Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Netflix/on demand conflict

Contributor

Netflix/on demand conflict

Shows that I was able to watch on demand are no longer available When I click on demand it takes me to Netflix and asks to sign up or sign in Does this mean every show that's on Netflix, I'll no longer be able to watch on X1 on demand?

Problem Solver

Re: Netflix/on demand conflict

If the shows you have been watching ON DEMAND recently without having joined Netfix, are now the property of Netflix. Comcast may have had to remove them from ON DEMAND.

Currently meaning you have have to join Netflix to watch certain films at this time. Or you will have to wait for when they may be available from other sources.

Contributor

Nonsense The shows I'm talking about are on TNT and PBS How can they be property of Netflix?

Comcast is just screwing the cutomer--AGAIN Less service,same $

Problem Solver

If the shows are on the current channels you mentioned then watch them there.

No one channel, cable, etc., has the right to show all programs all the time.

Contributor

Your not grasping the problem If I want to watch the TNT show Bones  go to on demand and click ok on the right side it says on demand and underneath Netflix, where the TNT logo should be So If the show is on Netflix(which bones is, )its no longer available to watch thru Comcast They want you to buy Netflix other shows that arent on Netflix are still available on Comcast on demand

Contributor

This is from another thread

This new partnership with Netflix is pretty much extortion.  Now 90% of the OnDemand content, that I previously had access to and pay to have access to, is now under Netflix.  So either I join Netflix and double pay or I am SOL.  I refuse to pay additional, the cost of my current cable bill is already criminal

Problem Solver

Maybe it's time to bail out.

Hope you didn't fall for any of their offers and end up on a 1 or 2 year contract. None are ever worth it.

Silver Problem Solver

It looks like Comcast has mixed in the Netflix catalog with their own. I'm guessing this is confusing the X1 system and it sounds like it shows the Netflix version first. I'd think there should be an option or secondary list where it shows which services something is available on.

Contributor

Re: Netflix/on demand conflictthere

Well there's not The tech I talked to was going to look into it another poster said the tech told him he's stuck with it soooooooooo?.........

Most Valued Poster

LWB49 wrote:

This is from another thread

This new partnership with Netflix is pretty much extortion.  Now 90% of the OnDemand content, that I previously had access to and pay to have access to, is now under Netflix.  So either I join Netflix and double pay or I am SOL.  I refuse to pay additional, the cost of my current cable bill is already criminal

===

I agree 100%. Why should those of us who have no use for Netflix have so much On Demand content taken away from us? On Demand seems to be more and more the 'norm' these days and NOW we can't get to it unless we PAY for Netflix.  HIghway robbery.  I pay a lot for my Triple Play and On Demand is supposed to be part of what I pay for. No one told us ahead of time that unless we subscribed to Netflix we would lose most On Demand content.

Lots of times I want to view Bones, House and other shows On Demand and NOW I can't! This is ridiculous. I spent a lot of time the other night trying to FIND a show that was NOT only viewable on Netflix. We have been robbed.

I sure would appreciate a Comcast Rep 'splaining' this one to us.

Most Valued Poster

LWB49 wrote:

Nonsense The shows I'm talking about are on TNT and PBS How can they be property of Netflix?

---

This article talks about being able to view Netflix shows On Demand. The shows we can no longer see using On Demand are NOT from Netflix catalog. They are from regular network and cable network. Someone needs to explain why we pay for On Demand as part of our packages and now have pay again by joining Netflix in order to see past episdodes of NON NETFLIX shows. I can't believe this has happened to us.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/comcast-to-launch-netflix-on-x1-to-millions-of-customers...

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

This article talks about being able to view Netflix shows On Demand. The shows we can no longer see using On Demand are NOT from Netflix catalog. They are from regular network and cable network. Someone needs to explain why we pay for On Demand as part of our packages and now have pay again by joining Netflix in order to see past episdodes of NON NETFLIX shows. I can't believe this has happened to us.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/comcast-to-launch-netflix-on-x1-to-millions-of-customers...

Netflix does have exclusive contracts with many cable providers to offer earlier seasons of some of their shows. 

If you have a specific program that you have a question about, I would be glad to research this further.

The Netflix content is 100% additive. Nothing has been subtracted. No content moved.

For example, the AMC series, The Walking Dead - current seasons are available from Comcast via On Demand at no additional charge. Earlier episodes were available from Comcast (as per our contract with AMC) at a per episode rate or per series rate. Those options still exist. They are not new.  

If you have a Netflix subscription, the earlier episodes of that series are included (again, not new, but a new option for Comcast customers).  Based on contract rights,these are episodes that are available from Comcast on a per episode or per series costs; with Netflix they are included.

The addition of Netflix options allows more content to be available, all in one place, on the X1 platform.

On each episode, there is an an option that shows "Ways to Watch" which shows the options. In some cases, it may be more beneficial to subscribe to Netflix for $8.99 a month rather than spend $2.99 per episode.

But those options are there. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

Netflix does have exclusive contracts with many cable providers to offer earlier seasons of some of their shows. 

If you have a specific program that you have a question about, I would be glad to research this further.

The Netflix content is 100% additive. Nothing has been subtracted. No content moved.

For example, the AMC series, The Walking Dead - current seasons are available from Comcast via On Demand at no additional charge. Earlier episodes were available from Comcast (as per our contract with AMC) at a per episode rate or per series rate. Those options still exist. They are not new.  

If you have a Netflix subscription, the earlier episodes of that series are included (again, not new, but a new option for Comcast customers).  Based on contract rights,these are episodes that are available from Comcast on a per episode or per series costs; with Netflix they are included.

The addition of Netflix options allows more content to be available, all in one place, on the X1 platform.

On each episode, there is an an option that shows "Ways to Watch" which shows the options. In some cases, it may be more beneficial to subscribe to Netflix for $8.99 a month rather than spend $2.99 per episode.

====================

Comcast Teds…..I have some great examples for you ….the catalog is all mixed up between what used to be  free Comcast On Demand that we pay for in our packages and Netflix and even Streampix gets into it. Used to be  we could watch previous seasons any time we wanted without any additional features  or fees required. But now…. What a mishmash.  I don’t have Netflix and sure not going to sign up JUST to watch previous season episodes of ‘regular’ programming. As someone said earlier “its extortion”.  

Also when I press ‘watch’ on a Netflix only episode it tell me I need INTERNET service and to upgrade to add to my account. HUH? Of course I have internet service. It should say that  I need Netflix service NOT Internet. This  'need internet service' also happens when I try to view Facebook photos. This happened around the same time Netflix was introduced. Never had the problem before.

Before I begin allow me to  refer to message 5 by LWB49: “Your not grasping the problem If I want to watch the TNT show Bones  go to on demand and click ok on the right side it says on demand and underneath Netflix, where the TNT logo should be So If the show is on Netflix(which bones is, )its no longer available to watch thru Comcast They want you to buy Netflix other shows that arent on Netflix are still available on Comcast on demand”.

Here are some examples of what a mess this is. All are from the  previous season of these shows unless noted otherwise and  are 2016 and some go back to late 2015 depending on the number of episodes and/or split seasons. Older seasons have same issues so I did not detail them. I chose examples from ‘regular’ networks and cable networks. I think I have supplied you plenty to work with. This is one huge mess:

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episodes 1-4 Netflix only

Episode 5  On Demand Free

Episode 6-9  Netflix only

Episode 10-11 On Demand Free

Episode 12-15 Netflix only

Episode 16 On Demand Free

Episode 17 Netflix only

Episode 18-22 Shows ‘ways to watch’ with Free HD and Netflix

SUITS USA SEASON 5

All episodes  require pay to watch one or entire season

ELEMENTARY CBS SEASON 4

All episodes require pay to watch one or entire season and by the way only a few episodes are even listed..NOT the entire season and this is true on other CBS shows as well

VIKINGS HISTORY CHANNEL ( new wrinkles on this one) CURRENT SEASON 4

Episode 1-10    Streampix – Free HD

Episode 11   History channel – Free HD

SEASON 3

Episode 1-10  Streampix- Free HD or  20th Century  Fox….pay to watch one episode or entire season

LAW AND ORDER SVU  NBC SEASON 17 (another new wrinkle)

Episode 1-22 Netflix only

Episode 23  says what looks like regular On Demand but when I go to watch it give me the same message about needing internet service and  upgrading account as I described above.

Can't wait to hear back on what you find out and thanks!

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

====================

Comcast Teds…..I have some great examples for you ….the catalog is all mixed up between what used to be  free Comcast On Demand that we pay for in our packages and Netflix and even Streampix gets into it. Used to be  we could watch previous seasons any time we wanted without any additional features  or fees required. But now…. What a mishmash.  I don’t have Netflix and sure not going to sign up JUST to watch previous season episodes of ‘regular’ programming. As someone said earlier “its extortion”.  

Also when I press ‘watch’ on a Netflix only episode it tell me I need INTERNET service and to upgrade to add to my account. HUH? Of course I have internet service. It should say that  I need Netflix service NOT Internet. This  'need internet service' also happens when I try to view Facebook photos. This happened around the same time Netflix was introduced. Never had the problem before.

Before I begin allow me to  refer to message 5 by LWB49: “Your not grasping the problem If I want to watch the TNT show Bones  go to on demand and click ok on the right side it says on demand and underneath Netflix, where the TNT logo should be So If the show is on Netflix(which bones is, )its no longer available to watch thru Comcast They want you to buy Netflix other shows that arent on Netflix are still available on Comcast on demand”.

Here are some examples of what a mess this is. All are from the  previous season of these shows unless noted otherwise and  are 2016 and some go back to late 2015 depending on the number of episodes and/or split seasons. Older seasons have same issues so I did not detail them. I chose examples from ‘regular’ networks and cable networks. I think I have supplied you plenty to work with. This is one huge mess:

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

SUITS USA SEASON 5

ELEMENTARY CBS SEASON 4

All episodes require pay to watch one or entire season and by the way only a few episodes are even listed..NOT the entire season and this is true on other CBS shows as well

SEASON 3

Episode 1-10  Streampix- Free HD or  20th Century  Fox….pay to watch one episode or entire season

Episode 23  says what looks like regular On Demand but when I go to watch it give me the same message about needing internet service and  upgrading account as I described above.

Thanks for the feedback and examples provided. I will take a look at these now.

I'm not currently in an environment where Netflix isn't activated  - so I may have to look further at this next week and engage some others in a lab environment. I think there are some areas where we can improve the on-screen messaging. 

Short story is that Netflix does have excellent and award-winning original series and movies but a lot of their business historically has been on acquiring and packaging past seasons of network series and providing those On Demand. That's a lot of what Netflix actually is. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

====================

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

SUITS USA SEASON 5

ELEMENTARY CBS SEASON 4

SEASON 3

I'm not currently in an environment where Netflix isn't activated  - so I may have to look further at this next week and engage some others in a lab environment. I think there are some areas where we can improve the on-screen messaging. 

Short story is that Netflix does have excellent and award-winning original series and movies but a lot of their business historically has been on acquiring and packaging past seasons of network series and providing those On Demand. That's a lot of what Netflix actually is. 

ComcastTeds,

OMG....sure hope you can find a colleague who does NOT have Netflix.....

I understand that Netflix has a lot of great series/movies and thats fine for those who want 'more' than what Comcast offers BUT there is no way that we who pay for Comcast should have our free Comcast  On Demand taken away from us just because Netflix has been added as an option....emphasis on the word OPTION. Its just not right to punish us because we don't care to have Netflix and increase our $200+ bills to get what we already pay for.

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

====================

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

SUITS USA SEASON 5

ELEMENTARY CBS SEASON 4

SEASON 3

ComcastTeds,

I understand that Netflix has a lot of great series/movies and thats fine for those who want 'more' than what Comcast offers BUT there is no way that we who pay for Comcast should have our free Comcast  On Demand taken away from us just because Netflix has been added as an option....emphasis on the word OPTION. Its just not right to punish us because we don't care to have Netflix and increase our $200+ bills to get what we already pay for.

We have a lab environment where we can look at this, no worries.

Pretty sure nothing has been "taken away". No one is being "punished".

The older seasons of network shows were previously not even available  from Comcast On Demand - now they are  - as an option from Netflix. 

Either way, I have engaged the right teams to review and verify.  If we have any errors, we will get them corrected. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

LWB49 wrote:

---

====================

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

SUITS USA SEASON 5

ELEMENTARY CBS SEASON 4

SEASON 3

ComcastTeds,

The older seasons of network shows were previously not even available  from Comcast On Demand - now they are  - as an option from Netflix. 

Either way, I have engaged the right teams to review and verify.  If we have any errors, we will get them corrected. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

----

The examples I gave were from the most recent previous season from 2016 and I am pretty sure I could watch those episodes of network shows for free before Netflix was added. Not talking about ancient history.  I didn't find the Netflix-On Demand conflict any special way....just by doing what I always did to watch older shows...sometimes to catch up or sometimes because some DVR glitch missed recording.   You can also  see how the options changed from episode to episode and that is just not right.

From reading posts from others on this thread  I am not alone in what I used to be able to watch free and now can't since Netflix was added as an option. Something is wrong.

Official Employee

Thanks for the feedback. 

----

The examples I gave were from the most recent previous season from 2016 and I am pretty sure I could watch those episodes of network shows for free before Netflix was added. Not talking about ancient history.  I didn't find the Netflix-On Demand conflict any special way....just by doing what I always did to watch older shows...sometimes to catch up or sometimes because some DVR glitch missed recording.   You can also  see how the options changed from episode to episode and that is just not right.

From reading posts from others on this thread  I am not alone in what I used to be able to watch free and now can't since Netflix was added as an option. Something is wrong.

The team is still reviewing the examples that you provided but so far everything seems to be working as expected as far as what's available in which packages.

Some additional feedback from our X1-Netflix team: 

Regarding the comingling of entitled (subscribed) and free content, we are looking at ways to make it easier for customers to discern the difference. This concern is known and has been noted. This is currently a known implementation issue; Netflix does not share entitlement information with us, so we don’t know who has (or does not have) Netflix, and can’t filter out subscription content in the “Free To Me” filter.

We are working with Netflix to get this information from them; they have to develop a new solution for us, and we’re the only partner (with 7 out of 1,500+ device integrations) asking for it. We don't have a timeline yet, but we are aware and looking at solutions.

Building a complete catalog of content has been a goal of Comcast for quite some time now, but availability and pricing is often determined by the content owners. 

The root cause is the myriad, complex, overlapping, licensing terms from the programmers. Instead of simply licensing ALL episodes of a series for a reasonable fee, the content owners/programmers sell pieces/parts to different services. By trying to aggregate them all into one place to make it easy for consumers, we end up inadvertently exposing our customers to this complexity.

In 2017 we are revisiting how we expose and merchandise episodic content to still remain an aggregator of aggregators, but make it clearer which content is “free” to the consumer, and which requires some additional fees or subscriptions. While this won't solve the perception of “more episodes used to be free, now they are not,” but it will hopefully make it easier for customers to see "which is which" faster.

We'll let you know as the teams make more progress on the solution…

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. 

----

The team is still reviewing the examples that you provided but so far everything seems to be working as expected as far as what's available in which packages.

Regarding the comingling of entitled (subscribed) and free content, we are looking at ways to make it easier for customers to discern the difference. This concern is known and has been noted. This is currently a known implementation issue; Netflix does not share entitlement information with us, so we don’t know who has (or does not have) Netflix, and can’t filter out subscription content in the “Free To Me” filter.

We are working with Netflix to get this information from them; they have to develop a new solution for us, and we’re the only partner (with 7 out of 1,500+ device integrations) asking for it. We don't have a timeline yet, but we are aware and looking at solutions.

Building a complete catalog of content has been a goal of Comcast for quite some time now, but availability and pricing is often determined by the content owners. 

The root cause is the myriad, complex, overlapping, licensing terms from the programmers. Instead of simply licensing ALL episodes of a series for a reasonable fee, the content owners/programmers sell pieces/parts to different services. By trying to aggregate them all into one place to make it easy for consumers, we end up inadvertently exposing our customers to this complexity.

In 2017 we are revisiting how we expose and merchandise episodic content to still remain an aggregator of aggregators, but make it clearer which content is “free” to the consumer, and which requires some additional fees or subscriptions. While this won't solve the perception of “more episodes used to be free, now they are not,” but it will hopefully make it easier for customers to see "which is which" faster.

-------------

I really appreciate that someone is already looking at this but working as expected? Ask them to explain BONES episode 'comingling'....

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

Most Valued Poster

Now that I have provided examples and feedback it sure would be nice to hear from the other users who posted on this subject. Come on down and speak up.

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. 

----

-------------

I really appreciate that someone is already looking at this but working as expected? Ask them to explain BONES episode 'comingling'....

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

As mentioned earlier, the On Demand team is still reviewing the examples that you provided but so far everything seems to be working as expected as far as what's available in which packages.

I have asked that the team review the Bones series (season 11) from Fox to re-confirm and to get anything corrected that may need to be corrected. Some episodes may be moving in and out of licensing windows that may have caused an issue based on timing.

Looks like all of Season 11 are now labeled as "included with Netflix".  

Thanks for your patience. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. 

----

-------------

BONES-  FOX  SEASON 11

Episode 17 Netflix only

As mentioned earlier, the On Demand team is still reviewing the examples that you provided but so far everything seems to be working as expected as far as what's available in which packages.

I have asked that the team review the Bones series (season 11) from Fox to re-confirm and to get anything corrected that may need to be corrected. Some episodes may be moving in and out of licensing windows that may have caused an issue based on timing.

Looks like all of Season 11 are now labeled as "included with Netflix".  

Thanks for your patience. 

ComcastTeds...thank you so much for the update and yes I noticed that Season 11 of Bones is now all Netflix 'labeled'. Makes it consistent but still does not explain why shows like this are not On Demand for those who don't choose to pay for Netflix. As discussed these are regular network and cable shows that we can't view any longer inless we pay for Netflix. This is disturbing.

Official Employee

Apologies for any confusion. There are specific and strict licensing terms and conditions for each series and network. The terms and conditions can (and do) vary vastly by series and by network. That doesn't make it any easier for our customers. It's a challenge that we are working on a solution for.    

Seasons and series go in and out of licensing windows based on those terms and conditions. This is not new.

Certainly agree that this situation is more apparent and more noticeable based on the large amount of new (earlier) series content from cable networks that Netflix now provides; content that is new and additive to our On Demand platform. This is content that was previously unavailable On Demand from Comcast. 

As mentioned earlier, there is a concentrated effort to better showcase these variances more clearly with on-screen text - that's on us to deliver. 

Thanks for your feedback and your patience. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

Apologies for any confusion. There are specific and strict licensing terms and conditions for each series and network. The terms and conditions can (and do) vary vastly by series and by network. That doesn't make it any easier for our customers. It's a challenge that we are working on a solution for.    

Seasons and series go in and out of licensing windows based on those terms and conditions. This is not new.

Certainly agree that this situation is more apparent and more noticeable based on the large amount of new (earlier) series content from cable networks that Netflix now provides; content that is new and additive to our On Demand platform. This is content that was previously unavailable On Demand from Comcast. 

As mentioned earlier, there is a concentrated effort to better showcase these variances more clearly with on-screen text - that's on us to deliver. 

==

I just want the programs I could watch on Comcast On Demand before Netflix came to Comcastd to be FREE for me to watch without having to pay for Netflix. We are indeed being held hostage with this 'new' method of presenting programming and I am not the first one to say this by reading the first few posts on this thread.  I 'get' the licensing terms/conditions BUT those things didn't seem to interfere with what we could see free On Demand before Comcast got in bed with Netflix. To lose what was part of what I pay $200 for is a travesty. Reduce the package prices if we can't have free On Demand of programs that were not part of  Netflix catalog before it came to Comcast.

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

==

I just want the programs I could watch on Comcast On Demand before Netflix came to Comcastd to be FREE for me to watch without having to pay for Netflix. We are indeed being held hostage with this 'new' method of presenting programming and I am not the first one to say this by reading the first few posts on this thread.  I 'get' the licensing terms/conditions BUT those things didn't seem to interfere with what we could see free On Demand before Comcast got in bed with Netflix. To lose what was part of what I pay $200 for is a travesty. Reduce the package prices if we can't have free On Demand of programs that were not part of  Netflix catalog before it came to Comcast.

Can you provide examples of specific shows and series that you used to be able to view via On Demand before Netflix arrived?

Our On Demand team researched the earlier ones that you provided above and all is working as designed  - all the older series and episodes were indeed additive once Netflix was added to On Demand as a provider. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

==

Can you provide examples of specific shows and series that you used to be able to view via On Demand before Netflix arrived?

Our On Demand team researched the earlier ones that you provided above and all is working as designed  - all the older series and episodes were indeed additive once Netflix was added to On Demand as a provider. 

Oh My goodness no I cannot. Let me just say that there was never a time when we needed to watch a network or cable network show On Demand that it was not free. Most of the time the reason we had to use On Demand was when an episode of a scheduled program series did not record for some reason and NOT because of a conflict. Yes indeed that does happen and still does.

The shows I provided before were from the most recent completed season and most were from 2016  and I don't consider that older.

Let me clarify something you said...... did you mean by  'additive' that anything other than current seasons went under the Netflix unbrella so could only be seen if a user subscribes to Netflix? It thats what you meant....thats my entire point...why should we lose free shows just because Netflix came to Comcast?

I really appreciate the time you are taking to discuss and help me

Official Employee

Oh My goodness no I cannot. Let me just say that there was never a time when we needed to watch a network or cable network show On Demand that it was not free. Most of the time the reason we had to use On Demand was when an episode of a scheduled program series did not record for some reason and NOT because of a conflict. Yes indeed that does happen and still does.

The shows I provided before were from the most recent completed season and most were from 2016  and I don't consider that older.

Let me clarify something you said...... did you mean by  'additive' that anything other than current seasons went under the Netflix unbrella so could only be seen if a user subscribes to Netflix? It thats what you meant....thats my entire point...why should we lose free shows just because Netflix came to Comcast?

examples of specific shows and series that you used to be able to view via On Demand before Netflix arrived?

Sometimes licensing deals can be changed or triggered at mid-season; the cable and broadcast networks are looking to monetize their programming investments any way they can (yes, including basic cable networks like TNT and broadcasters like PBS).

Some cable and broadcast networks are and have been more aggressive than others in this space.

"Additive" meaning that there are many specific shows, series and episodes that were NOT previously available On Demand from Comcast and now that Netflix has been added as a provider to Comcast, these shows, series and episodes are now available as an option to view (if one subscribes to Netflix, of course).

That is a good thing. 

Also, Netflix offers a free 30-day trial on all of their platforms. 

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

examples of specific shows and series that you used to be able to view via On Demand before Netflix arrived?

Sometimes licensing deals can be changed or triggered at mid-season; the cable and broadcast networks are looking to monetize their programming investments any way they can (yes, including basic cable networks like TNT and broadcasters like PBS).

Some cable and broadcast networks are and have been more aggressive than others in this space.

"Additive" meaning that there are many specific shows, series and episodes that were NOT previously available On Demand from Comcast and now that Netflix has been added as a provider to Comcast, these shows, series and episodes are now available as an option to view (if one subscribes to Netflix, of course).

That is a good thing. 

Also, Netflix offers a free 30-day trial on all of their platforms. 

Thanks for that explanation but seems way too ironic that we lost the capability to watch FREE previous season(s) of network and cable shows at the exact same time Netflix was introduced. Its like Netflix now owns the catalog of what we have always been able to watch for free because of our Comcast packages. I just want what I pay for and I have no desire to have Netflix. Many love it but we pay a lot for hundreds of channels as it is. You and I are at a stalemate over this issue.

New Poster

Can you explain why everything just says "on demand", even when it's Netflix? For example, I'm trying to queue up an episode of Sofia the First for my daughter, which has always had plenty of episodes available on demand. Now every episode appears to be available "on demand", but every one I've selected to "watch" so far has taken me to the Netflix app. How can I easily see which episodes are ACTUALLY on demand, not only Netflix?

On a side note, if Netflix is so great and really offers all of this content on demand, I see no reason to keep paying for tv. Comcast should consider throwing in the $8.99 since its customers already pay a disgusting amount of money each month, or they're just going to show us all how much content is available through Netflix and how little is now offered by xfinity on demand, and make us all want to switch to Netflix only...
Most Valued Poster

ShadowTheta6 wrote:
Can you explain why everything just says "on demand", even when it's Netflix? For example, I'm trying to queue up an episode of Sofia the First for my daughter, which has always had plenty of episodes available on demand. Now every episode appears to be available "on demand", but every one I've selected to "watch" so far has taken me to the Netflix app. How can I easily see which episodes are ACTUALLY on demand, not only Netflix?

On a side note, if Netflix is so great and really offers all of this content on demand, I see no reason to keep paying for tv. Comcast should consider throwing in the $8.99 since its customers already pay a disgusting amount of money each month, or they're just going to show us all how much content is available through Netflix and how little is now offered by xfinity on demand, and make us all want to switch to Netflix only...

=====

You bring up an excellent point about On Demand vs Netflix. I have been so angry that what I used to be able to watch On Demand for my $200 a month Comcast X1 package is now ONLY viewable if I pay for Netflix. I still say this is  so wrong as it holds us hostage unless we pay for Netflix JUST to use On Demand. I have heard explanations about licenses and content and so forth included in this thread but no one has explained to my satisfaction why Netflix has become the 'owner' of most of On Demand programming on network and cable channels which have nothing to do with Netflix programming. On Demand is (or was) a feature of Comcast so how did Netflix get control of it?

Problem Solver

If you take the series Bones for example. You can find reruns of Bones on different channels, but cannot watch it  on demand or streaming anywhere. Why? Netflix bought the on demand and streaming rights for Bones for a certain amount of time. Netflix does this for a bunch of shows. Most of Netflix content is reruns of network and cable TV shows. TNT might have had the rights to Bones reruns on demand for awhile and then decided not to renew or Netflix out bid them for the on demand rights.Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

dwitham wrote:

If you take the series Bones for example. You can find reruns of Bones on different channels, but cannot watch it  on demand or streaming anywhere. Why? Netflix bought the on demand and streaming rights for Bones for a certain amount of time. Netflix does this for a bunch of shows. Most of Netflix content is reruns of network and cable TV shows. TNT might have had the rights to Bones reruns on demand for awhile and then decided not to renew or Netflix out bid them for the on demand rights.Smiley Happy

Actually, old TV shows is a shrinking part of Netflix streaming. Many movies and TV shows have been disappearing. They are focusing more and more on their own programming.

Problem Solver

You are right their content is shrinking. They are becoming more and more like HBO. Which is what they want to be like.

Most Valued Poster

dwitham wrote:

==

Help me understand..... I pay $200 a month for my premium package of which On Demand is a part. Netflix bought the rights for all these shows so now I don't get what I pay for?  They continue to advertise On Demand and NOT one mention of it being provided by Netflix. There was never a bill enclosure, letter, email, etc telling me that we would lose On Demand when Netflix was introduced. What is wrong with this picture? Bones was the first series where I encountered  this problem. I posted all the 'watching' options On Demand showed which at the time was mixed but after it was investigated for me they changed all of them to Netflix.  Gee thanks Comcast.

Check out my post ....#22 to see the shows I reported.

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

dwitham wrote:

==

Help me understand..... I pay $200 a month for my premium package of which On Demand is a part. Netflix bought the rights for all these shows so now I don't get what I pay for?  They continue to advertise On Demand and NOT one mention of it being provided by Netflix. There was never a bill enclosure, letter, email, etc telling me that we would lose On Demand when Netflix was introduced. What is wrong with this picture? Bones was the first series where I encountered  this problem. I posted all the 'watching' options On Demand showed which at the time was mixed but after it was investigated for me they changed all of them to Netflix.  Gee thanks Comcast.

Please review my posts above. No programs were removed or "re-assigned".

If you have specific examples, I would be glad to address those specifically. Nothing was changed based directly on your posts.

Programs go in and out of licensing windows all the time based on complicated arrangements and contracts. 

Apologies that we haven't made the distinction clearer in the on-screen guide, but there are plans to do that as mentioned above. 

Problem Solver

Comcast has little or no control over what is avliable on demand. That is up to each network and cable channel. If you had a legacy DVR and not the X1 with Netflix you would only see the current season of shows and not any of the previous seasons. Having Netflix has nothing to do with losing any on demand those shows would be gone anyway. If Comcast hadn't added Netflix to the X1 and added their shows to the on demand listings those past seasons just would not show up in the listings. 

The only thing Comcast might be able to do is to get a slightly reduced rate when the channel comes up for renegotiation.

Most Valued Poster

dwitham wrote:

Comcast has little or no control over what is avliable on demand. That is up to each network and cable channel. If you had a legacy DVR and not the X1 with Netflix you would only see the current season of shows and not any of the previous seasons. Having Netflix has nothing to do with losing any on demand those shows would be gone anyway. If Comcast hadn't added Netflix to the X1 and added their shows to the on demand listings those past seasons just would not show up in the listings. 

The only thing Comcast might be able to do is to get a slightly reduced rate when the channel comes up for renegotiation.

===

I have not had legacy DVR in many years but I was able to watch previous seasons On Demand for free if I chose to 'catch up'.   I am curious as to where you found the information that past seasons would not have shown up if Netflix had not been added? They were there before so what 'rule' would have made them go away? The fact that Comcast did not share the change in On Demand  and what was free or not when Netflix came along is most disturbing as so much changed with what we could watch without paying for Netflix.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

TerriB wrote:

dwitham wrote:

==

Please review my posts above. No programs were removed or "re-assigned".

If you have specific examples, I would be glad to address those specifically. Nothing was changed based directly on your posts.

Programs go in and out of licensing windows all the time based on complicated arrangements and contracts. 

Apologies that we haven't made the distinction clearer in the on-screen guide, but there are plans to do that as mentioned above. 

Comcast Teds, As you should recall I did give specific examples. Heaven forbid that any posts or examples we are asked to provide would result in something being done but in my case it wasn't long before this one was fixed and you replied in post #21.....

"I have asked that the team review the Bones series (season 11) from Fox to re-confirm and to get anything corrected that may need to be corrected. Some episodes may be moving in and out of licensing windows that may have caused an issue based on timing. Looks like all of Season 11 are now labeled as "included with Netflix"  "

Sorry but the ' moving in and out of licensing windows' explanation is getting old. Before Netflix there didn't seem to be that issue. We had Free On Demand shows from previous seasons on network and cable channels. You stated in post #16 that before Netflix we could not watch previous seasons On Demand and that is just not a factual statement. 

It is unfair  to customers not to have disclosed/explained what was going to happen to Free On Demand when they added Netflix....period.  May not have liked it but at least would have known what to expect.

Speaking of providing examples with no results......many months ago at a rep's request some of us provided examples of recordings that will not delete unless we sync the DVR and the problem is still there. And now when we cancel recordings they don't show  cancelled unless we back out of the 'saved' menu and go back into it. That is a royal pain when taking care of conflicts and having to check and recheck the cancellations.  What we can see for free is losing ground, can't delete recordings, can't see cancellations...jeez.

Problem Solver

I'm saying that if you have a non X1 DVR now all you see on demand for "Bones" is current 12th season with no other listings unless it says you can rent or buy the past episodes.  With the X1 you see the current season and all the previous seasons but they are only avaliable with Netflix. There was no change to on demand because Comcast added Netflix to the X1 other than the Netflix listings are now part of on demand. The past seasons of "Bones" would be gone from on demand whether Comcast added Netflix or not, because Netflix bought the rights.Smiley Happy

Most Valued Poster

dwitham wrote:

I'm saying that if you have a non X1 DVR now all you see on demand for "Bones" is current 12th season with no other listings unless it says you can rent or buy the past episodes.  With the X1 you see the current season and all the previous seasons but they are only avaliable with Netflix. There was no change to on demand because Comcast added Netflix to the X1 other than the Netflix listings are now part of on demand. The past seasons of "Bones" would be gone from on demand whether Comcast added Netflix or not, because Netflix bought the rights.Smiley Happy

Oh ok....I have no idea what a legacy DVR shows since I don't have any. So to me it looks like they are taking the DVR back to legacy 'look and feel' when it comes to past seasons unless we want to pay to watch . Might as well not even have On Demand with X1 for network and cable channels.  What a rip off. When was the decision made to remove free past seasons of programs if it did not coincide with the addition of Netflix and why would Netflix buy the rights if they were not going to partner with Comcast? Seems odd to me. Its just deplorable that they don't tell us ahead of time that they are going zap a well used and popular feature of X1 . Not everyone wants to pay for Netflix. I know they have lots of popular shows but we have plenty of good ones to choose from on Comcast thank you very much . With work and lifestyles in my house our DVR is our saving grace.

There are also many gaps in episodes of current season programs.  Its mind boggling to see how fast they remove them and only leave a few to watch and/or pay for. One perfect example is Elementary...only  episodes 11-13 are available to watch from the current season and as more are come on air they drop more so that they are always  only 3 available. WHAT the HECK? That show got all hosed up due to Sunday football but we 'knew' we could catch up  but sadly....NOT.

Official Employee

There are also many gaps in episodes of current season programs.  Its mind boggling to see how fast they remove them and only leave a few to watch and/or pay for. One perfect example is Elementary...only  episodes 11-13 are available to watch from the current season and as more are come on air they drop more so that they are always  only 3 available. WHAT the HECK? That show got all hosed up due to Sunday football but we 'knew' we could catch up  but sadly....NOT.

CBS only allows the most recent three episodes of this program to be available to Comcast for On Demand at no additional charge as per the terms and contract that we have with CBS. 

Additional episodes of this program can be found online here from CBS:  http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary/

Most Valued Poster

ComcastTeds wrote:

CBS only allows the most recent three episodes of this program to be available to Comcast for On Demand as per the terms and contract that we have with CBS. 

Additional episodes of this program can be found online here from CBS:  http://www.cbs.com/shows/elementary/

==

Well thats a new wrinkle to add to my angst. I see other CBS shows with only 3 available. WOW! So now when sporting events go way over their guide end time or there is a break- in for special report,etc you are telling me that the ONLY way we can watch these programs is on the internet. Oh MY GOD. Thats why we buy big tvs so we can all huddle around a computer/tablet/phone to watch tv.

Official Employee

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

CBS only allows the most recent three episodes of this program to be available to Comcast for On Demand as per the terms and contract that we have with CBS. 

==

Well thats a new wrinkle to add to my angst. I see other CBS shows with only 3 available. WOW! So now when sporting events go way over their guide end time or there is a break- in for special report,etc you are telling me that the ONLY way we can watch these programs is on the internet. Oh MY GOD. Thats why we buy big tvs so we can all huddle around a computer/tablet/phone to watch tv.

No, I am not saying that.

With a DVR, yes, Sunday programs on CBS may be cut off due to Sunday sports pre-emptions. 

For On Demand, we get shows sent to us from the provider so the situations you cited shouldn't be an impact for On Demand programs.

CBS mandates that only the most recent 3 shows from this series are available On Demand at no additional charge; this is not a unique situation to Comcast.

CBS is looking to monetize their programming investment.  

Silver Problem Solver

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

==

Remember that CBS has their own AllAccess service. They'd rather you pay to watch shows on that than through 3rd party OnDemand.

Most Valued Poster

andyross wrote:

TerriB wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

==

Remember that CBS has their own AllAccess service. They'd rather you pay to watch shows on that than through 3rd party OnDemand.

I am aware and  its just another way by another provider to get consumers to pay for programming that we pay for thru cable services.  All access subscription from networks and  Hulu, Amazon, Netflix. And lets not forget Roku/Lifetime/Chromecast/Google and on and on. Where does it end?  Some of them add new content and some want to cut off/into what we have been getting free from not so cheap cable providers. To me On Demand is not third party...its part of my Comcast package and sure is heavily advertised with zero caveats. It is still my contention that Comcast owes its customers full disclosure and so far nothing.

Most Valued Poster

No, I am not saying that.

With a DVR, yes, Sunday programs on CBS may be cut off due to Sunday sports pre-emptions. 

For On Demand, we get shows sent to us from the provider so the situations you cited shouldn't be an impact for On Demand programs.

CBS mandates that only the most recent 3 shows from this series are available On Demand at no additional charge; this is not a unique situation to Comcast.

CBS is looking to monetize their programming investment.  

===

Its not just Elementary.....its most CBS shows that only have a few episodes available On Demand. Its a sad world when networks can mandate to providers what can be shown or not.  Sounds like the agreements and payouts  between  cable providers and programming providers is a hostile stranglehold environment and too much pay for play. Is this why Cox and Dish network customers are alway  being told they may lose certain channels? Recently here in the DC area scrawl says CBS may be takenn away.

All sounds like an industry legal  entanglement issue to me.  Soon no one will want to pay Comcast and others like them  at all. A cable customer pays lets say $200 for a Comcast package and  $8.99 each for Hulu/Netflix, $9.99 for CBS, $99 a year for Amazon Prime.....!!!!  Many are going back tor basic lineup for Comcast so they can have all those others.  More extreme is as  with some I know have dropped Comcast and have those subscription services mentioned above. They watch network on a device when they need to see the news.etc  so sounds like the future is bleak. I have no doubt that Comcast and others will have to dramatically increase their rates to compensate. The loser is the consumer who does not have the inclination for more non cable services and/or the money to pay more for programming than they pay for their mortgage/rent. Allow me to add my baby boom generation retired on fixed income who look to TV programming for entertainment.  Even dinner and a movie away from the house is cost prohibitive these days.  In my case we are very dependent on Comcast but getting less and less for our money. Yeah yeah...whining but walk in our very typical shoes of this aging population.  I feel like I am being held hostage and being extorted.

New Poster

Sounds like a class action lawsuit is a good idea on this Netflix/Comcast collusion.