Community Forum

Netflix Super HD and alternatives

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Netflix Super HD and alternatives

So, I have been using the Roku 2 for some time now and have been quite pleased with it except for its inability to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus. Last month I noticed some deterioration in video quality in the movies we watched on Netflix…like 1080p was now looking like 720p. I also noticed a slight reduction in bandwidth usage but that has never been a problem as we only use 50% of the cap. We have Comcast’s Performance Starter which is 6 down and 1 up. Vudu’s Network Speed Test shows that my 6/1 connection is sufficient to stream content in their highest quality (HDX) which, BTW, has been quiet good. I’m hopeful that Comcast will sign on to Open Connect so that we could watch some Netflix shows in Super HD. What are the options in the interim? I did some research on the internet and came up with this site: unblock-us.com. Reportedly their service can access Netflix Super HD even if your ISP does NOT join Netflix Open Connect. Their service requires a simple DNS change and costs $4.99/month but they also have a 7 day free trial. I was wondering if anybody in this forum has given them a try. If not this, what else is being considered?

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Re: Netflix Super HD and alternatives

Have you noticed that the Netflix HD quality is much better during the day?  The HD quality deteriorates in the evening.  Does Comcast do this deliberatively during prime viewing time?