Community Forum

Hurricane Irene outage

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Hurricane Irene outage

I didn't lose cable during the storm. ne day later my cable is out.I understand that you have to fix other peoples problems but there should be a way without turning off other peoples. I can understand for a few hours, but this has been all day! How long will it be off?  This isn't the first time it has happened while you are trying to do the repairs. Will it return at night?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Hurricane Irene outage

I know what you mean. I live in south central PA and my cable went out about 3 a.m. this morning and its still out! Why am I having problems when I am not even anywhere near the storm? We called and the guy was not very nice or helpful. We just get excuses. I have cable, internet and phone and the only thing we have a problem with is cable? That just seems messed up to me. $170 a month and its not even worth it!! I am thinking of switching back to a normal phone and getting a dish. I hate Comcast it sucks!!

New Poster

The Comcast customer Central page reports there are no known outages in my area (Chester Co PA) yet cable, internet and phone are out since Sunday morning.... The customer service reps are usless,,, Maybe I can get verizon quicker than they can restore service?

Problem Solver

@jmacjmc wrote:

Maybe I can get verizon quicker than they can restore service?

Give them a call and let us know the soonest that Verizon can geit you installed. 

I have read where Verizon is very backed up with new installations due to their recent strike and yes they are also impacted by the storm. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26175464-Goodbye-Comcast-was-nice-knowing-you~start=40

New Poster

I'm also in Chester County and have had no Comcast since Saturday might be nice if they had a clue
New Poster

Same Problems as other people in the forum. We are in Western NJ. Out neighborhood did not lose power but at about 3:15 AM Monday morning we lost cable and internet.  Why after the storm passed.  Customer service is clueless and useless, although generally very nice on the phone.  Oh did I mention my Sprint (Century Link) phone works fine.  Comcast Cable uses the same conduits and poles as JCPL and Sprint and yet always has more problems and never has a clue as to what is going on.  Terrible service !!!  Sent with a Verizon 3G card

Frequent Visitor

Central jersey here, no tv or internet since Sat night. You are right about them being nice but clueless as heck. They told me twice it would be fixed by 7 pm this evening then was told by another rep it was extremely irresponsible that the other 2 ladies told me that info and said he couldn't lie to me. He simply had no idea when TV and Internet will be restored. I called up Verizon tonight and put in an order to turn back on my DSL. I bet they will have my Internet up before Comcast
New Poster

See my post. Identical problem as you have. Went out at 2:15 this morning (18 hours after storm passed)  Never lost power or our Sprint land line phone.  Comcast is useless and clueless.  Still out and Customer service has no clue as to when it will return. 

Tags (1)
New Poster

This is what Comcast has posted on my Comcast Central page:

Comcast Service Health Status

• Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    High-Speed Internet Service
    There are no known reported service interruptions in your area.
    Cable TV Service
    There are no known reported service interruptions in your area.
    Home Phone Service
    There is a known technical issue in your area. Technicians are working toward a resolution.
NO KNOWN INTERUPTIONS?!?! WHAT BS!!! I have been down since Sunday moring.... Electricity is on and was only minimally impacted Sunday morning. Why can't comcast rout it's signal, or re-route it past customers without electricity... It sure would be nice to speak with someone who is informed at Comcast, but those people don't work in customer service... Maybe satelite is the better alternative!

Problem Solver

Comcast website http://www.comcast.com/hurricaneseason/ Comcast is Working to Restore Services After Hurricane Irene We are continuing to work closely with state and local emergency personnel and power companies, and our crews will be working around-the-clock in impacted areas once provided clearance that it's safe to do so.
New Poster

$187 per month. THIS BITES. No phone, cable or internet for the third day. Switched to comcast so I could work from home. Needless to say that's not working out so well. Is there any hope of service returning today in northeast pa?
Frequent Visitor

3rd day without TV and Internet here too. It sucks a lot. I'm hoping 08824 gets service restored
New Poster

I am in Nashville, TN and I was just told I have been out for two days because of Irene.  Really?  You do not have enough redundancy to route me anywhere else in the country?  I work for a company that has servers in NY and NJ and they are still up and running.  I call BS.  Thank goodness it is only internet, not the bundle.

Frequent Visitor

I am in 07924 and have had no service since mid morning on Sunday. Customer service is clueless. I believe they are hiding a serious platform failure that will take an extended period to fix. They dare not tell the truth because they know we would all switch to other providers. They know it is a pain to switch, and are lying to us to keep was from conducting a cost / benefit analysis. Comcast sucks!
New Poster

Same thing happened to me today. How long did it take for your service to restore? Or has it? I've called twice, and received a false computerizes call saying that service had been restored but it hasn't. I'm in Montgomery County, MD
New Poster

No service here in Norfolk, MA  (02056) since mid-day on Sunday......it's now been over 96 hours and counting..

New Poster

Below is a posting from Comcast when they were preparing for Hurricane Irene.  Where are those updates that they are talking about?

After the Storm

• Stay inside your home until your Emergency Center advises otherwise. Always remember to stay away from fallen wires.
  • Keep debris clear of cable pedestal.
  • Be careful to not cut cable lines as you trim trees and clear debris.
  • We will keep you informed of restoration progress via radio and newspaper bulletins first, and will continue updating you via TV and online updates as electricity is restored.

Frequent Visitor

Still no service in 07924.  I contacted customer service and got the same line of lies and B/S. The power companies have been able to provide reasonable estimates, and then have performed on them. What is wrong with Comcast? Do they think we are idiots?

New Poster

Here are the outage guidelines they have on their "hurricane" page:

http://www.comcast.com/hurricaneseason/

New Poster

Still no cable in 06371, power is on but cable has been out since Sunday. No idea when it will be turned on, a lot of homes still without power in this town.But you would think that a big company such as Comcast would have a back up plan if place for such emergencies. I need my tv fix....

New Poster

Same here in Virginia (23832). Lost power from Irene. Cable went out Monday. This is the peril of the Triple Play. No phones, no internet and no TV. I have made repeated calls for updates. According to a floor supervisor I spoke to, no one has given them any idea as to the nature of the failure causing such a wide spread outage or when services will even be restored. I am very curious to as to why none of the local news services are not covering this problem. Every day here in Virginia we are getting updates on tv and radio about Dominion Resources and where they are with restoring power to areas that are still literally in the dark. Why not Comcast? I feel they are doing us a disservice in not reporting and updating their customers about this massive multi-state outage.

New Poster

We got our services back last night around 6:30 p.m. EST.  Good luck, everyone!

New Poster

I agree!!!  I want my cable/internet restored.  Has been since 10:30 Saturday night in ellicott city, md and still nothing.  Yesterday I called and was told they are 67% done and should be restored within 24-48 hours.  CRAZY!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

Comcast has also quoted me these "work completed" percentages. I have pressed them for some clarity and have received nothing? Does anyone have an understanding of what the percentage means?

Contributor

We have been out since the 28th... No tv, no internet, no phone, and no answers.  We have had power restored and DSL is up and running along with Uverse...hmmm

New Poster

I'm in Va 23831. Our power was restored about 2 hours ago but cable and net are still out. I called customer service and can't even get to a person...just a recording stating that crews are dispatched and working on the problem. How can I get an accurate update?
Frequent Visitor

New Poster

Thanks for the info. it should not be this hard. all I was hoping for was an estimated date of repair. It bugs me to no end that I can't even speak with a live person.
New Poster

My service has been out 5 1/2 days, Customer service has ni idea when service will be restored and have no knowledge of where their technicians are working or won't let me know where they are. I haven't seen a technician anywhere all week in my town. Intrestingly enough....2 of my neighbors have Verizon...they were out for a day  and 1/2. I cannot believe the customer service of this company.

New Poster

I have been out for 6 days in CT. No phone, no internet and no cable. Particularly frustruating is the lack of information provided by customer service was a joke. I was told by two separate representatives that Comcast's policy was not to provide estimates for completion of repairs because and I quote: "If we give an estimate and we don't meet it, people will call back and be angrier". Obviously, that answer made me angrier than any missed deadline. We run an at-home business and had to purchase WiFi service from Virgin Mobile just to keep going. These people couldn't care less and I am not referring to the customer service reps, probably paid about $7 an hour or the line people. But on two occassions, I was told "That's what "they" told us to say and I don't know anything else.

I've seen AT&T trucks, Verizon trucks, Cox Cable trucks in other areas. Know how many Comcast trucks I've seen travelling East of the River in CT? ZERO. As soon as this mess is over, I'll be shopping for a new service and alot of East of the River CT residents feel the same way.

New Poster

And just curious as a new user......Does Comcast even bother to ever monitor or read any of these posts? I mean has anyone ever received any feedback. Because believe me, their "Comcast Cares" LOL Excutive Complaint line led me through 10 menu options and then disconnected. Never did speak to a human being. I'm paying a fortune every month for my bundled service and can't get the time of day.

New Poster

No cable since the morning of Irene.  Can't get a response from Comcast except for it is being worked on.  Where I am in Connecticut the only cable provider is Comcast, so I am stuck with this useless cable company.  U-verse is very close to being on my street and I will pay some off to get it first!!!!!!  I have had nothing but problems with Comcast since being a customer for over 15 years.  Their customer service people are clueless!  There better be a credit on my bill for lack of service.  I am almost ready to not pay my bill that is coming due on the 16th because you pay for the month ahead so I would be paying for part of August and into September....why would I pay for a full month when I have been without cable for almost a week????  This is totally unacceptable and when a new provider is available I am so done with this poor excuse of a cable company!!!!!

New Poster

I finally was able to reach a human this morning. Evidently the outage in chesterfield county Virginia is very large and complicated. According to the person I spoke with, the Comcast 'hub' is still without power. So, Dominion power is working with Comcast on the issue. Ultimately, it could be out several more days. Wonder if my bill will be pro-rated to account for the days I did not have service?
Problem Solver

Call 1-800-COMCAST and they will pro-rate your invoice for the days you were without service. 

Frequent Visitor

I had to go out and buy an antenna so I could at least get local channels.  Maybe Comcast should supply everyone with a brand new antenna.  Actually the picture with the antenna is better than the one I get from comcast.

New Poster

Isn't this interesting....my last post made mention that I will try Verizon at this point because Comcast does not believe in customer service. As I look at it today....it has been edited out. Sad...just plain sad.

New Poster

The fact that you were able to talk to a knowledgable human at Comcast is a miracle in itself and I do find the information about the hub in VA very interesting. The bizarre thing is that my internet and phone (and I live in CT) have both come back twice today only to go crashing back down. Just long enough to get your hopes up and then forget about it.

Gold Problem Solver

@funricki wrote:

Isn't this interesting....my last post made mention that I will try Verizon at this point because Comcast does not believe in customer service. As I look at it today....it has been edited out. Sad...just plain sad.

Have you made any other posts besides the 2 in this thread?

Your other post here has not been edited by anyone. If it had been you would see "last edited on (date and time here)". If an admin edited the post you would see the name of the admin who did it.

The post from yesterday only says that

New Poster

I live in Maynard Massachusetts, and the cable is up, but the internet drops out every couple of minutes.  It is incredibley frustrating.  I'm using the internet from my cell service in order to have a reliable connection.

New Poster

My cable and internet came back on this afternoon. Very pleasantly surprised after expecting to be down for several days.
New Poster

Live in chesterfield Va. Got tv when power came back on but on day 8 of no phone or internet. Using my droid for email but don't like it. I have also had the run around when.I call. Fri am operator said 88% back u should have full service in a few hours. No service by that night so I call again. She said I don't know why they told u that no one knows when it will.come back on and no idea when. Verizon or someone else will have our business soon!
Frequent Visitor

Everyone in this forum who has felt helpless with Comcast's response to the outages within the past week should visit www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov to submit a consumer complaint to the FTC. Since Comcast isn't a public utility, they are not subject to the corresponding laws and regulations that keep (or at least try to keep) the power companies in line.

We as consumers can however go to the FTC. The FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection uses their complaint system to detect patterns of wrong-doing amongst consumers, which seems particularly necessary in our situation since we're in numerous states up and down the east coast. We've already demonstrated this pattern over the course of numerous threads over the last 7 days on this forum. We're essentially a bunch of dots that need connecting and if Comcast won't do the connecting for us hopefully the FTC will.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in west end of richmond henrcio,va and ive got spotty channels some hd ones work some are all garbled and others are jus black screen regular channels can forget they give the will be available shortly message i hope they get this fixed soon going nuts not able watch race tonite or anything else i like

Frequent Visitor

Concur with the suggestion to report our recent experiences with Comcast to the FCC. Given that Comcast can not be that stupid, I can only conclude that their behavior is conscious and calculated.

We never lost power in the storm in area code 07924, but lost our Comcast service for 8 full days. While I was thankful that it returned this AM, the fact that  Comcast Customer Service could never give me  plausible  information and lied to me on numerous occasions, action is required.  Out of principle, I must find a replacement for my phone, internet and television; and I will.

New Poster

New Poster

I live in Chesterfield Va.and have not had cable or internet since Aug 27 with storm. Got power back on Sept 2 but Comcast doesn't seem to care that I am a small buriness owner, work out of home and my. Next door neighbor who also has Comcast has tbheir cable and internet. I call each dayh a nd am told nothing. Extremely poor customer service and I am very frustrated. I have beenwith them as a loyal customer for over 28 years and have had outages in the past but this now is btelling me they jjust don't care what customers think.
Valued Contributor

From your description (neighbor has it) it sounds like the outage is local to your house.  I hate to say it but with major service interruptions from storms the single home outages get taken care of last so you are likely to be one of the last ones to get it back.  This is true for electric and telephone service as well.   The limited resources available are always put on the areas that will get the largest number of customers back up first.  This kind of management is not at all unique to comcast.