Community Forum

Harmony Elite + X1 Volume Control

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Harmony Elite + X1 Volume Control

howdy.

i recently bought and programmed a harmony elite with a number of "activities" such as tv+appletv+sonossoundbar, tv+roku+sonossoundbar, tv+sonybluray+sonossoundbar. all of these activities work without much hitch via the universal remote, including the volume control.

then i added an x1 box to the mix with a voice control remote which is horrible to operate. so much lag! so of course i tried to set up an x1 activity with the harmony elite, in other words tv+xfinitydvr+sonossoundbar. everything works great except voice control (expected), dvr on/off (not expected), and volume control (definitely unexpected).

i really need is for the volume control to work if it's at all possible. can't get it to work with the soundbar or just even the tv. i have tried a number of avenues, the most promising being the revelation that the "setup" button on the lower left hand corner of the xfinity remote did not propagate to the harmony dvr "device" so i cannot plug in the code to enable the dvr to recognize the harmony remote. i tried to get the harmony remote to learn that button but so far no go.

anyone else run across this problem? did you find a solution?

Expert

Re: Harmony Elite + X1 Volume Control

nrrdy wrote:

howdy.

i recently bought and programmed a harmony elite with a number of "activities" such as tv+appletv+sonossoundbar, tv+roku+sonossoundbar, tv+sonybluray+sonossoundbar. all of these activities work without much hitch via the universal remote, including the volume control.

then i added an x1 box to the mix with a voice control remote which is horrible to operate. so much lag! so of course i tried to set up an x1 activity with the harmony elite, in other words tv+xfinitydvr+sonossoundbar. everything works great except voice control (expected), dvr on/off (not expected), and volume control (definitely unexpected).

i really need is for the volume control to work if it's at all possible. can't get it to work with the soundbar or just even the tv. i have tried a number of avenues, the most promising being the revelation that the "setup" button on the lower left hand corner of the Xfinity remote did not propagate to the harmony DVR "device" so i cannot plug in the code to enable the DVR to recognize the harmony remote. i tried to get the harmony remote to learn that button but so far no go.

anyone else run across this problem? did you find a solution?

the Comcast remote by default uses IR to control the set top box, and always controls the TV and sound bar by IR. The remote when put in RF mode uses the low-power aim anywhere zigbee alliance protocol. The X1 set top boxes do not 'turn off' although you can turn off the power LED. If the Comcast remote successfully controls the sound bar you should be able to let your remote learn the code.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

thanks for your input. i have succesfully used the code to switch x1 remote back and forth from ir to rf. it did not seem to make any difference to the harmony elite hub which it was in when i tried to teach it the "setup" button.

in other words, i can't even get to the part where i try to input the pairing code from dvr to the harmony elite because there is no "setup" button to push first. 

i have no problem controlling the sonos soundbar as a separate device on the harmony elite while the dvr is playing, but having to switch back and forth from devices on the harmony remote to mute vs pause and so forth is even more taxing than using two remotes...

anybody have direct experience controlling volume from a harmony elite while using an activity to engage a tv, x1 dvr, and a soundbar (or even just the tv and x1 dvr)? 

New Poster

Hi nrrdy - I am also in the process of setting up a new Harmony Elite with my Xfinity X1 DVR (and a Samsung Soundbar).  I finally figured out the volume controls.  You have to change the X1 remote to IR mode.  Once in IR mode, I used the Harmony desktop app and followed the on screen procedures to teach the Harmony remote the Volume Up and Volume Down controls directly from the Xfinity remote.  I then used the desktop app to assign the Volume Up/Volume Down buttons to the physical volume buttons on the Harmony remote.  I also assigned the channel and mute buttons as well.  I am able to use all the other physical buttons  (Guide, Menu, Info, Mute, etc) on the Harmony remote when watching tv through the DVR.  Obviously the voice search is not available but I repaired the Xfinity remote in RF mode so we can still use that feature if we choose (my son loves it).

Expert

DC1026 wrote:

Hi nrrdy - I am also in the process of setting up a new Harmony Elite with my Xfinity X1 DVR (and a Samsung Soundbar).  I finally figured out the volume controls.  You have to change the X1 remote to IR mode.  Once in IR mode, I used the Harmony desktop app and followed the on screen procedures to teach the Harmony remote the Volume Up and Volume Down controls directly from the Xfinity remote.  I then used the desktop app to assign the Volume Up/Volume Down buttons to the physical volume buttons on the Harmony remote.  I also assigned the channel and mute buttons as well.  I am able to use all the other physical buttons  (Guide, Menu, Info, Mute, etc) on the Harmony remote when watching tv through the DVR.  Obviously the voice search is not available but I repaired the Xfinity remote in RF mode so we can still use that feature if we choose (my son loves it).

no need to remove the RF link of the Xfinity remote. the IR receiver is not turned off. The setting only affects that voice remote's link.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!