2 and number 3 Questions. 2 and 3 are DVR commands which you already know that you don't have.

How does that change the channel?

Scenario: Recording a late night movie on TNT for 2 more hours, I want to go to bed, and want my to record Motorweek on PBS at 5:30am the next morning.

I wasn't questioning why I got the errors, just laying out that I tried everything I knew to do, to forestall anyone possibly telling me to try those things.

Official Employee

Joe_Two wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Scenario: Recording a late night movie on TNT for 2 more hours, I want to go to bed, and want my to record Motorweek on PBS at 5:30am the next morning.

I wasn't questioning why I got the errors, just laying out that I tried everything I knew to do, to forestall anyone possibly telling me to try those things.

You're better off exploring a package that gets you an actual X1 dvr or go back to having a Legacy HD box. Anything you want to schedule to has to be through the VCR. What you want it to do just won't work with the X1 platform.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Joe_Two wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

You're better off exploring a package that gets you an actual X1 dvr or go back to having a Legacy HD box. Anything you want to schedule to has to be through the VCR. What you want it to do just won't work with the X1 platform.

As I explained, the legacy box had frequent outages (approximately one per hour) which the Comcast tech said would probably be fixed if we swapped in an X1 box (he was correct).

I know I can pay more to get that simple feature back. But I don't need or want any of those extra cost services.  It's a 26" TV in a beach house, so HD gets me almost nothing and I don't want the DVR--I have spare series-2 TiVos with lifetime subscriptions that I could bring there if I wanted.  So I'm not really "better off exploring ..." those extra-cost packages.  Comcast is better off (by maybe $30-$40/mo.), not me.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Stop using your Comcast remote to record, if you are recording onto a vcr you'll need to use your vcr remote..

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Anything you want to schedule to has to be through the VCR. 

I just noticed you telling me for a second time that I need to program my VCR.  Just to clarify, in case there's something about this that you see it as an issue, such that you might have a different answer: of course I know that I have to set a recording on my VCR, or TiVo, or DVD recorder, or SD card recorder.  As well, I have to set a channel change recording on my cable box, either manually using the cable box remote, or automatically through infrared or serial cable in the case of some cable boxes and recording devices that support it.  Just like we have been doing for the past, what, 10 or 15 years?

X1 and the $30-$40 upgrade for channel recording is a forced upgrade for me (won't work otherwise since I'm configured for X1), and a change from what Comcast has been offering since we got cable boxes.  It appears you're in the process of abandoning users who use any recorders other than the ones you rent out (with the exception of FCC-mandated support for CableCards).

Expert

Joe_Two wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Stop using your Comcast remote to record, if you are recording onto a vcr you'll need to use your vcr remote..

ComcastAndrew wrote:

X1 and the $30-$40 upgrade for channel recording is a forced upgrade for me (won't work otherwise since I'm configured for X1), and a change from what Comcast has been offering since we got cable boxes.  It appears you're in the process of abandoning users who use any recorders other than the ones you rent out (with the exception of FCC-mandated support for CableCards).

I think you are correct in your observation.  X1 is for those who want a DVR included in their service.

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast charges roughly $10/month for an HD cable (X1 or legacy). They charge roughly $20/month for an HD DVR so swapping an HD box for an HD DVR will add $10/month to your bill.

If you do a lot of recording, why are you doing it using such ancient technology? Why bother recording in SD???

I do not watch SD channels as a matter of principle. In fact I have the guide in my X1 boxes sent to filter to HD channels only.

4K UHD is here. 1080 Full HD is headed out. SD is dead and should be gone.......

As you have realized, the reminder system in X1 boxes is basic and watered down. It cannot initiate a channel change. You cannot "manage" your reminders.

Joe_Two wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

I just noticed you telling me for a second time that I need to program my VCR.  Just to clarify, in case there's something about this that you see it as an issue, such that you might have a different answer: of course I know that I have to set a recording on my VCR, or TiVo, or DVD recorder, or SD card recorder.  As well, I have to set a channel change recording on my cable box, either manually using the cable box remote, or automatically through infrared or serial cable in the case of some cable boxes and recording devices that support it.  Just like we have been doing for the past, what, 10 or 15 years?

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy wrote:

I think you are correct in your observation.  X1 is for those who want a DVR included in their service.

Thanks for the confirmation.  If what the local Comcast agent told me, that "everyone" is going to get X1, then it appears that all new innovations in recording devices by non-Comcast vendors must be through CableCard-equipped devices.  

Frequent Visitor

RickGr4 wrote:

Comcast charges roughly $10/month for an HD cable (X1 or legacy). They charge roughly $20/month for an HD DVR so swapping an HD box for an HD DVR will add $10/month to your bill.

If you do a lot of recording, why are you doing it using such ancient technology? Why bother recording in SD???

I do not watch SD channels as a matter of principle. In fact I have the guide in my X1 boxes sent to filter to HD channels only.

4K UHD is here. 1080 Full HD is headed out. SD is dead and should be gone.......

As you have realized, the reminder system in X1 boxes is basic and watered down. It cannot initiate a channel change. You cannot "manage" your reminders.

Thanks for the confirmation about reminders.

I don't have HD, so it won't be a $10/mo. increment, but rather $30/mo.

I do a lot of recording in SD because of various reasons:

- transportability - can bring DVDs from main home to beach house.

- insignificant quality difference when played on low quality screens - I have perfectly serviceable tube TVs, and small (19", 26", and 28" LCD) TVs, and various smartphones and MP3/video players and tablets and streaming devices where HD isn't possible or is only a marginally better viewing experience.

- productive use of time by watching on small pocketable devices like smartphones - I "watch" Charlie Rose each day with the device mainly in my pocket.  I do other productive things with a tablet or smartphone playing other TV shows and movies.

- Savings - I save $30/mo. per house/DVR using Series 2 TiVos with lifetime subscriptions, and it's perfectly serviceable for me on my old/low quality TVs.  Also I can swap hard drives, install firmware on blank new hard drives, and repair the power supplies, because I own these DVRs.

- VCR recordings siloed - Sometimes I lend out the beach house to guests when I'm not there, and don't want them messing with my recordings. (I could bring a spare TiVo to the beach house, but don't for this reason).

- I just don't care about the quality of HD.  Yes, I have good vision.  It just doesn't matter to me whether the content is super pretty or just nice.  I'm interested in the content.  (OK, sometimes TV shows display text messages that are unreadable, but that's about all I miss with SD).

I asked above whether I'm a really odd customer.  You helped by answering, yes, you think so.  But then I thought about this issue with a smartphone analogy.  I have one of the best smartphones on the best network on one line.  And yet I have low quality phones on other lines, and they are perfectly serviceable (and more rugged) for what I want them to do.  The cell phone industry allows me this choice.  Comcast used to allow me this type of choice, but apparently no longer.

If I had to go DVR, besides the $30 upcharge (per house, and maybe multiple DVRs per house depending on recording space needs), I'd still use the micro-SD card recorder and DVD recorder, but behind this big Comcast device that gives me nothing I need but an unattended channel change feature.  

Before divestiture, the Bell System didn't allow direct connection of phones or other devices to their networks.  You had to rent an AT&T call recorder box, which was expensive overkill, using only one small protection circuit, but none of the call recording functions.  This feels the same.

New Poster

Thanks for having brought this up and discussed in detail.  I got a cable upgrade to save money but now I can't change the channel when I'm not there.  Like you I am not interested in changing all equipment when I have equipment that works and serves my purpose.

Official Employee

Year plus thread closed