Community Forum

Headphones interfere with remote control

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Headphones interfere with remote control

I recently switched to Xfinity TV when I moved. I love the remote, especially the voice feature. However, I always listen to tv through headphones. I have Sennheiser RS180 phones, which are RF. They are hooked up to the tv(not the cable box). But they interfere with the remote functions, specifically the Xfinity button, which controls the dvr, rendering the remote useless. I spoke to Sennheiser and they told me the interference is due to the remote also being an RF device.

Sennheiser suggested I switch to an IR set of headphones, which I did. That solved the interference problem, but the new phones are not nearly as comfortbae and the sound quality just isn't the same

Does anyone have a solution where I can keep the RS180's and also use my remote without interference?

Official Employee

Re: Headphones interfere with remote control

Can you use voice commands without interference without pushing the Xfinity button? If the two devices are relatively close together separate them? Unfortunately there isn’t much that can be done, you’ve gotten the answer from the manufacturer

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@pingman52 wrote:

I recently switched to Xfinity TV when I moved. I love the remote, especially the voice feature. However, I always listen to tv through headphones. I have Sennheiser RS180 phones, which are RF. They are hooked up to the tv(not the cable box). But they interfere with the remote functions, specifically the Xfinity button, which controls the dvr, rendering the remote useless. I spoke to Sennheiser and they told me the interference is due to the remote also being an RF device.

Sennheiser suggested I switch to an IR set of headphones, which I did. That solved the interference problem, but the new phones are not nearly as comfortbae and the sound quality just isn't the same

Does anyone have a solution where I can keep the RS180's and also use my remote without interference?

hi, the remote broadcasts all commands on the same frequency bands (if in use the zigbee changes to an unused channel). missed commands are resent until acknowledged or timeout. If you have just headphones (not a microphone like gaming) then the transmitter is perhaps operating out of its own allowed bands or the transmit power level is 'swamping' the signal as seen at your device. to test move the headphone transmitter as far as possible from teh x1 set top box and try again. Zigbee has frequency bands outside of allowed in USA wireless wifi. write back after doing some experimenting.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks Rustyben. Unfortunately, I am unable to move the 2 components more than about 16-20" apart. They are hidden inside a cabinet and are on 2 separate shelves, moves as far to opposite sides as possible. But the shelves are only 16" wide, and there are only 2 shelves, so separating them more than 16-20" is not possible.

I tried numerous bluetooth headphones, but same problem with those. I'm hoping there is a solution, because I really dislike the current(infrared) option. I'm having a hard time believing this can't be fixed, with as much technology as is available now. 

Can you suggest anything?

New Poster

Comcast Andrew- I have them as far apart as possible given my setup, about 18-20" apart on 2 seprate shelves. Are you saying your remote is not compatible with RF headphones? There has to be other people with this problem, I hope it's worth it to Comcast/Xfinity to solve this.

Official Employee

Without being on site I couldn’t get tell you why it’s happening, that’s why you’ll have better luck or more answers with a tech onsite. I’m not saying the remote isn’t compatible, and if it’s common the people with the problem haven’t made it known. Does anything change if you clear out the RF pairing?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Without being on site I couldn’t get tell you why it’s happening, that’s why you’ll have better luck or more answers with a tech onsite. I’m not saying the remote isn’t compatible, and if it’s common the people with the problem haven’t made it known. Does anything change if you clear out the RF pairing?

Comcast Andrew-
Not sure what you mean by "clear out" the RF pairing?

Silver Problem Solver

@pingman52 wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Comcast Andrew-
Not sure what you mean by "clear out" the RF pairing?

Nevermind

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Actually it’s press and hold setup, LED goes from red to green and press 987. Hope this solution works for you

New Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Comcast Andrew, but it didn't work. It's too bad that Comcast makes a remote with such great features, yet it is rendered inoperable simply by using another component. Guess the only solution for my problem is another provider. I never had this issue with Direct TV....