Community Forum

I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

Re: I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box?

2+Year Old Topic being closed.

Regular Visitor

Re: I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box?

Oh and yes the crackling was an issue with the original tivo roamio. I got a replacement Roamio that didn't have that issue besides now the Bolt+. Just waiting on the VOX remote to arrive to have voice activation with the updated user interface on both. Oh and to match the picture quality of the X1 on the Tivo, I got an upscaler cheap from amazon the Goronya 4K x 2K HDMI to HDMI and Optical TOSLINK SPDIF + L/R Stereo Audio Extractor Converter with ARC Function HDMI Audio Splitter Adapter and it works great. 

Regular Visitor

The update is there is no resolution. Its either you have a shared pool or you cut them off from each other and you get problems like shows not recorded and other weird things. The only resolution is to get a Tivo or other DVR and keep it separate that way. I got a Bolt+ 3tb from the White Out sale over thanksgiving/black friday on sale and hope to keep it separate finally.

New Poster

Dominick_7. Great post. Thanks. Can you provide an update? Have you been able to resolve outstanding issues since last post or is it worse or the same? Thanks.

Regular Visitor

We had HD DVR Legacy boxes for many years that worked fine just like this and only upgraded to the X1s because I was assured we could have separate recordings. I didnt want to have to sift through dozens of mindless sitcoms or have to search through God knows how many videos in the trash that the family happened to delete, which I may or may not even know if there were any recordings in there that they deleted without me knowing. After many frustrating hours with tech support and tech visits, it was concluded that either you have to share the recording pool or put on a moca filter, but with that "solution" you wouldnt be able to record the same shows. So yea you could technically have separate recordings but because they'd still share the same scheduled recordings list and pooling, if you wanted to watch say Sherlock and they did too on their DVR, whoever scheduled it first would get the recording to go to their box and if the other person tried to schedule a recording for it, it'd show as already recording so you couldnt set it up to happen and it wouldnt let you access the recording on their box because the moca filter blocks that from happening. So frustrating.

So I was forced to buy a used Tivo Roamio with non cancelled (suspended) service which currently looks and sounds kinda crappy. Its pixelated, dull, has a blue tinge, is noisy and has a slight crackling sound audio wise. Not sure if its the cable card, the box itself/its HDMI port or not a high enough powered splitter (they need to be 2Ghz as per TiVos recommendations, Comcast uses only 1.2Ghz). The X1s picture quality looks amazing and with the voice control and seamless ability to watch things, its very elegant and a total pleasure to use. The TiVo Roamio is no where near as elegant, has no voice control and is kinda clunky, but you do get more functionality such as one button commercial skip, quickplay where you can watch shows 30% faster with audio correction so they dont sound like chipmunks, streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Xfinity On Demand (not sure if On Demand is supposed to work from within the guide or not.. it currently doesn't but not sure if its a problem with the card or splitter etc). Have had 3-4 techs come out who were ill equipped to resolve this. It's been upsetting, as I have yet to get it fully working after a few months. Thats where its at now. If its a problem with the box TiVo will either let me replace it for $50 and get a Lifetime service (retention) plan option for $199 instead of paying $9.99 per month from an inherited plan, or upgrade to a Bolt 1TB for $275. If only Comcast would just give you the option to share recording pools or not I wouldnt have had to deal with this time consuming and aggravating experience. Oh and to address the proposed possible solutions here, no you cant use a rate code change to make it look like a legacy, as it just sees it as an X1 (I tried it and it doesn't work), and no you cant swap it for a Legacy as it'll create similar other problems that will confuse the system having an X1 and Legacy in the same residence. Thats what Im told by supervisors at least.

Official Employee

Re: I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box

RickGr4 wrote:

Relax a little bit. I already provided you with your answers earlier in this thread. I have three Arris DVRs. I had multiple X1 DVRs long before it was even known to be possible.

I happen to like "Whole Home Scheduling" because it "pools" your DVRs. The last thing I want to do is spend any time thinking about which recording is stored on which DVR. More importantly it increases DVR recording capacity. Also, I live with my highly significant other and I have absolutely no reason to "hide" my recording list from her. She has no interest in hiding her record list from me.

I suggested the idea that there may be a rate code that can be removed but that is highly speculative. It has never been discussed in this forum that I am aware of. I am simply guessing.

As I mentioned earlier, if you need "private" DVRs you need to exchange one of your DVRs for a legacy DVR or a TiVo DVR.

At the moment, all DVR recordings will go to all STBs on the home. The removal of a rate code in this case would unfortunately not help.

Here is an FAQ which should answer the majority of questions about this Smiley Happy

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-whole-home-scheduling-faqs/

What if I don't want whole home scheduling?
The X1 DVR is a whole home product. Independent DVRs are not available with XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System.

Thanks,

-Nick

Expert

Re: I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box

fix is to keep one DVR and add a TiVO which would be separate in recordings. Have to rent a multi-channel cable card too from comcast.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Gold Problem Solver

Relax a little bit. I already provided you with your answers earlier in this thread. I have three Arris DVRs. I had multiple X1 DVRs long before it was even known to be possible.

I happen to like "Whole Home Scheduling" because it "pools" your DVRs. The last thing I want to do is spend any time thinking about which recording is stored on which DVR. More importantly it increases DVR recording capacity. Also, I live with my highly significant other and I have absolutely no reason to "hide" my recording list from her. She has no interest in hiding her record list from me.

I suggested the idea that there may be a rate code that can be removed but that is highly speculative. It has never been discussed in this forum that I am aware of. I am simply guessing.

As I mentioned earlier, if you need "private" DVRs you need to exchange one of your DVRs for a legacy DVR or a TiVo DVR.

ardellm11 wrote:

O.K. SCJohnson312.  So the question is, "Can the Whole Home Scheduling" feature be turned off by either telling Comcast I don't want to pay for it or by disabling some internal switch?  I'm thinking not.

ardellm11

Gold Problem Solver

And how does this apply to a solution for the OP?

Rustyben wrote:

the real funny thing about isolating the two via MoCA filters is that you will have to go room to room to watch any recording as you can't make a particular recording record on A nor B. The scheduler uses them as it desires. So your recordings one week might be on A and next week on B. Hit record on  a live channel on TV A and it might record on tv B.

Regular Visitor

O.K. SCJohnson312.  So the question is, "Can the Whole Home Scheduling" feature be turned off by either telling Comcast I don't want to pay for it or by disabling some internal switch?  I'm thinking not.

ardellm11

Problem Solver

ardellm11 wrote:

Thanks, SCJohnson312.

I had a sinking feeling that the new X-1 boxes along with its accompaning software are not capable of separating the recordings.  I hope you're right that Comcast might get enough complaints and decide to address the problem.

ardellm11

It's unfortunate for people in your situation because it used to be able to do what you wanted until the 'whole home scheduling' feature was added. However, I think for most people, this feature works very well.

Regular Visitor

Thanks, SCJohnson312.

I had a sinking feeling that the new X-1 boxes along with its accompaning software are not capable of separating the recordings.  I hope you're right that Comcast might get enough complaints and decide to address the problem.

ardellm11

Problem Solver

ardellm11 wrote:

Evie,  I do in fact have 2 separate X-1 DVR boxes in my house.  My system is set up so that my wife uses one box and I use the other and with the internal network set up by my  audio-video technicians I am able to view anything on each box from any TV in the house.  What I want to do, now that there is no hard drive in the DVR boxes and all recordings are "in the cloud" is to eliminate the dual listing of all recorded shows on both boxes since it creates a long listing of shows she has taped that makes it harder to find the shows that I have taped and vice versa for her.  I don't so much care that the recordings are made and available on both boxes, but I don't want the listings from both boxes combined.  If that means the recordings will be limited to the box that sechedules it, that' fine if it will also keep the lisitings limited to the box that scheduled it.  You know, like with the older boxes which acutally had hard drives in them.  Any way to accomlish this?

ardellm11

The current-gen XG1 DVRs still have hard drives on them, and record locally as well as in the cloud. The cloud scheduler decides which box actually records the show based on tuner usage and hard drive space, no matter which box you clicked Record from.

What you are looking to do isn't going to be possible with X1, unfortunately. However, X1 has a great search function which might help you out (just start typing using the remote).

Hopefully Comcast is listening and will add a feature to only show recordings set from that device.

Expert

the real funny thing about isolating the two via MoCA filters is that you will have to go room to room to watch any recording as you can't make a particular recording record on A nor B. The scheduler uses them as it desires. So your recordings one week might be on A and next week on B. Hit record on  a live channel on TV A and it might record on tv B.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Visitor

Evie,  I do in fact have 2 separate X-1 DVR boxes in my house.  My system is set up so that my wife uses one box and I use the other and with the internal network set up by my  audio-video technicians I am able to view anything on each box from any TV in the house.  What I want to do, now that there is no hard drive in the DVR boxes and all recordings are "in the cloud" is to eliminate the dual listing of all recorded shows on both boxes since it creates a long listing of shows she has taped that makes it harder to find the shows that I have taped and vice versa for her.  I don't so much care that the recordings are made and available on both boxes, but I don't want the listings from both boxes combined.  If that means the recordings will be limited to the box that sechedules it, that' fine if it will also keep the lisitings limited to the box that scheduled it.  You know, like with the older boxes which acutally had hard drives in them.  Any way to accomlish this?

ardellm11

Gold Problem Solver

Evie,

What you posted here is not entirely correct. MoCA filters can prevent recordings from being viewed across multiple DVRs, HOWEVER you will still see the recording list on all boxes on every box in the house. MoCA filters do not remove recordings from the list.

If I have learned anything about this issue, occasionally people want "complete privacy" when they have mutiple DVRs in their homes. Currently X1 does not offer "complete privacy" with X1.

Queen-Evie wrote:

ardellm11 wrote:

.  With the new X1 system all of her recorded programs appear in my saved programs and mine in hers.  Can this sharing be eliminated?

Yes, it can be eliminated if both boxes are true X1 boxes.

The DVRs can be "separated" by where the moCa filter is placed in the home. The recordings on the two DVRs would not have to be shared with each other.

If you do this, you would not be able to watch one of your programs on any other tv in the house unless you had a smaller satellite box paired to your main X1 box.

Gold Problem Solver

ardellm11 wrote:

.  With the new X1 system all of her recorded programs appear in my saved programs and mine in hers.  Can this sharing be eliminated?

Yes, it can be eliminated if both boxes are true X1 boxes.

The DVRs can be "separated" by where the moCa filter is placed in the home. The recordings on the two DVRs would not have to be shared with each other.

If you do this, you would not be able to watch one of your programs on any other tv in the house unless you had a smaller satellite box paired to your main X1 box.

Regular Visitor

Thanks Rick, I'll look into that but would also like to know how to contact Comcast Chad. 

Gold Problem Solver

That is how they are currently designed to work. At this point the only way to fix it would be to swap one of the X1 DVRs out for a Legacy DVR.

However it just occured to me it could be as simple as removed the Whole Home Scheduling rate code (if there even is one) from your account.

ComcastChad would know. Maybe he will see your post and chime in on this issue.

ardellm11 wrote:

We have an integrated TV system which allows my wife and I to each have our own DVR which allows us to view any program from any television location in our house.  So, I don't want what she has taped to appear in my saved programs and vice versa.  With the new X1 system all of her recorded programs appear in my saved programs and mine in hers.  Can this sharing be eliminated?

Regular Visitor

I have 2 X1 DVR boxes can you eliminate the sharing of taped programs on each box?

We have an integrated TV system which allows my wife and I to each have our own DVR which allows us to view any program from any television location in our house.  So, I don't want what she has taped to appear in my saved programs and vice versa.  With the new X1 system all of her recorded programs appear in my saved programs and mine in hers.  Can this sharing be eliminated?