Community Forum

Intermittent garbled sound with cable

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: Sound garbled

I tried everything - several box changes, replaced HDMI cables, and switched HDMI inputs, all to no avail. I replaced my Toshiba TV and that took care of the problem. IT'S THE TV !!!

Silver Problem Solver

What X1 box do you have and how is it connected to the TV?

(This thread was started two years ago)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Our TV is a Toshiba as well.   Sounds like that is the common denominator.

New Poster

We have the same issue.   It only happens on one of our TV's the other doesn't do it.   Pretty aggravating.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Intermittent garbled sound with cable

I have the same problem with my Toshiba. As they say on NCIS, "No such thing as a coincidence". It's the TV, not the box, not Comcast. As opposed to turning the TV off and on, you can also change the input -go from one HDMI to the other and then go back and it'll clear the sound.
New Poster

I also have a Toshiba and I do exactly what you do to stop it. It only does it with this TV, not the others brands we have. Been living with it, but ready to get a new TV, different brand.

Frequent Visitor

What make up TV do you have? I have a Toshiba and if I turn it off and then turn it back on, the sound will clear.
Gold Problem Solver

Bad fiber optic cable??? They are known to be quite fragile...

Datexter wrote:
New to comcast...... had 3 DVRs since june all 3 have done it. Tech in my house suggested soundbar... turned it off while ut was doing it turned up tv volume still does it. If you pause it and then hit play it will clear it for awhile. Can't believe most users aren't experiencing this. Does it live, on demand, and dvr. One more time... All 3 dvrs I've had has done this. Probably the antiquated equipment.

New Poster

New to comcast...... had 3 DVRs since june all 3 have done it. Tech in my house suggested soundbar... turned it off while ut was doing it turned up tv volume still does it. If you pause it and then hit play it will clear it for awhile. Can't believe most users aren't experiencing this. Does it live, on demand, and dvr. One more time... All 3 dvrs I've had has done this. Probably the antiquated equipment.
Gold Problem Solver

Did you consider the possibility that it may not be fixed until you get a Comcast tech out to your house???

You could have a bad box our signal problems. Are you assuming this can be fixed remotely by the flick of a switch or button? I doubt that.

skitmaker wrote:

Please do something about the sound...This is getting rediculos. Before it was just once in awhile but now it's almost all the time...Very dissatisfied, you've had plenty of time to fix this!!!

New Poster

Please do something about the sound...This is getting rediculos. Before it was just once in awhile but now it's almost all the time...Very dissatisfied, you've had plenty of time to fix this!!!

Gold Problem Solver

I would be very careful with this statement "Broken boxes don't cause audio issues." I do not agree.

A bad box most certainly could cause audio problems. It is rare but it has happened. However swapping box locations is solid advice. As I posted earlier, we really need to know more from Machia before we can give solid advice and direction.

Attmann wrote:
@Machia
Broken boxes don't cause audio issues. Maybe bad signal level would make garbled sounds due to TV tiling but u would notice video probs in that scenario, and if the tech came out I'm sure they ran levels.
It's ur chord used to go from the cable box to the tv OR the specific port ur using on the TV. I say TV and not cable box bc u had that issue with Netflix streaming. Not sure what u used to stream Netflix but if it's a smart tv then ur tv has bad audio card and hopefully is under warranty. First try using a different hdmi port on the tv, a new hdmi chord, or even a diff connection type to ur tv. If that fails aprry to say by ur tv is broken. Test this with a diff TV and the same cable box.

New Poster

@Machia
Broken boxes don't cause audio issues. Maybe bad signal level would make garbled sounds due to TV tiling but u would notice video probs in that scenario, and if the tech came out I'm sure they ran levels.
It's ur chord used to go from the cable box to the tv OR the specific port ur using on the TV. I say TV and not cable box bc u had that issue with Netflix streaming. Not sure what u used to stream Netflix but if it's a smart tv then ur tv has bad audio card and hopefully is under warranty. First try using a different hdmi port on the tv, a new hdmi chord, or even a diff connection type to ur tv. If that fails aprry to say by ur tv is broken. Test this with a diff TV and the same cable box.
Gold Problem Solver

Do you have any other components involved? How is your set up connected?
New Poster

Same problem. I get an echo/reverb on TV after about 2 hours of airplay. The noise lasts around 2 minutes and then clears up.

Previoulsy this was an issue while stremaining Netflix. Now afte a new cable box, it has migrated to TV as well.

Comcast tech checked box and could not find any issues.

Official Employee

Squire330 wrote:

Have same problem. Tech is coming Monday. Resorting to RF, RCA or component is an unacceptable solution - I pay extra for HD which is best viewed with HDMI. Since this is a well-known problem, Comcast needs to dig in find the solution and fix it.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have shared your information above with our X1 product team and our Virginia team for their review and follow-up.

I do see that you have a technician visit currently scheduled for this afternoon. Hopefully that will shed some additional information on the current situation. Thanks for your patience.

Gold Problem Solver

I admit I am guessing here but if the tech doesn't come up with something clear and obvious in the signal levels, insist they replace the box... Something tells me this JUST MIGHT be one of those handful of occasions where the box is bad..

Good luck with your appointment.

Squire330 wrote:

It was not my intention to ask for help from forum members - I was just commenting on the problem already outline in the previous posts. The problem is that the sound (only) becomes garbled, on any channel, intermittently, for a period of time ranging in minutes, then it corrects itself. As mentioned in another post, turning the box off, then right back on also corrects the problem. As I wrote this, it started at 4:19 PM and I changed to four other channels - the sound was garbled on all. It cleared itself at 4:24 PM. It is not a customer equipment problem - it is a minor, but aggravating technical glitch in some part of Comcast's system, be it software, network or the box. I will be glad to update everyone after the tech comes on Monday, 13 July 15.

Frequent Visitor

It was not my intention to ask for help from forum members - I was just commenting on the problem already outline in the previous posts. The problem is that the sound (only) becomes garbled, on any channel, intermittently, for a period of time ranging in minutes, then it corrects itself. As mentioned in another post, turning the box off, then right back on also corrects the problem. As I wrote this, it started at 4:19 PM and I changed to four other channels - the sound was garbled on all. It cleared itself at 4:24 PM. It is not a customer equipment problem - it is a minor, but aggravating technical glitch in some part of Comcast's system, be it software, network or the box. I will be glad to update everyone after the tech comes on Monday, 13 July 15.

Gold Problem Solver

I'm doing neither. However please remember this is primarily a user to user forum. A vast majority of people that post here (especially on weekends) are not Comcast employees.

The only help we can provide you is based in the information you provide. We are not connected to Comcast's internal network. You haven't been specific about what "this" problem actually is.

Many people who post in this forum are are quick to blame Comcast's "software" or their "infrastructure". However that is rarely the case. It almost always comes down to local signal issues, connections or install issues within your house or every once in awhile it's a bad box.

Seriously, please post your issues in detail. The veteran members of this forum (including myself) would be happy to try to help you.

Squire330 wrote:

Please don't chastise or talk down to me. First post on this problem in this forum was 9/13 - almost two years ago. Not every customer knows about this forum. If even a few customers have this problem, Comcast should find out why. This is second tech visit for same problem - he replaced box six months ago and now it's back. Tried to attach short video clip, but it wouldn't take it. 

Frequent Visitor

Please don't chastise or talk down to me. First post on this problem in this forum was 9/13 - almost two years ago. Not every customer knows about this forum. If even a few customers have this problem, Comcast should find out why. This is second tech visit for same problem - he replaced box six months ago and now it's back. Tried to attach short video clip, but it wouldn't take it. 

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmmmm,

Slow down just a little bit. Please be more specific about the problem. Are you seeing errors messages? Does this happen on certain channels? Have you had your signal levels checked? Do you know how to check your own signal levels???

If you are asking for help from this forum, you really did not provide enough information for us to help you.

How do you know it is well known? Comcast has installed over 5 million X1 boxes.... What you see in this forum is a very small slice of the entire picture.

Maybe you should update us AFTER your tech visit???

Squire330 wrote:

Have same problem. Tech is coming Monday. Resorting to RF, RCA or component is an unacceptable solution - I pay extra for HD which is best viewed with HDMI. Since this is a well-known problem, Comcast needs to dig in find the solution and fix it.

Frequent Visitor

New Poster

As of 5:00 EDT, all is well here.  Hopefully, the sound issue with the X1 has also been resolved.  Had to use component hookup rather than HDMI, but little difference in sound/video quality. 

I will say that the local techs have been great, and just got a phone call from Comcast Tech Support to follow up on all fronts.  Much appreciated.  Frustration level has just dropped immensely. 

New Poster

And now this:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Stuck-on-one-channel/m-p/2275163#M106884

I have the same thing going on here.  So now I can't even check to see if the original issue has been resolved!

New Poster

Issue remains.  Tech was out a while ago and replaced the box again.  Apparently, our TV isn't talking to the HDMI input on your box, and the latest box is hooked up via component input.  Now apparently there is an update in process and the system is stuck on channel 2 until that is complete.  Tech left and said to call him at 4:00 our time to let him know what's up.

Still very frustrated here. 

Official Employee

richaud_125 wrote:

Spent half an hour yesterday with agent on Live Chat; he "refreshed" the box from his end and said follow-up would be within 24 hours.  Refreshing didn't cure - audio still becomes garbled with a sort of echo after two hours or so.  Picture is fine; have to turn off the box and turn it back on to clear the audio.  Affects all channels.  We'll see what happens next.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. in reviewing your account, it appears that a technician visit on August 14 resolved the issue with your X1 cable box.

Please let me know if that is not the case. Thanks for your patience. 

New Poster

Spent half an hour yesterday with agent on Live Chat; he "refreshed" the box from his end and said follow-up would be within 24 hours.  Refreshing didn't cure - audio still becomes garbled with a sort of echo after two hours or so.  Picture is fine; have to turn off the box and turn it back on to clear the audio.  Affects all channels.  We'll see what happens next.

Frequent Visitor

I have same problem and also reception is like the signal is coming from a satellite.  The screen gets all messed up.

New Poster

I have the same issue with brand new Xfinity box.  Very frustrating.

Official Employee

billyslick wrote:

This may have been asked before but I could not locate.  Occasionally the sound becomes garbled like "under water". Changing stations on live, and fast back corrects iy.

Apologies for the issue that you described above. I have opened a ticket on your account with our VA team so that we can get this further investigated and resolved. Someone from that team will reach out to you directly for next steps. Thanks for your patience.  

Frequent Visitor

Sound garbled

This may have been asked before but I could not locate.  Occasionally the sound becomes garbled like "under water". Changing stations on live, and fast back corrects iy.

Frequent Visitor

Intermittent garbled sound with cable

The sound sometimes become garbled for about 15 seconds then is normal again. This will repeat. I've really search to see if this was already addressed but could not find. I apologize if I missed it