Community Forum

Local DVR vs. Cloud recordings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Local DVR vs. Cloud recordings

My home has two devices: xg1-a and xg2-v2

I just realized that my recordings are in the cloud, since we're watching off the xg2-v2, our xg1-a just died, and yet we have all our recordings intact. I've also noticed that playback has slow response to FF/Rev/Pause, which I'm now guessing is because of the cloud playback?

Is it possible to record locally, in order to get better fast forwarding?

Also, what is the value of having an xg1-a with a DVR, when it doesn't record locally? Why not 2 xg2-v2s?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

Official Employee

Re: Local DVR vs. Cloud recordings

foggyethan wrote:

My home has two devices: xg1-a and xg2-v2

I just realized that my recordings are in the cloud, since we're watching off the xg2-v2, our xg1-a just died, and yet we have all our recordings intact. I've also noticed that playback has slow response to FF/Rev/Pause, which I'm now guessing is because of the cloud playback?

Is it possible to record locally, in order to get better fast forwarding?

Also, what is the value of having an xg1-a with a DVR, when it doesn't record locally? Why not 2 xg2-v2s?

Thanks!

-- Ethan

If you want better recording swap out your dvr for one that works properly. When you swap it out the dvr, the recordings will physically on the dvr again. If you swap out for 2 XG2 boxes nothing will get recorded because neither would be a dvr.

Frequent Visitor

The behavior of recording playback didn't change before or after the failure of our DVR device. Every button press took about 2 seconds to respond, both before and after.

Silver Problem Solver

foggyethan wrote:

The behavior of recording playback didn't change before or after the failure of our DVR device. Every button press took about 2 seconds to respond, both before and after.

Did you replace your DVR?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

We're getting the new one this weekend. I'll see if it changes after.