Community Forum

How do I get cc3 (closed caption) on X1 Platform?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

How do I get cc3 (closed caption) on X1 Platform?

I just got off a call that lasted nearly 2 hours.  The lady was very nice but unable to help.  I explained that in the past I would turn off the cable box and TV and then turn just the TV back on. When the blue screen would come up, I was able to change the setting to cc3.  Now, when I do this I have no signal.  Can anyone help me with this problem?  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: How do I get cc3 (closed caption) on X1 Platform?

We had an X1 box and 2 "slave" boxes installed two weeks ago. With the prior scientific america boxes i could record a program and later watch that program  with closed captions.  I had come to depend on the closed captions to fill in what my hearing missed.  With the new X1 box closed captions are now problem. If  i watch a show in real time there is no problem BUT if i try to record that program and watch it later getting the closed captions usually does not work.  The same hold true if I try to watch a program using ON DEMAND  --- usually I do not get captions.  As I said before I never had this problem with the Scientific America boxes.  I have call Comcast service several times.  Rebooted the box (which i have now done numerous times) does not help.  I find this expecially frustrating since I was able to do it prior to the X1.  Is anyone having a similar problem or better yet a working solution.

thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Topic creator, the X1 boxes do not have the same menu as the traditional boxes. To change the closed captioning settings, press menu, choose the gear icon, then device settings, and all the options are right there. Not sure why that took 2 hours to say. Not sure why the agents don't know how to navigate a simple menu. Other guy, I can watch DVR and VOD content just fine with closed captions on the X1 box.
Bronze Problem Solver

34f wrote:

We had an X1 box and 2 "slave" boxes installed two weeks ago. With the prior scientific america boxes i could record a program and later watch that program  with closed captions.  I had come to depend on the closed captions to fill in what my hearing missed.  With the new X1 box closed captions are now problem. If  i watch a show in real time there is no problem BUT if i try to record that program and watch it later getting the closed captions usually does not work.  The same hold true if I try to watch a program using ON DEMAND  --- usually I do not get captions.  As I said before I never had this problem with the Scientific America boxes.  I have call Comcast service several times.  Rebooted the box (which i have now done numerous times) does not help.  I find this expecially frustrating since I was able to do it prior to the X1.  Is anyone having a similar problem or better yet a working solution.

thanks

No problems for me watching CC on live, recorded or OnDemand programming.  Access to CC is the same for all - down arrow button.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem with inconsistent closed captioning on recorded shows on the slave box...sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Not a problem if I go and watch on the main unit. Frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

thank you for your reply....I know how to activate closed captions  the problem is that apparently the comcast system does not.  I turn on closed captions and will get captions when watching a show in real time.  BUT and this is the problem....even with the cc option on i do'nt get caption when watching a show IN DEMAND and most times will not get no captions when trying to watch a program I had recorded earlier.  Even when I have the CC option on and record a show...it plays back with no captions.

New Poster

I spent a lot of time speaking with many different people. The final result was they said that they did not and have no plans on programming the new x1 system to accommodate cc3. I think it's terrible and poor customer service
Valued Contributor

It appears to me that you can get CC3 as follows:

1. Press the xfinity button
2. Press the left arrow to get to the gear icon
3. Press the OK button
4. Move to "Device Settings" and and press OK
5. Move to "Closed Captions" if not already there and press OK
6. Press OK to turn on CC if not already on
7. Move to "Digital Service: Primary Language"and press OK
8. Move to "Service 3" and press OK
9. Move to the "OK" button on the "Digital Service" menu and press OK
10. Press the Exit key

You should be all set!
New Poster

While these are the steps to set the broadcast to CC3, I have found as one of the posters above has said, Xfinity does not support it.  Changing the setting to CC3 shows the same CC as CC1, even when they should be different.  This is my experience.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

Ive tried. It works for telemundo but not on univision. Any way to fix it?
New Poster

I had Comcast 5 years ago and could watch some shows on Telemundo with English sutitles by enabling CC3. Now my daughter & I moved and have the new Xfinity. After many searches I figured out how to get the Engish subtitles on Telemundo on Xfinity. Here are the steps--

1.  Press the Xfinity button

2. Click on the Settings Icon

3.Click on Device Settings

4. Click on Closed Captioning to "ON"

5.Click on Closed Captioning Options

6.Click on Digital Service

7. Click on Secondary Language

I hope this helps. I read a number of people seem to be having this problem.

Dolores Desroche

Silver Problem Solver

11-month old thread closed.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.