Community Forum

How to check signal strength? XiD-P box intermittently losing audio/video signal...

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

How to check signal strength? XiD-P box intermittently losing audio/video signal...

I have been having an issue now for over a year or so with my X1 Xid-P Box dropping signal. About every 10-15mins I will get a black screen/no audio for a few seconds then it comes back. I have 3 boxes in my home. The main service line comes into my home and to a 3 way splitter. The splitter has 3    -5.5db out puts on it. I know there is a menu in the settings of the X1 system for signal strength. But when I check it on all 3 boxes, it says "signal strength not available at this time" Is there any other way for me to check the signal strength to each box?

I am trying to figure out if its a signal issue or a component issue. I run this in my dedicated theater room with a new Denon receiver. Comast box is connected to receiver via HDMI. Then HDMI out of the receiver to my 4K projector. I have had this issue with 3 different receivers with the same Comcast box. I have tried multiple different high end HDMI cables and it still happens.  The HDMIs I use I run the same for all of my components with no issue accept for the comcast. I  have tried the rebooting etc. I have shut off HDMI link and turned it on as well with no luck. I think it is a signal handshake issue via HDMI from the Comcast box but unsure why. It is completely random. Some days it works fine for hours. Some days it happens  every 5, 10 or 15 minutes. My main concern is I am having a party next weekend for the game and I do not want this thing dropping out on me.  

Expert

Re: How to check signal strength? XiD-P box intermittently losing audio/video signal...

wrote:

I have been having an issue now for over a year or so with my X1 Xid-P Box dropping signal. About every 10-15mins I will get a black screen/no audio for a few seconds then it comes back. I have 3 boxes in my home. The main service line comes into my home and to a 3 way splitter. The splitter has 3    -5.5db out puts on it. I know there is a menu in the settings of the X1 system for signal strength. But when I check it on all 3 boxes, it says "signal strength not available at this time" Is there any other way for me to check the signal strength to each box?

I am trying to figure out if its a signal issue or a component issue. I run this in my dedicated theater room with a new Denon receiver. Comast box is connected to receiver via HDMI. Then HDMI out of the receiver to my 4K projector. I have had this issue with 3 different receivers with the same Comcast box. I have tried multiple different high end HDMI cables and it still happens.  The HDMIs I use I run the same for all of my components with no issue accept for the comcast. I  have tried the rebooting etc. I have shut off HDMI link and turned it on as well with no luck. I think it is a signal handshake issue via HDMI from the Comcast box but unsure why. It is completely random. Some days it works fine for hours. Some days it happens  every 5, 10 or 15 minutes. My main concern is I am having a party next weekend for the game and I do not want this thing dropping out on me.  

next time you are having those problems call 800-Comcast and select Cable, don't select send signals, ask the agent to run the internal trouble shooting guide (einstein). That way you will know the best checks result that can be done without a tech in your home doing the signal testing. 

the XG1 and XG2 (hubs) have a diagnostic menu. Watching live tv press and hold exit for 3-5 seconds and quickly press down down 2 - a white menu will show up. you can find the sinal levels as seen by the tuners and internal DOCSIS modem (both up and down stream). There is also a MoCA menu available on all set top boxes in that same menu. the 2nd page is a grid of what is connected (can take a while to populate with numbers) and is a speed test between the set top boxes. there is a 0 shown for the actual box. reading each box from left to right's numbers it shows the speed it has measured to each of the other boxes. the count starts with 0 on the left side so if you have 4 set top boxes the data will be on lines 0-1-2-3 .

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to check signal strength? XiD-P box intermittently losing audio/video signal...

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get to the menu on the main hub. From what I read on the forums. All of my signals look ok. I have attached a few pictures. 

I am wondering if it is a handshake issue with the HDMI from the XiD-P Box to my AVR. Are there any newer better boxes availble that maybe I can try?

20180127_171100 (Large).jpg
20180127_171143 (Large).jpg
20180127_171214 (Large).jpg
Frequent Visitor

Also just noticed, on the back of my Gateway, the MOCA light is not lit. Also in my Gateway settings menu it shows MOCA in red with an X next to it. Can this be related to my issue? But why is this issue only happening on 1 box in the house. I have also switch the XID box with another with the same result. So its not the box itself. 

Expert

wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get to the menu on the main hub. From what I read on the forums. All of my signals look ok. I have attached a few pictures. 

I am wondering if it is a handshake issue with the HDMI from the XiD-P Box to my AVR. Are there any newer better boxes availble that maybe I can try?

XiD is the latest satellite box. your MoCA levels are outstandingly good.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

wrote:

Also just noticed, on the back of my Gateway, the MOCA light is not lit. Also in my Gateway settings menu it shows MOCA in red with an X next to it. Can this be related to my issue? But why is this issue only happening on 1 box in the house. I have also switch the XID box with another with the same result. So its not the box itself. 

it should be off. The early MoCA enabled modems (they are also hubs) never got configured to join the X1 network (password or something else issue). If it has MoCA 'on' then the other X1 set top boxes won't 'enable' one of their hubs (network controllers) so the smaller satellite boxes won't be able to communicate with each other. the newer 2 models of modem/gateways are fine with their MoCA enabled and can actually be network controllers. (only once device on a MoCA 'net' can be the actual controller at a time.

Frequent Visitor

Hey RustyBen, I wanted to bring this back up. I am preparing getting ready to watch the Super Bowl tonight. I had swapped the XID box from the bedroom(had no issues in this room) to my theater room to where I am having the issue. Yesterday I was in my theater room. Cable worked flawless for 3 hours, never dropped signal. I turned it on today, it dropped signal within 1 minute of turning it on. It has been constantly dropping signal every 5-10 minutes for a few seconds. I have a 50 ft 18awg RGU6 75 ohm cable going from the splitter to this room. All boxes are off the same splitter. This is the only room I have an issue with. Is it possible it is the cable I am using? Its a CEtech cable from Home depot

I temporarily moved my Main Cable box(XG1-A) to my theater room to test. So far so good but its only been on for 10 minutes. Seeing that you say my signals are very good, what else could be causing this to drop signal? I HIGHLY doubt its my AVR, since it has done it with 3 different AVRs in this room. Many different HDMI cables etc. All of my other sources Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and Nintendo switch all work flawless through the AVR. Only issue is the cable box.....

Expert

wrote:

Hey RustyBen, I wanted to bring this back up. I am preparing getting ready to watch the Super Bowl tonight. I had swapped the XID box from the bedroom(had no issues in this room) to my theater room to where I am having the issue. Yesterday I was in my theater room. Cable worked flawless for 3 hours, never dropped signal. I turned it on today, it dropped signal within 1 minute of turning it on. It has been constantly dropping signal every 5-10 minutes for a few seconds. I have a 50 ft 18awg RGU6 75 ohm cable going from the splitter to this room. All boxes are off the same splitter. This is the only room I have an issue with. Is it possible it is the cable I am using? Its a CEtech cable from Home depot

I temporarily moved my Main Cable box(XG1-A) to my theater room to test. So far so good but its only been on for 10 minutes. Seeing that you say my signals are very good, what else could be causing this to drop signal? I HIGHLY doubt its my AVR, since it has done it with 3 different AVRs in this room. Many different HDMI cables etc. All of my other sources Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and Nintendo switch all work flawless through the AVR. Only issue is the cable box.....

the XiD is borrowing a tuner from the DVR unless you have an XG2 available. have you considered swapping out the xiD for an Xg2 (same price)?

Frequent Visitor

I have not considered switching to an XG2. What would be the benefit or cons to swapping to that box?

The XG1A worked flawless in my theater room for the whole game last night. I am glad we did not lose signal.

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

I have not considered switching to an XG2. What would be the benefit or cons to swapping to that box?

The XG1A worked flawless in my theater room for the whole game last night. I am glad we did not lose signal.

Compare the XG2 to the XiD here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

The XG2 has its own tuner, for instance.