Community Forum

Live TV Will Not Rewind Correctly

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Live TV Will Not Rewind Correctly

Had this problem off and on. I had the DVR bufferend back about 45 minutes.  Watching it back and FF through commericals,  the picture went back for a bit then went to Live TV.

Now trying to rewind back it is not working.  REW goes back,  but when I hit play it again jumps back to Live TV. Using Pg Down,  the time on the progress bar shows it going back 5 min's but the show is really only going back a few seconds

Regular Contributor

Re: Live TV Will Not Rewind Correctly

Had the problem again this morning.  It affects Live TV and DVR recordings.

Recorded three programs this morning all starting at 7am.  Playing one back,  at about 8:13am the picture freezes a second or two,  then goes black anouther two seconds,  then jumps ahead about 30 seconds and continues playing.  The other two recordings do the exact same.  

When FF though then,  the picture will do the same freeze and go to black. But the FF will suddenly start going faster and when I prerss play it jumps back to wear the picture messed up.

It is doing this on the DVR and companion box

The Live TV problem is more with the DVR.

Expert

reggie77 wrote:

Had this problem off and on. I had the DVR bufferend back about 45 minutes.  Watching it back and FF through commericals,  the picture went back for a bit then went to Live TV.

Now trying to rewind back it is not working.  REW goes back,  but when I hit play it again jumps back to Live TV. Using Pg Down,  the time on the progress bar shows it going back 5 min's but the show is really only going back a few seconds

happens sometimes when a glitch is recorded onto the memory card that you are reading while viewing in the buffer.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

reggie77 wrote:

Had the problem again this morning.  It affects Live TV and DVR recordings.

Recorded three programs this morning all starting at 7am.  Playing one back,  at about 8:13am the picture freezes a second or two,  then goes black anouther two seconds,  then jumps ahead about 30 seconds and continues playing.  The other two recordings do the exact same.  

When FF though then,  the picture will do the same freeze and go to black. But the FF will suddenly start going faster and when I prerss play it jumps back to wear the picture messed up.

It is doing this on the DVR and companion box

The Live TV problem is more with the DVR.

when you 'hit the glitch' and it restarted, did you notice if the source (upper left hand corner seen when hitting the OK button) changed from DVR to <cloud symbol> DVR?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

No,  didn't see that. The glitch happens with buffered Live TV and recordings

Expert

reggie77 wrote:

No,  didn't see that. The glitch happens with buffered Live TV and recordings

a cool new feature (since mid june 2016) is recordings that are in the cloud (not on local DVR) can be played on your X1 set top box instead of having to watch the cloud copy of a recording on a mobile device or desk/laptop.

Regular Contributor

That really has nothing to do with my problem,  since it also occurs when I buff Live TV

Regular Contributor

Just happened again.  Started a recording at 8pm. Watching it back, over 2 hours in there was a glitch, picture went black for a second and then jumped ahead 30 seconds,  this was with the companion box

Am checking the DVR now, trying to REW back. When I hit REW and then play, it jumps back to LIVE TV. I tried hitting restart the program but it will only go back to the point where the glitch happened.  REW back at 2x will work, until the glitch happend then the speed of the REW gets fatser and when I hit play, it jumps back to LIVE TV.

The progress bar on the screen after REW back as best it would allow me says 10:10PM,  but the program on started at 10:30PM.  So something is defeintely messed up. Will leave it paused and see if if starts at 11:10 based on what the progress bar says or at 11:30 when the buffer should start playing.

So it begins playing again at 11:10 from where the buffer was paused at 10:30.  I try to REW back,  the picture is moving back but the time on the bar is not changing.  It stops at 10:13.  SO now I believe I am buffered back to then.  Will see what happens at 10:23 when the glitch occured. At 10:23 it froze again,  went black and skipped ahead a few seconds but is playing the correct part of the program.

Expert

reggie77 wrote:

Just happened again.  Started a recording at 8pm. Watching it back, over 2 hours in there was a glitch, picture went black for a second and then jumped ahead 30 seconds,  this was with the companion box

Am checking the DVR now, trying to REW back. When I hit REW and then play, it jumps back to LIVE TV. I tried hitting restart the program but it will only go back to the point where the glitch happened.  REW back at 2x will work, until the glitch happend then the speed of the REW gets fatser and when I hit play, it jumps back to LIVE TV.

The progress bar on the screen after REW back as best it would allow me says 10:10PM,  but the program on started at 10:30PM.  So something is defeintely messed up. Will leave it paused and see if if starts at 11:10 based on what the progress bar says or at 11:30 when the buffer should start playing.

So it begins playing again at 11:10 from where the buffer was paused at 10:30.  I try to REW back,  the picture is moving back but the time on the bar is not changing.  It stops at 10:13.  SO now I believe I am buffered back to then.  Will see what happens at 10:23 when the glitch occured. At 10:23 it froze again,  went black and skipped ahead a few seconds but is playing the correct part of the program.

try the cloud dvr copy of the program. Does it play normally?

Regular Contributor

For recordings,  there is no glitch watching online.

Official Employee

Hi reggie77, are you still having an issue with your recordings being glitchy? If so I can help. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I dont think people are understanding.  The problem is NOT on Recordings.  It is when you pause or try to rewind LIVE TV.   This happens to me all the time and it is extremely irritating.  I try to rewind, becuase I missed something that was said and it DOES NOT rewind.  It appears to rewind on the screen for instance it appears to be rewinding on the timeline of the program however it is only playing what is LIVE on the program.  

New Poster

Camam, I have the SAME Problem! I've even exchanged boxes, thinking it was the box. It started during mid-summer after an update.

It happens daily, but intermittently on one of several boxes. Trying to capture a shot of the PROBLEM to append to this forum.

Contributor

Hi.  I am having the same issue.  I exchanged by X1 box back in August and have experienced this problem on the "new" box several times since then.  I'm guessing the "new" box is refurbished and probably had this problem all along.  Has anyone had any success rectifying this issue?  Thanks.

New Poster

Can a Comcast/xfinity employee please answer this question?
Live TV - unable to rewind. See other comments for details.
Expert

@Amc5 wrote:
Can a Comcast/xfinity employee please answer this question?
Live TV - unable to rewind. See other comments for details.

what is the model number of the set top box? to test change the channel to any different channel than you are watching. waif 5 minutes and then try to rewind. works?

New Poster

Mine will only go back about 30 seconds and on sports, it's even more irritating.

I press rewind. It will only go back a short distance and no more.

I have not changed channels.

This is happening on both my boxes.

BTW, DirecTV will let you go back as far as you were on the channel, even if the TV is off. You can go back several hours. Now I'm trying to get 20 minutes.

Expert

@dontwanttoreg1 wrote:

Mine will only go back about 30 seconds and on sports, it's even more irritating.

I press rewind. It will only go back a short distance and no more.

I have not changed channels.

This is happening on both my boxes.

BTW, DirecTV will let you go back as far as you were on the channel, even if the TV is off. You can go back several hours. Now I'm trying to get 20 minutes.

what is the model number of the set top box?