Community Forum

How do I control an AV receiver in a different room using the X1 voice remote

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How do I control an AV receiver in a different room using the X1 voice remote

It is extremely unlikely Comcast would ever offer any sort of hub as they have a real aversion to supporting 3rd party equipment.

I have a great deal of experience programming Harmony remotes and I can make them sing and dance.

I am certainly biased but in my two decades of using programmable universal remotes I have not encountered a remote with a better button layout than the Harmony 900. I can control an entire AV system (TV, AV receiver, cable box, SACD player, Blu-ray player and Roku) from one remote using one thumb that I never need to look the remote. All of it is non line of sight.

I bring this up because when it comes to consumer electronics there is always an easier way to things...
New Poster

Re: How do I control an AV receiver in a different room using the X1 voice remote

Thanks, I already have a Harmony remote that I used for the previous cable box. It just seemed like with the RF capability in the X1 remote, I should be able to use it, and not have to deal with the horrible programming interface for the Logitech (not to mention that those keep dying on me, I'm on my third in about as many years). Comcast seems to be missing the opportunity to be the central hub for your home theater system, but they act like they're trying to move in that direction, so I thought maybe they were there and I was just missing something. I'll check out your suggested repeaters, but maybe I'll have to just stick with the Harmony, reprogramming to add any missing functions. 

Gold Problem Solver

The remote can only control an X1 box via RF in a remote location. If you are determined to use the Comcast remote you will need a 3rd party IR repeating kit. Plenty of them out there. Xantech, Niles, Calrad just to name a few. Xantech is probably the best known name.

Even if you get it to work, the Comcast remotes can control only volume, mute and power on most AV receivers (but not all AV receivers). That is pretty limited for a receiver that is hidden away. It should also be pointed out that none of the X1 remotes can control any other source device such as a Blu-ray, Roku or Apple TV.

In my opinion the correct way to do this is abandon the X1 remote except on the odd occasion you want to do a voice search. I suggest a complete 3rd party remote system. Harmony is the first that comes to mind but there are many others. Many of the higher end (better) solutions can only be programmed by a dealer. You will need to decide if you want to be tied down to something that only a dealer can program. But those solutions tend to be the best, most reliable and most foolproof.

I should mention at this point that to me, at this point voice control is trivial and unimportant. I won't care about it until it can control an entire AV system, not just the X1 box. Savant offers a high end remote that can voice control an entire AV system.

My remote of choice is the Harmony 900. It is long discontinued but usually available refurbished on eBay for about $150. Properly programmed it can easily control an entire AV system that is located in another room. You can program it yourself but the first time you program a Harmony will take some time.

DuglsYoung wrote:

The X1 remote's very nice, but I have a fairly common setup - Cable box to an AV reciever to the TV Monitor via HDMI. The cable box and receiver are in another room. I've paired the remote with the TV monitor (works fine, since it's line of sight) and the AV Receiver. The AV reciever works - I can control the volume, turn it on/off, AS LONG as I am in the room where the receiver is - and have line of sight. The cable box control works fine. But I can't control the volume while watching TV because the receive/Box are in a different room. It seems to me, if I was designing the cable box with RF capability, that I'd have provided some way for the cable box to act as an RF extender and send the IR signals to other devices in the cabinet, or have the remote be able to pair with some RF device that can control other devices. I can't see that either is supported, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something. I've called into support twice and they seem baffled that I have an AV receiver in the chain. They sent me to the comcast store for something called an "Audio Booster", which the store had never heard of, and in fact sounds totally wrong. The store gave me a promising looking gizmo (The Aim Anywhere Adaptor)  that seems to accept RF and plug into an IR input, but it seems to be designed to support older cable boxes, maybe? When I plug it into the IR in of my Denon receiever, it doesn't seem to work. This seems like the right idea, tho. So questions are:

1) Should this work?

2) How can I make the X1 remote control the AV reciever thru walls?

3) If there is a 3rd part y solution for this, what is recommended?

Official Employee

DuglsYoung wrote:

The X1 remote's very nice, but I have a fairly common setup - Cable box to an AV reciever to the TV Monitor via HDMI. The cable box and receiver are in another room. I've paired the remote with the TV monitor (works fine, since it's line of sight) and the AV Receiver. The AV reciever works - I can control the volume, turn it on/off, AS LONG as I am in the room where the receiver is - and have line of sight. The cable box control works fine. But I can't control the volume while watching TV because the receive/Box are in a different room. It seems to me, if I was designing the cable box with RF capability, that I'd have provided some way for the cable box to act as an RF extender and send the IR signals to other devices in the cabinet, or have the remote be able to pair with some RF device that can control other devices. I can't see that either is supported, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something. I've called into support twice and they seem baffled that I have an AV receiver in the chain. They sent me to the comcast store for something called an "Audio Booster", which the store had never heard of, and in fact sounds totally wrong. The store gave me a promising looking gizmo (The Aim Anywhere Adaptor)  that seems to accept RF and plug into an IR input, but it seems to be designed to support older cable boxes, maybe? When I plug it into the IR in of my Denon receiever, it doesn't seem to work. This seems like the right idea, tho. So questions are:

1) Should this work?

1. No, that Device is for boxes that are line of sight but gives the capability of not being line of sight. From a short distance, like behind the tv, not in another room.

2. Depending on the distance and how many walls it has to go through, the voice commands and remote options may work. Is the remote paired to the cable box? How did you work your receiver before getting the X1 equipment?

3. Google infrared remotes and you'll see plenty of options

New Poster

How do I control an AV receiver in a different room using the X1 voice remote

1) Should this work?