Community Forum

Frustrating streaming problems

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Frustrating streaming problems

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I watch everything primarily on my computer. I watch about an hour of tv on my television per week, the other 10-12 hours I watch via computer and the Xfinity website. I wanted to point out a few glaring errors on your website. These are obviously not the only problems, but theyre the ones that frustrate me the most.

- While watching anything, it is really hard to control the volume or quality within the streaming app. I hover over volume/quality to bring up the controls, but when I move the mouse the volume/quality control disappears. I have to mouse over the icon 5-10 times until the controls stays onscreen. This doesn't happen with any other website that uses Silverlight (netflix, fox, etc.).

- I understand the need for commercial breaks, but do you have to play a single ad 15 times during the course of a one hour program? Not only does this smack of laziness on the part of whoever is adding content to your site, but it has the opposite effect that advertising is supposed to have...it makes me HATE. For instance, I will NEVER EVER use Geico for any reason because I have been forced to sit through the same stupid Geico commercial 50 times a week.

- Episodes of shows disappear from the online list for seemingly no reason. For instance, one day all of the episodes of Game of Thrones are available to watch. The next day I check in and episode 7 of season 2 is gone. Thats so random and needless I can only chalk it up to human error on your part.

I am one of millions that pays over 100 bucks a month to you people. I appreciate all you have done over the last couple years introducing new ways to watch and making the overall online experience better than it was, but I think its past time you start fixing what is broken. You wouldn't be the only company to have lost its customer base due to shoddy maintanence, so I suggest you start putting that money to work. Fix your bugs and train your staff better or you may not have as many customers to ignore.

Tags (1)
Contributor

Re: Frustrating streaming problems

I can think of one word for the commercials REVENUE !

Official Employee

"While watching anything, it is really hard to control the volume or quality within the streaming app. I hover over volume/quality to bring up the controls, but when I move the mouse the volume/quality control disappears. I have to mouse over the icon 5-10 times until the controls stays onscreen. This doesn't happen with any other website that uses Silverlight (netflix, fox, etc.)." - We try to balance it where you can easily rewind, fast forward, adjust the volume etc. without interfering with watching a video. I will pass your feedback along to our product team to take under consideration going forward.

"I understand the need for commercial breaks, but do you have to play a single ad 15 times during the course of a one hour program? Not only does this smack of laziness on the part of whoever is adding content to your site, but it has the opposite effect that advertising is supposed to have...it makes me HATE. For instance, I will NEVER EVER use Geico for any reason because I have been forced to sit through the same stupid Geico commercial 50 times a week." - What specific shows and episodes are you seeing this in? I would like to further look into this.

"Episodes of shows disappear from the online list for seemingly no reason. For instance, one day all of the episodes of Game of Thrones are available to watch. The next day I check in and episode 7 of season 2 is gone. Thats so random and needless I can only chalk it up to human error on your part." - In this particular case, episodes 2 and 7 were removed by a mistake on our end and then re-added. Sorry for the inconvenience. When it comes to others programs, many people have requested adding expiration dates on the videos so customers can prioritize what to watch. We are considering this idea for the future.

Thanks for your feedback,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Regular Contributor

1. Its not just feedback, its a bug that needs to be addressed. Again, the cursor moves over the icon and the control appears above it, but when you move the cursor off the icon the control disappears.

2.Pretty much any show I watch. Either one ad will play two or three times per break, or the same set of ads plays repeatedly every break. Cartoon Network seems to be the worst, with the same ad playing multiple times for every break.

3. I understand that mistakes sometimes happen, but it is not excusable at this level of business for a service that customers are paying (arguably) way too much for already. You can either gouge me and be perfect or charge less and make the occasional mistake.

It is not encouraging that there seems to be only one Comcast rep monitoring these forums. Even if this is a regional forum you need more than one person to properly care for the amount of customers youre dealing with. It also makes me wonder: how many people are responsible for updating content or fixing bugs? I have a feeling its not enough. It might be a good idea to take a bit more of that ad revenue (and maybe take a piece of that marketing budget) and start fixing bugs and training your staff better.

Frequent Visitor

I have exactly that same issue (with the controls).  Something big time wrong.

Perhaps it's a calculation goofed up by a frame moved from text zooming?

Here: Windows XP SP2, Dell Inspiron 6000, Firefox 14

Regular Visitor

I cannot watch anything on Xfinity streaming website without freezing or getting error messages.  I am so frustrated that I am thinking of switching from Xfinity altogether.  I want to watch an episode and it freezes and the same episode is playing fine on the network sites.

Why is this happening?  Is this something that Xfinity controls and does not want to fix?  It is really annoying.

I am going back to AT&T Uverse.

New Poster

I can't even watch a 15 minute video without being forced to sit through 20 minutes of ads before I even get to see the video. Then, after about 5 minutes of streaming, another 15 minutes of ads... I will be dumping this service if this continues.

Problem Solver

Ferg0150 wrote:

I can't even watch a 15 minute video without being forced to sit through 20 minutes of ads before I even get to see the video. Then, after about 5 minutes of streaming, another 15 minutes of ads... I will be dumping this service if this continues.

Where do you see 20 or even 15 minutes of ads online?  I don't think I've ever seen more than about 5 minutes of ads (and usually less than that) in a single ad block online.

Regular Contributor

I've been complaining about assorted problems for months but in the last month I've noticed specfically CBS shows on Xfinity streaming have this freezing problem. I can't watch any CBS show i.e. Blue Bloods, CSI, Elementary, The Good Wife, NCIS all have this freezing problem while shows from other networks such as ABC shows i.e Once Upon A Time, Castle, Body Of Proof, Greys Anatomy do not have this problem.

In my case somewhere in the middle of a chapter (sometimes more towards the end) the video just freezes and never continues. If I hit the refresh browser button I no longer get the option to start from the beginning or resume the video and I have to try and scroll to about where I left off. After having this happen two or three times I usually just give up and lately I haven't even been trying.

At the suggestion of other users I've been going directly to the CBS web site to watch the shows that simply don't work on Xfinity.

Come on Comcast, what's the problem with these CBS shows and when is it going to be fixed?

- Norm

Regular Contributor

I've seen instances of the same series of commercials play more than once but never more than three times, which probably addes up to no more than five minutes.

Have you noticed this with specific shows or shows that belong to a specific network? For instance I've noticed that CBS shows in particular have a freezing problem.

- Norm

Regular Contributor

I tried watching the season finale of NCIS and as with all the other CBS shows I've been tryng to watch it got stuck in the middle of the first chapter and I had to go to the CBS website where I was able to watch the show without any problem.

- Norm

New Poster

I concur with the issue of constant freezes with CBS shows that are streamed via online. For how big a company Comcast is and how they supposedly are all about customer service they sure take their sweet time fixing issues and let us customers to the testing. Not impressed.

Regular Visitor

I was looking at these comments, which date back a couple of years, and they describe exactly my experience in 2014.  Volume controls are crazy, commercials are INSANE.  To watch a 45 minute show you have to sit through 45 minutes of commercials, the same ones looping over and over again non stop. Sometimes you never even get back to the show. In addition, if you stop and try to restart where you left off, you loop into a never-ending commercial break with the same 3-4 commercials running over and over again.  It is such a bad viewing experience, I would not recommend it to anyone. I generally start watching something and then end up turning the volume off and ignoring the rest of the show because I can't stand the commercial loops.  Comcast should do better for what they charge, and yet I don't see any responses or fixes to a problem that was identified at least 2 years ago. What's up with that?

New Poster

I'm seeing the same thing. I've been trying to watch a show for the last 45 minutes, and it's been about five mintues to show, and over 40 mintues of the same 3-4 commercials. When the show restarts, it jumps back about 10 seconds from before the break, then plays the 10 secs and starts the commercials over again.

Regular Contributor

The one positive thing I can tell y'all is that there are alternatives to the shoddy, sporadic quality of Xfinity TV. Most network and premium channels have their own sites with streaming content that far surpasses Xfinity. HBO, Starz, NBC, Fox, AMC...those are just a few of the networks that have actually put some effort into their streaming technology and their sites are far better than anything Comcast can do. I urge all of you to stop using Xfinity and go to these sites instead.

Comcast really needs to start paying attention to their online customers before they lose us. At this point I am only paying Comcast in order to have permission to watch content at OTHER websites. Comcast is a middle man, a fee collection agency. At this rate its only a matter of time until they go out of business and we can pay our money directly to the networks that care enough about their content (and their customers) to show it in the highest quality possible. I look forward to dancing on Comcast's virtual grave.

New Poster

This streaming garbage has been going on long enough. Your ads service is garbage. I pay plenty of money monthly to not/should not have to watch these stupid adds, i've seen this stupid falling skies trailer 80 times, because it just continues to play and continues to play. quite annoying to anyones standards... and then BAM it freezes because your server cant handle the output. if you are going to make a proper streaming website for the love of god increase your out going bandwidth so i dont have to deal with it locking up. im running on fiber... from work .which is garbage because att sucks. either. its fiber, i shouldnt have to wait for your slow-*** (Blank) **** to start working. lets get this going. what do you need? programmers? website developers? call china they will do it for cents on the dollar. so lets go.

Regular Visitor

And why isn't anyone from Comcast replying to these messages? How can we get someone to at least acknowledge that we are frustrated with their expensive service which should give you access to the shows without the commercial.

If you go to the network sites and try to watch the same show on their own site, there are commercials but much less than Comcast so I could tell that all these commercials are from Comcast.

Regular Visitor

Everytime I try to stream a show lately the first comercial will play, and then nothing. I press refresh and then the same thing happens again, the first comercial plays and that's it. Not one second of the actual show will play and yet some how the commercial always plays just fine, it does't seem to matter what I choose to watch. Most recently this has happend when I tried to watch Breaking Bad and American Horror Story. I used to watch these shows online all the time. I hope this is fixed soon.

Regular Contributor

Hi Lex5:

Adobe recently released a new version of the Flash player 16.0.0.235, you can try and update to that version (if you haven't already) and see if that makes a difference.

What browser are you using and have you tried a different browser?

When there are problems with the streaming service that make it unwatchable, the best workaround is to go right to the networks own site (when possible) and in most cases you should be able to watch from there until the problem is corrected.

- Norm