Community Forum

HDMI Surge

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

HDMI Surge

It appears a power surge fried two Comcast boxes and the connected TV’s.  Based on what was / wasn’t impacted, I believe it came up the Comcast rg11 cable.  This is the second time I’ve experienced this in the same home.  The rg11 goes to a splitter, the splitter feeds the internet box and the two TV boxes.   Both tv boxes are dead as are the attached TV’s.  The first time this happened I could see burn marks on the hdmi board in the TV.  The outside connection at the side of the house is grounded, it’s visibly obvious.   Any idea what I can do to prevent this from happening again? Not interested in blame, just a solution.  Thanks. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HDMI Surge

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

There are inline surge protectors you can install on the coax cable, like this one, or on the HDMI cables, like this one

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Admin1

Hi mmuraco -- I can help you get some preventative measures in place. What I can do is have local tech ops review this situation. They can double check to ensure everything on our side is properly grounded, help with finding where these surges could be entering from, and how to surge protection in place. Please send me a DM with name for authentication and best contact information to tech ops to reach you at. I'll get this over to them once I have that information. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you, I have a Comcast tech coming out tomorrow afternoon.  I assume this is what you are refrerring too?   On a side note,  I bought a non contact voltage detector today.  It showed my hdmi cables as hot.  It also showed them as hot even after I disconnected both ends. Obviously, there is no chance for ac current with both ends sitting on my kitchen counter.  I assume there could be a static build up lingering, but very weird - or just a broken device.  

Official Employee

Hi @mmuraco

I just wanted to check in to see how your services have been working since that tech visit?  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.