Community Forum

Low quality cloud DVR recordings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: Low quality cloud DVR recordings

@mlgti wrote:

I was referring to the recording on the DVR itself.  The quality is poor whether I'm watching through the DVR box or through tv.xfinity.com on a browser.  The quality is great when playing DVR recordings that are stored on the actual HD of the box, the issue is when the recordings are saved to the cloud, which seems to happen randomly and there is no option to choose whether I want the recording to stay on the HD or Cloud unfortunately.

when you record, the head-end in the sky (scheduler) tells the cloud DVR server to record and your home DVR to record. nothing is copied from your home to the cloud, if that is what you are saying. The video recorded is the same video. If the problem is cloud DVR recordings are poor quality (not a common subject) then open that in the stream app area of the forum and then the problem  can be discussed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

I was referring to the recording on the DVR itself.  The quality is poor whether I'm watching through the DVR box or through tv.xfinity.com on a browser.  The quality is great when playing DVR recordings that are stored on the actual HD of the box, the issue is when the recordings are saved to the cloud, which seems to happen randomly and there is no option to choose whether I want the recording to stay on the HD or Cloud unfortunately.

Expert

@mlgti wrote:

I've noticed that when viewing Cloud DVR recordings vs. recordings stored on the HD of my X1 box that the quality of the Cloud recordings is very poor (almost looks like SD quality).

1.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is this expected for cloud recordings to be such low resolution?

2.  Is this a problem with the signal strength at my home or affected by the speed of my cable internet connection?

3.  Is there anything that can be done to make the quality better?  It would be nice if there was a way to choose whether the recording is saved on the hard drive vs the cloud.

try playing the same recording on the DVR itself. the file data stream recorded is the same for both for video, the audio on cloud recordings is 2 channel only. 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

Low quality cloud DVR recordings

I've noticed that when viewing Cloud DVR recordings vs. recordings stored on the HD of my X1 box that the quality of the Cloud recordings is very poor (almost looks like SD quality).

1.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Is this expected for cloud recordings to be such low resolution?

2.  Is this a problem with the signal strength at my home or affected by the speed of my cable internet connection?

3.  Is there anything that can be done to make the quality better?  It would be nice if there was a way to choose whether the recording is saved on the hard drive vs the cloud.