Community Forum

HBO / Game of Thrones not working

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

HBO / Game of Thrones not working

Up until this morning I hadn't been having the issues that many people here have had with videos never playing. But this morning I couldn't watch Game of Thrones, I'd get the little HBO introductory tune / video and then when the video went to start it never would.

In FireFox on the system that I use to watch videos I have an extension called "Status-4-Evar" which puts the staus bar back that was removed in FireFox 4 and I could see the url that was apparently getting hung up and never responding when I tried to watch Game of Thrones. So I went a step farther and found an extension called "Live HTTP headers" which allowed me to capture more detailed information about what and where the browser was getting hung up. So according to the log this is the url that's causing the problem:

----------------------------------------------------------
http://analytics.xcal.tv/crossdomain.xml

GET /crossdomain.xml HTTP/1.1
Host: analytics.xcal.tv
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Referer: http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/swf/rev/1399578747/x2player.swf
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.0 504 Gateway Time-out
Cache-Control: no-cache
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html
----------------------------------------------------------

so this is where the video is getting hung up and you can clearly see the message "HTTP/1.0 504 Gateway Time-out" so this site for whatever reason is never responding to whatever request that Comcast is sending to it.

So Comcast people, can you take a look at this and get this fixed since I believe that this is the source of so many problems that are giving your customers screaming fits.

- Norm

Official Employee

Re: HBO / Game of Thrones not working

Our engineering team has reported back to me. The player is designed to ignore that error and let playback continue. It shouldn't be happening so we're looking into it and will get it fixed, but it's not the root cause of the video playback problem.

Thanks for reporting it,

- Dan

Official Employee

Post was removed because personal information was posted

Regular Contributor

Is any action being taken to resolve this?

Regular Contributor

I don't know what was in there that was personal other than my zip code which is not giving any state secrets away but the fact remains that like so many users here I'm now one of these people who now apparently can't watch any number of things on the streaming service that I was formerly able to watch. I'm giving you good solid technical facts that I think point to the source of the problem and I'd really like to know what's being done to fix the problem?

Both on Game of Thrones and now Bones the video gets stuck after the introductory commercial and the player says "Buffering..." but what I'm seeing in status and Live HTTP Headers is the same thing over and over that the player keeps waiting for some response from http://analytics.xcal.tv/player and it keeps saying like "I'm here, how about some data" and xcal.tv never responds.

- Norm

EDIT: Cookie information was removed by ComcastJoe

Regular Contributor

I believe that in my case I've managed to fix this problem, I had been using what I believed was the latest version of the Flash player 13.0.0.206 which was released 04/28/14 but I just discovered that a newer version was just released on 05/13/14 version 13.0.0.214. After installing the new version and restarting FireFox both Bones and Game of Thrones now appear to work.

So I suggest that anyone having the issue with videos not starting after the introductory commercial update if they haven't already and try again.

- Norm

Official Employee

I've forwarded that along to our team. They'll test that version of flash specifically. If there's a problem we'll update the minimum version to stop people from falling into that issue.

As for the editing, there was not too egregious in your postings, but some of the cookies contained information which we consider sensitive for your account security because we like to error on the safe side.

- Dan

New Poster

Tried the flash player update and that still didn't work.  Any news about when this will be fixed?

New Poster

It looks like the flash update solution was posted almost a year ago.  Whatever is going on today is a different issue.  All of my software is up to date, and I've never had streaming issues before, and yet all of the GoT episodes are unavailable.

Regular Contributor

Gearsmith4:

It's hard to tell from the limmited information in your post, but you seem to be saying that when you go to Game of Thrones it's saying that all GoT episodes are unavailable.

As a temporary workaround you can go directly to the HBO website and watch from there; the unavailability of GoT episodes is almost certainly a Xfinity problem. To fix your problem you can try and call the applications department, they may be able to assist you where regular support cannot. They can be reached at 877-599-1845.

- Norm