Community Forum

Manual recordings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Valued Contributor

Re: Manual recordings

@RobertWy wrote:

@RadTV wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Re-read the above post, it describes exactly what you’re looking for.
With the guide up, go to 848, use the left arrow to highlight 848 and press record and set your day, start and stop times. It just won’t be recurring.

What series can’t you set up a recording for?

It would nice if the dev team is able to add a placeholder for recordings beyond 2 weeks since remote scheduling has been removed. I can understand where the OP is coming from because there are times when you may forget since programs are announced in advance.

You do understand the X1 system is provided a scheule for two weeks from a third party not controlled by Comcast?

Yes I am aware. When a program is on hiatus there already is a placeholder in the system until the program returns so the same Idea should apply in reverse. If I remember correctly, the option is available on the Legacy (I-Guide) system. The dev team tweaks the system often so I'm sure they could. They don't necessarily need data from the third party because they might be able to add a manual entry option so the user can specify the date and time by  using the keypad when using the manual recording  option.

Regular Visitor

HI - thanks  for all the help from the forum.  I am not really addressing that the schedule doesn't go out further. It never did! That was ok. What I am  trying to get around is the fact that pre-X1 box I could record a date-time-station-duration combination for ANY DATE I WANTED beyond the event horizon from the schedule. These were not programs but specials that didn't go on every week or day.  I didn't need the schedule. If something changed and my plan didn't work, well that was "too bad better luck next time" but I never complained and usually got it right.

Under x-1 , I have to PICK A PROGRAM and record all episodes (doesn't work - this is not a program that I want to record) OR pick a time within 2 weeks. That's it.

I have yet to find someone to tell me how in the comcast box system this can be done.

Pre- lawsuit by TiVO, I could have used the app while on the road to set the recording from my i-thing. But you can't do this now. 

So I am struggling. I am lookng at FIOS and other options but it sure is a pain to cancel things and lose the $ you locked yourself into so hence the plea for help from you smart Forum folks! Thanks a lot. 

Silver Problem Solver

@RadTV wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
With the guide up, go to 848, use the left arrow to highlight 848 and press record and set your day, start and stop times. It just won’t be recurring.

It would nice if the dev team is able to add a placeholder for recordings beyond 2 weeks since remote scheduling has been removed. I can understand where the OP is coming from because there are times when you may forget since programs are announced in advance.

You do understand the X1 system is provided a scheule for two weeks from a third party not controlled by Comcast?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Valued Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Regular Visitor

For me , it does not work because I cannot select a date 4 weeks from now when I am traveling. Yes I don't stay home just to set the X1 DVR. So if on June 13 I want to travel but my program is July 23 channel 8 at 8-10 am, I don't see how to set it. The guide won't let me pick a date beyone June 26. Help. The old pre x1 box allowed this. 

Official Employee

Frequent Visitor

That won't help me. THAT is not working, which is why I want to set a MANUAL recording. What you describe is recording a SHOW in the GUIDE. A MANUAL recording is "I want to record channel 848 from 1:45pm - 3:45pm tomorrow. REGARDLESS of what airs." The reason I want to record it is that Xfinity is the WORST DVR I've ever encountered (and I had one of the VERY first Tivo DVR's...). This piece of junk will NOT record one of the series recordings in my series. I also cannot set it by finding the program in the grid and hitting the record button OR by finding it in the list of upcoming Olympics shows OR by finding it in the guide, clicking on it, and selecting record. You already took away the app recording when outside the home (probably because that tech was stolen, it seems) and now you won't allow me to set a recording FROM MY OWN HOME?!?!?! PATHETIC!!! 

Official Employee

TJH2 wrote:

DVR records based on date time and channel, not the time the program actually airs. Because of sports, specials and other unexpected events, half my shows don't record bc DVR doesn't know when the show actually starts and ends. Extended recording is inadequate if the show runs more than a half hour late which they often do. 

I record multiple shows on Sunday. Same channel. How can I set a manual recording that will automatically repeat every week LIKE MY TIVO DID?

Sorry but you can't set one that records every week. 

With the guide up use the left the left arrow to highlight the channel that you want, press record, an option screen pops up and you can set a length of up to 12 hours to record that single channel but you have to manually do it each time.

Highlighted
New Poster

Manual recordings

DVR records based on date time and channel, not the time the program actually airs. Because of sports, specials and other unexpected events, half my shows don't record bc DVR doesn't know when the show actually starts and ends. Extended recording is inadequate if the show runs more than a half hour late which they often do. 

I record multiple shows on Sunday. Same channel. How can I set a manual recording that will automatically repeat every week LIKE MY TIVO DID?