Community Forum

HDMI link (comcast labs beta feature) fights with other Anynet+ devices

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

HDMI link (comcast labs beta feature) fights with other Anynet+ devices

Not sure where or how to provide feedback on Comcast Labs features, so I'm posting here...

The HDMI link on my X1 box correctly turns off the X1 box when the TV (Samsung LED) is turned off as expected. However, I also have a samsung bluray player that is Anynet+ capable. Before enabling HDMI link on the X1 box, when the bluray player was powered on, the TV would also turn on and then switch to the correct HDMI input. After enabling HDMI link on the X1 box, I now get "fighting" between the BD player and the X1 box. What I mean by that is when I power on the BD player the TV does the following: 

TV powers on (expected)

TV switches to the BD HDMI input (expected)

X1 box powers on (not expected or wanted)

TV switches to the X1 HDMI input (not expected or wanted)

I then have to manually switch the TV back to the BD HDMI input and now have the X1 box turned on which I didn't want.

From my point of view, the TV turning on should NOT cause the X1 box to power on. This is the behavior that the BD uses. Because of this I've now disabled X1 HDMI link because it's more trouble than it's worth

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HDMI link (comcast labs beta feature) fights with other Anynet+ devices

I assume you do NOT have an a/v receiver in the mix?  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Correct. No A/V receiver. BD player and X1 box connected directly to the TV

Expert

Are you possibly using the Comcast remote to turn the tv on and off. This could be your problem.

I set up my Samsung TV to use AnyNet+ features back in January 2016. The cable-box is routed with High-speed HDMI directly to the television. The first lesson learned was Do not use Comcast remote to control tv. The second lesson learned was to not try to use the tv remote to control the Comcast cable-box.

To this day I just turn the cable-box on right before turning on the tv. Leaving a cable-box "On" or in "Stand-by" mode should work fine too.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Actually, in this situation I'm not using any remote at all. I simply push the power button on the BD player so I can put in a BD.

Expert

@GBeatty wrote:

Actually, in this situation I'm not using any remote at all. I simply push the power button on the BD player so I can put in a BD.

Yes; that is the way it is suppose to work. Turning on my Sony 3D Blu-ray player automatically switches source from either cable (or OTA) to HDMI port for player. Turning off the player switches source back to cable (or antenna); whichever was last being used. My Sony 5.1 AV box uses the HDMI ARC port on the hub, so if it has been selected for speakers, it will turn on for 5.1 audio too.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

I don't think you completely read the original post. Powering on my Blu-ray player not only causes TV to turn on and switch to the correct HDMI port... The X1 box sees the TV turning on and then turns itself on and then switches the TV to the HDMI port for the X1 box. 

So long story short... Turning on Blu-ray player results in the Blu-ray player, X1 box, and TV all powered on and the TV switched to the HDMI port for the X1 box instead of the Blu-ray player

Expert

@GBeatty wrote:

I don't think you completely read the original post. Powering on my Blu-ray player not only causes TV to turn on and switch to the correct HDMI port... The X1 box sees the TV turning on and then turns itself on and then switches the TV to the HDMI port for the X1 box. 

So long story short... Turning on Blu-ray player results in the Blu-ray player, X1 box, and TV all powered on and the TV switched to the HDMI port for the X1 box instead of the Blu-ray player

Okay I see what you are asking. I missed the Blu-ray turning "on" the tv and cable-box. I opted out for using Anynet+ on the cable-box. The only other difference from your set up and mine is that I do not have the X1 cable-box. Since the X1 box is either "always on", or in "stand by" your cable-box is the likely culprit. It senses the tv turning on and opens the port.

My older Cisco RNG 150N cannot do that. It is either off or on and neither way interferes with AnyNet+.

Frequent Visitor

That's the whole point of reporting this problem Smiley Wink 

The AnyNet+ beta feature on the X1 box isn't playing nice with other AnyNet+ devices.

And actually the description for the AnyNet+ feature (HDMI link as comcast is calling it) states that its purpose is to be able to put the X1 into standby when tv is turned off, so that you're not stuck with an always-on device wasting power.

Expert

Don't hold your breath waiting for a quick fix on this on.  

Expert

adding.... comparing the on vs stand-by wattage, if you leave the device in stand-by mode 24/7/365 (so never use the box at all) the savings is around $1.00 per year. just leave box on and not on stand-by so there is no transition to full-on to deal with by your setup (similar to an antenna always being on).

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben - please don't drag this post off topic. And if you're going to post info like this, you should have some hard data to back up your claim.

Highlighted
Expert

@GBeatty wrote:

@Rustyben - please don't drag this post off topic. And if you're going to post info like this, you should have some hard data to back up your claim.

the X1 device is desgined to be left on all the time (fully on) and switching to powersaving is helping to cause the issues in your post. turn the power saver to off, and the Comcast Labs HDMI link to off and then the signal will never disappear off the HDMI input for the cable box and won't interfere with your other devices. The X1 in that manner will be like an antenna signal and always be there when you watch the set top box as a source.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben - please stop. I am reporting a bug with a beta feature that is implemented in the X1 software. Whether you believe this feature is useful or not is completely beside the point!

Expert

I agree with the need to get the bug fixed, or Comcast should quit claiming the box handles AnyNet+. However; they do admit this is a Beta feature and do expect people like you to report problems.

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

Official Employee

GBeatty, I can take a look at your box to make sure it isn't registering any errors. Otherwise, I'll reach out to the X1 team to see if they have any input. Please private message me your full name and phone number so I can have a look at your X1 box. 

KenF

Silver Problem Solver

@GBeatty wrote:

That's the whole point of reporting this problem Smiley Wink 

The AnyNet+ beta feature on the X1 box isn't playing nice with other AnyNet+ devices.

And actually the description for the AnyNet+ feature (HDMI link as comcast is calling it) states that its purpose is to be able to put the X1 into standby when tv is turned off, so that you're not stuck with an always-on device wasting power.

FYI the Comcast Labs HDMI Link is not a Samsung AnyNet+ beta feature.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, I wansn't very clear on that post. I am aware that HDMI Link isn't a samsung feature. "HDMI Link" is Comcast's branding for their new (beta) HDMI-CEC implementation on the X1 box just like "AnyNet+" is Samsung's branding for the same thing on Samsung devices.