Community Forum

Netflix on X1 parental controls

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Netflix on X1 parental controls

Just got my new cable box upgrades to get Netflix.  So far so good. I did notice that apparently the TV rating locks have an effect on the Netflix app. If any TV Rating locks are set, you must enter the parental control passcode to get into Netflix. While I understand that Netflix has shows that run the full spectrum of TV ratings, I would prefer a separate setting to determine whether to passcode protect Netflix. Let Netflix and their parental controls handle what type of shows can be viewed. I hope Xfinity will revisit this in future X1 releases.

Expert

Re: Netflix on X1 parental controls

dieter87 wrote:

Just got my new cable box upgrades to get Netflix.  So far so good. I did notice that apparently the TV rating locks have an effect on the Netflix app. If any TV Rating locks are set, you must enter the parental control passcode to get into Netflix. While I understand that Netflix has shows that run the full spectrum of TV ratings, I would prefer a separate setting to determine whether to passcode protect Netflix. Let Netflix and their parental controls handle what type of shows can be viewed. I hope Xfinity will revisit this in future X1 releases.

Comcast is not your parental controls method. Run the Netflix app or on desk/laptop go to Netflix.com and login. select settings, account, parental controls. Once set any show at or higher requires the Pin you set at Netflix.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Visitor

I have actually been having this same issue since netflix launched. It isn't the netflix parental controls because I have none set. I also don't have parental controls set for apps on X1. I only have a pin set for shows of various ratings and purchasing things. When my daughter says My Little Pony, and its live on TV, it lets her watch but if she goes to Netflix, it will always ask for the pin.

I haven't found a way to correct this yet.

Visitor

***EDIT: I found out what the issue is, and there's currently no solution. Long story short, its working as intended.

A comcast X1 Technical Representative explained to me that if there are any parental ratings restrictions on the X1, netflix will be pin gated, even if you are chosing a show within the allowed ratings. This is because once youve entered the netflix app, you are able to change shows at will and could use this to bypass the X1 rating locks. 

Here's some information I should have provided in the previous post. (I apologize if I would have begun my own thread.)

My livingroom box is an AR AX013ANM. I had an active Netflix account before signing in onthe X1.

I have attempted resetting parental controls on the X1, but if I have them enabled for any shows, it will ask for it when entering Netflix.

This is a minor nuisence, but it has forced me to plug the Roku back in so my kids can watch their shows while I'm gone.

New Poster

This is such an inconvenience. If I have parent controls set for xfinity demand and I know that I have Netflix as well, it should be my choice to either set parental controls on Netflix accordingly or just block it altogether. This is making it so much more difficult than it needs to be. It's basically forcing me to take parental controls off altogether.
Official Employee

Hello SonChild, at this point this is the only way to have parental controls for Netflix with the X1 platform. I understand how this can be an inconvenience.

New Poster

I have the same complaint. Here's how to fix it, to some degree. In xfinity, settings, patental controls, tv ratingss locks I chose tv-ma, and unlocked ONLY the 'L- crude indecent language' item. The other two, V and S are locked. It's not perfect but better than nothing. This setting will allow Netflix to start without having to enter the xfinity parental code. But agree, Xfinity needs ti get iut of the way (not require a code) to get to Newtflix, we already have parental controls on the Netflix system.
New Poster

@Don80 ... thanks for this workaround. This issue has been driving me crazy.
New Poster

Xfinity, is there a solution yet for this? 

Expert

drewnpam wrote:

Xfinity, is there a solution yet for this? 

scroll up to message 4 of this thread and read it and the next few posts. issue is resolved. It is working as designed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Awesome workaround! THANK YOU!

New Poster

That fix worked perfect! Maybe the Comcast trouble shooters should read this thread! I was told by Comcast I had to contact Netflix...said it was their issue. Thanks for the easy fix.
New Poster

Worked perfectly! Thanks!
New Poster

Thank you for posting this workaround! 4 kids with no access to Netflix unless I enter the code... This was driving me CRAZY!!
New Poster

I agree!  Xfiniti should fix this.

New Poster

When does Xfiniti plan to fix this?

New Poster

Nice workaround!  Worked well.  I still want a permanent solution from Xfiniti (so I don't have to leave the "language" setting unlocked) but for now this seems to be an acceptable solution.  Thanks for sharing it.