Community Forum

Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Problem Solver

Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

I have a 4k tv just not the box.

but is it even possible to watch the 4k content? through a non 4k box? will I be able to watch it 

Expert

Re: Is it possible to watch 4k olympic content on a non 4k X1 box?

No way.

Best signal possible is either 1080i for locals in MPEG 2, or 720p in MPEG 4. You are just getting a synthesized signal to fill in the extra pixels. That is why there is really no comparison between a up-scaled 4K versus the real thing when watching a 4K You Tube film over streaming broadband. 

It looks like you have not yet managed to get the 4K DVR yet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

No you won’t, if you try to access it you’ll get an error code.

Use this link if you need assistance getting a 4K DVR
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898/p...
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

No way.

Best signal possible is either 1080i for locals in MPEG 2, or 720p in MPEG 4. You are just getting a synthesized signal to fill in the extra pixels. That is why there is really no comparison between a up-scaled 4K versus the real thing when watching a 4K You Tube film over streaming broadband. 

It looks like you have not yet managed to get the 4K DVR yet.

I might have confused you with the comment about You Tube. If your 4K tv is a "smart tv", and you have the You Tube app in the tv, your Gateway router would pass a 4K signal over the Ethernet connection using high-speed broad-band. If your tv also has the Netflix app you could watch 4K if you paid for their 4K service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.