Community Forum

How do I watch SD?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

How do I watch SD?

So, my guest bedroom still has an old square TV (Sony Trinitron) that works great.  How can I change the resolution on that box so that it properly displays on this TV?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How do I watch SD?

Settings (Gear icon) Device Settings 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-video-display

Change resolution to SD.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work.  When I first had infintiy installed the cable guy set it but somehow it reverted back.  I went to settings, device settings, video display, video output resolution, changed to 4:3, 480p SD, changed zoom to NONE, hit exit, and nothing changed.  

Not sure what to do next.

ETA: Oh, and when the cable guy set it.  He set it so that when the guide came up I can choose the SD channels.  Now when I choose the SD channels it automatically sends me to the HD equivalent.  Example:  Pull the guide, punch in channel 30 (SD) for TBS, select.  Rather than take me to TBS Channel 30 it sends me to TBS Channel 219 (HD).

Expert

@boohead990 wrote:

So, my guest bedroom still has an old square TV (Sony Trinitron) that works great.  How can I change the resolution on that box so that it properly displays on this TV?

Like it or not, old analog tv's are "white elephants". They are going to cost $25. or more to dispose them. A new 720p television can be purchased for around $75. It would work great with an X1 cable-box. If you insist on using the old tv, use the cheapest SD cable-box you can get.

Both local stations and cable-companies are no longer required to support conversion of digital to analog signal. What you used to get a year or two ago is disapearing at a faster rate.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

I became a subscriber to Xfinity just this past March (which is when the installer set up this TV with SD channels).   I've been able to watch the SD channels up until a couple of days ago.

So, let's see if this might be an easier solution.  How do I watch the SD channels?  Like I mentioned, right now it automatically takes me to the HD channels.

Expert

@boohead990 wrote:

I became a subscriber to Xfinity just this past March (which is when the installer set up this TV with SD channels).   I've been able to watch the SD channels up until a couple of days ago.

So, let's see if this might be an easier solution.  How do I watch the SD channels?  Like I mentioned, right now it automatically takes me to the HD channels.

All the SD channels are between channel 1 and 299. Just use the cable-channel search there. Your cable-box was designed for HD tv's using many of it's features. I suspect there will be no better help from Comcast employees than you were already given.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Gold Problem Solver

@boohead990 wrote: ... Now when I choose the SD channels it automatically sends me to the HD equivalent. ...

That sounds like Auto Tune / Prefer Best Available Resolution is active. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-auto-tune-to-hd-channels.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

Just tried Auto Tune.  It was on so I switched it off and back on again and no joy.  The culprit may be that I can not select the SD channels as I could a couple of days ago.  When ever I try to select an SD channel from the guide it automatically changes the channel to the HD equivalent.   So, perhaps, if I can figure out how to be able to watch SD channels that could be the fix.

Gold Problem Solver

@boohead990 wrote: ... Just tried Auto Tune.  It was on so I switched it off and back on again ...

Why not switch it off and leave it off?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Just tried turning it off.  Still a no go.

Silver Problem Solver

@boohead990 wrote:

Thanks.

Just tried Auto Tune.  It was on so I switched it off and back on again and no joy.  The culprit may be that I can not select the SD channels as I could a couple of days ago.  When ever I try to select an SD channel from the guide it automatically changes the channel to the HD equivalent.   So, perhaps, if I can figure out how to be able to watch SD channels that could be the fix.

Are the SD channels appearing in the Guide?

Frequent Visitor

Yes.  The SD channels are appearing in the guide.   When I bring up the SD channel in the guide and select it to view it take me to the HD version of the channel.  Example: Bring up guide, enter channel 30 for TBS(SD), select channel 30, takes me to channel 219 TBS(HD).

Expert

is your SD TV connected to the coax cable? do you have HD service on other X1 set top boxes?

Frequent Visitor

It's not connected via a coax cable.  It's connected via...forgive my lack fo tech expertise...the red, white, and, yellow cables.  I have 5 TV connected in my home.  Three are HD and two are SD.  The other SD is working just fine.  

As I said, it was working fine until Thursday.  Called Xfinity and they walked me through everything the has been described here.  They recommend I switch out the box at a local service center.

Expert

@boohead990 wrote:

It's not connected via a coax cable.  It's connected via...forgive my lack fo tech expertise...the red, white, and, yellow cables.  I have 5 TV connected in my home.  Three are HD and two are SD.  The other SD is working just fine.  

As I said, it was working fine until Thursday.  Called Xfinity and they walked me through everything the has been described here.  They recommend I switch out the box at a local service center.

use coax or the rf you have in use. the settings for 'output' are for HDMI output or component output. the tv will show you 4:3 content in 4:3 and 16:9 or 14:9 in a letterbx on the TV screen.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I got a new box from Xfinity.  Swapped it an it worked great.  I wasn't able to watch the SD channels as whenever I selected them it automatically sent me to the HD version.  But at least when I changed the Video display to SD it would fit the screen.  That is unitl I tried to watch one of the movies I purchased.  Then it went right back to where I can't fit the whole picture on the screen.  Either for the movie or now any of the channels.  I have a feeling that this would all be solved if I could just select the SD channels on the guide.  But, alas, whenever I select them it automatically sends me the to the HD version.  

Any ideas?

Expert

@boohead990 wrote:

Well, I got a new box from Xfinity.  Swapped it an it worked great.  I wasn't able to watch the SD channels as whenever I selected them it automatically sent me to the HD version.  But at least when I changed the Video display to SD it would fit the screen.  That is unitl I tried to watch one of the movies I purchased.  Then it went right back to where I can't fit the whole picture on the screen.  Either for the movie or now any of the channels.  I have a feeling that this would all be solved if I could just select the SD channels on the guide.  But, alas, whenever I select them it automatically sends me the to the HD version.  

Any ideas?

hi, using your X1 remote, press the Xfinity button >> gear (settings) >> Preferences >> General >> Prefer best available resolution: and change to off. now you can watch what you wish and the channel won't automatically change. set your TV zoom off since it is SD only.