Community Forum

Hi-def resolution pass-through with the XG2v2-S

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Hi-def resolution pass-through with the XG2v2-S

Degraded thread closed.
Expert

..noting.. usa has never had 480i the analog NTSC was 525 interlaced 2 fields each 262 1/2 lines.

I'm a retired TV/electronics tech with FCC General Class License. you?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

@Li-ion wrote:

Rustyben:  It also becomes evident that you don't read the posts you respond to.  In this thread I PREVIOUSLY explained that sports related networks (as an example) chose 1280x720P/30 vs. 1920x1080i/60 b/c of their more typical action/motion content and so gave away the greater detail afforded by the latter.  As far as dealing with interlaced TV broadcast, VHS and Beta tape and DVD output those artifacts were fixed by the likes of Faruoudja and Silicon Imiage i - p processing back in the 90's in order to up-convert 480i/60 to 480p/30 with minimal artifacts.  Don't you remember 480p DVD players and STBs?

Those same interlaced artifacts are virtually impossible to detect at the line count of 1,080 lines per frame vs. the old days of 480 lines max per frame displayed on a CRT.  Furthermore, converting 1920x1080i/60 interlaced to progressive 1080p/30 for todays 1920x1080 fixed-pixel displays is a piece of cake vs. scaling-up 1280x720p to 1920x1080p becasue of all the interoplation that has to done, on-the-fly, to fill the much larger pixel matrix.  There are world-class chips that do that all day long and I want the one in my AVR to do that serious math - not some jive chip in a TV STB. 

Once again, please stop re-posting what's already been written, repeating yourself, and embarrassing yourself.  You are wasting bandwidth here.      

for those following this thread see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg for a great demonstration. for X1 set top boxes no native output is available. you can set the output resolution of the X1 set top box progressive output you wish and let your TV handle the display. setting to output any interlaced output will not give you the best image available.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert

@Li-ion wrote:

Rustyben:  Why do you refer me to a Wiki link for networks that transmit 1280x720p?  Have I not written this more that once in this very thread?  Go back in your cave.  In fact, if you see me in the thread just don't reply.  You add nothing to the conversation.

ComcastAndrew:  Thank you for confirming an ignorant decision re my brand new X1 box.  Sadly comforting to know that NOTHING can be done.  Also:  Please confrim or not what your buddy Rustyben has to say about all stations other than "local" arriving at my box having been pre-converted to 720p regardless of their native terrestrial resolution.  True?

the interlaced 1080i is never going to show motion as clearly as progressive (whole images, not partial images 'laced' together) streams. Since CRTs are well past end of life, the maximum ATSC for broadcast is limited to 720p (that is no one broadcasts in USA 1080P). I just checked with both ABC and CBS local broadcasters. Local ABC engineer said they receive signal primary via fiber in HVEC at 720p (frame rate varies on program but at least 30 and prime 60). They resend using mpeg2 over the air 720p. CBS main engineer was't available at the time I just called but assistant said stream received from network is HVEC and the station transmits in 1080i. 

if you google 1080i vs 720p you will find many articles and videos that explain that 1080i is 'less' than 720p (especially 720p60) in displaying motion and detail. the usual chargs show 1080p followed by 720p followed by 1080i followed by 480p for quality comparisons. the real issue is that the deinterlacing causes all kinds of quality issues that 720p eliminates.

Official Employee

The first one suggested is a Legacy box ( nonX1) and has native setting. None of the X1 boxes have it
Regular Visitor

I just chatted with Comcast rep. I wasn't asking about this specific cable box, but told them I need to get a box that can pass through the native signal without any upscaling at all so that my own equipment can handle the upscaling.

At first he said I need to get a Motorola DCX3400M HD DVR. Pretty sure that one can only output one specific format, which you have to choose from its format options as explained in its manual. The manual is here: https://www.telserco.com/wp-content/uploads/dcx3400-users-guide.pdf

Then he said I need to get Arris AX013ANC AX013ANM HD DVR. That is exactly what he sent in the chat window, not a typo on my part. I suspect the ANC and ANM are two different boxes. Anyone know if the box(es) he recommended can do native pass through?

Expert

@Li-ion wrote:

Read again.  If I wrote 1080p it referred to my display's native resolution.

At this point, I don't believe a word you say.  ABC, ESPN and FOX are three networks who chose 1280x720p transmission formats b/c they carried a lot of action sports.  Most all other networks chose the 1920x1080i format for detail.

There is no logical reason why Comcast wants to interpose their video scaler vs. allowing the native resolution, chosen by large networks from an FCC menu of two, to simply pass onto the consumer.  Why?

ABC comes in 1280x720p.  Comcast converts that to 1920x1080i.  My world-class video processor then must convert a manufactured 1080i into 1080p for my Pany plasma.  Stupid.  Unnecessary.  And did I say Stupid?

And you say that anything "non-local" comes to my house as 720p?  What?  Why?  Same exact bandwidth required to transmit native.  Let me hear your stupid answer to that.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States - scroll down to the chart. ABC is 720p as is ESPN and FOX

Frequent Visitor

Read again.  If I wrote 1080p it referred to my display's native resolution.

At this point, I don't believe a word you say.  ABC, ESPN and FOX are three networks who chose 1280x720p transmission formats b/c they carried a lot of action sports.  Most all other networks chose the 1920x1080i format for detail.

There is no logical reason why Comcast wants to interpose their video scaler vs. allowing the native resolution, chosen by large networks from an FCC menu of two, to simply pass onto the consumer.  Why?

ABC comes in 1280x720p.  Comcast converts that to 1920x1080i.  My world-class video processor then must convert a manufactured 1080i into 1080p for my Pany plasma.  Stupid.  Unnecessary.  And did I say Stupid?

And you say that anything "non-local" comes to my house as 720p?  What?  Why?  Same exact bandwidth required to transmit native.  Let me hear your stupid answer to that.    

Expert

@Li-ion wrote:

There used to be a cable box TV resolution setting where you told the box to NOT convert or scale any format coming in on the cable but to simply pass it through b/c my video scaler is better than what's in the box.  In other words I want the "Native" resolution passed through over HDMI to my AVR.  If it's ABC or FOX or ESPN then pass their native 1280x720p to me and my AVR's video engine will do the math to convert it to my TV's native 1920x1080p format.  If it's CBS, NBC, PBS then please pass their native 1920x1080i format on to my equipment.  Key words are "Native", "Pass-through", "Do nothing with the video", etc.  Where is that setting in Samsung's XG2v2-S Video Settings menu?  Is there a multi-button chicken dance required in order to get to that function? 

x1 sadly does not include a pass-thru or native output. you probably meant to type above 1080i not 1080p. all local channels are carried on Comcast in their native resolution as they were broadcast (720p or 1080i for HD channels). all cable provided non-local channels are 720p60 (HD).

Frequent Visitor

Hi-def resolution pass-through with the XG2v2-S

There used to be a cable box TV resolution setting where you told the box to NOT convert or scale any format coming in on the cable but to simply pass it through b/c my video scaler is better than what's in the box.  In other words I want the "Native" resolution passed through over HDMI to my AVR.  If it's ABC or FOX or ESPN then pass their native 1280x720p to me and my AVR's video engine will do the math to convert it to my TV's native 1920x1080p format.  If it's CBS, NBC, PBS then please pass their native 1920x1080i format on to my equipment.  Key words are "Native", "Pass-through", "Do nothing with the video", etc.  Where is that setting in Samsung's XG2v2-S Video Settings menu?  Is there a multi-button chicken dance required in order to get to that function?