Community Forum

HELP NEEDED!! Comcast Cable Box turning my Samsung TV on and off

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

HELP NEEDED!! Comcast Cable Box turning my Samsung TV on and off

My Samsung LN52A650A1F TV is turning on and off by itself and every once and awhile is making a very loud noise.  I read about the capacitor issues with Samsung and had them repaired at no charge (nothing was visually wrong with them though).  After fixing the capacitors, the problem (TV turning on and off) remains.  I thought the issue was with my Samsung TV but the problem is only happening when the cable box is on.  If the cable box is off and the TV is on, then the issue does not happen.  I have the RNG200N Cable Box. 

PLEASE HELP!!  Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HELP NEEDED!! Comcast Cable Box turning my Samsung TV on and off

so let me ask if you disconnect the box from the tv does this still happen?  do you have the tv plugged into the box?  if so move it to its own outlet and see if that does anything.  Also in the box menu under setup what do you have set for the ac power, switched or unswitched.

New Poster

I dis-connected the cable box from my TV and had them both on and no issues....TV stays on (not turning on and off).  When I plug the cable box back into the TV and turn them both on that is when the issue happens (TV turning on and off).

The TV is not plugged into the cable box, rather, its own outlet.

The AC power is "unswitched"

Silver Problem Solver

how are you connected to the box and what cable box is it?  have you tried a different connection?  I am going to guess you are hooked up hdmi.  I don't see how just connecting the cable to the tv would make the tv physically turn on and off.  

New Poster

I am connected to the cable box from the TV using a HDMI cord.  I have not tried a different connection and would like to avoid this as I thought HDMI gives you the best picture.

My Cable Box is the Cisco RNG200N.

Comcast keeps telling me that the cable box cant turn on and off my TV but how do I explain this issue ONLY happening when the cable box is on and connected to the TV?

I really appreciate your help. 

New Poster

I also have a 32 inch LCD Sharp TV in my bedroom which is connected to the normal non-DVR HD box and have no issues at all.

Should I try to connect the non-DVR box to my TV that is having the issue?  Will that cause any issues to the box that is working correctly?

Gold Problem Solver

Try using the TV remote to access the TV's menu and turn off the CEC feature, which is something which allows communication between HDMI-connected boxes and TVs.