Community Forum

Freezing and skipping sports programs

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Freezing and skipping sports programs

One of my TVs is consistently freezing and skipping while watching any sports channel.  All connections are tight on the back.  What else will help alleviate this issue?

Contributor

Re: Freezing and skipping sports programs

thank you for posting this.  I've had this for years.  They have no solution.  Did everything.  Even guy came out one year.  Nothing.  No solution. Nada. 

I'm trying to watch cubs/redsox tonight and it's skipping all over the place the feed and sound.  It's like someone threw a bunch of different color paints onto my tv screen.

Regular Visitor

yup. same here.

Contributor

can comast address this?  I only have cable for sports and it is terrible the sports channels don't have a passable feed.

Official Employee

Hi all, I would be happy to assist you with getting your sports channels to work. Are you seeing freezing while only watching sports channels? Have you tried unplugging your equipment to reset your connection? Can you please provide pictures and specific channels that you're experiencing the freezing on? If the issue on occurs on one cable box then it is more than likely that piece of equipment that is having the issue, a simple restart should correct this problem. If not please check your HDMI and coax cable and make sure they are firmly fastened. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

If not please check your HDMI and coax cable and make sure they are firmly fastened. 

please explain how hdmi cables and coax cables loosen themselves?!!

this step of troubleshooting is the worst suggestion ever AND it's always suggested.

CABLES DO NOT HAVE ARMS to loosen themselves. stop with this suggestion

Official Employee

I understand what you mean carmichalski01, and you're right they don’t have arms to loosen themselves. But, these cables can become lose over time due to many different reasons. Checking to make sure they are secured is a good first step to resolving any pixilation issue.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

yes been thru the checking the cables are not loose etc...

but only the sports channels are pixelated and freezing while the other channels work just fine.

it happens on both my boxes so i dont think it's the box.  I have put both tv's side by side and it occurs at the same moments.  So i think it's something w/ the feed coming in. 

like i said been thru this already.  had a guy come out and try to fix it some years ago.  i think there is no solution since comcast cannot determine the root cause. 

some sports channels it's horrific.  like nbcsn its hard to watch the stanley cup playoffs.  espn , nfl, mlb, nba it happens intermittently. 

Contributor

Comcast - I have taken some videos of this happening.  3 are from NBCSN CHANNEL 723 Stanley Cup Playoffs, 1 is from CSN Bay Area  channel 720 Giants@Cubs, and the other is from ESPN STl @ Dodgers Channel 724.  All from tonight 5/23 , 3 different sports channels.

I was not sure how to post videos here, so I have hosted them on twitter for you to examine : :

Any solutions?  It's been pretty bad all night.  Cant watch ESPN baseball at all without it going bad.  And it got really bad 3rd period of the hockey playoffs and the post game show.

Official Employee

norcalneil wrote:

Comcast - I have taken some videos of this happening.  3 are from NBCSN CHANNEL 723 Stanley Cup Playoffs, 1 is from CSN Bay Area  channel 720 Giants@Cubs, and the other is from ESPN STl @ Dodgers Channel 724.  All from tonight 5/23 , 3 different sports channels.

I was not sure how to post videos here, so I have hosted them on twitter for you to examine : :

Any solutions?  It's been pretty bad all night.  Cant watch ESPN baseball at all without it going bad.  And it got really bad 3rd period of the hockey playoffs and the post game show.

Check your connections, cables etc, remove any unnecessary splitters. Possibly get a tech out. Your dvr is way below specs and unrelated to X1, your modem is also far below spec too.

Contributor

The modem I got was the one Comcast sent me last year to replace the one I already had previously.  The DVR is also from what comcast has told me up to date for my services and is X1.

I've done the connections etc.. nothing is loose.

Again, all other channels work fine. Just the sports channels have this issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Norcalneil,

You misunderstood what Andrew is telling you. He is not saying your devices are out of spec. He is saying the signals reaching those boxes are out of spec and causing them to not operate properly.

STRONGLY suggest that you follow his advice and have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.
Contributor

Rick - thanks for the clarification.

? - if they send a tech out will they charge me?  and why would it only occur on the sports channels?

Gold Problem Solver

It depends upon where the problem is. Comcast's policy on this is the same as every other big telecommunications company.  If the problem is their hardware or the lines leading up to your house, you should not be charged. If the problem is within your house you probably will be charged.

We own the wiring within our houses and Comcast is not responsible for that.

norcalneil wrote:

Rick - thanks for the clarification.

? - if they send a tech out will they charge me?

New Poster

I am having the same problem and your comment about the cables not having arms made me laugh out loud I was crying I was laughing so much and it's so true always suggested!
Gold Problem Solver

I realize this post is a few months old but I felt the need to correct this post.

1. Temperature changes are CONSTANTLY changing electronic connections.
2. Humidity changes can change electronic connections.
3. Many Coax cable connections are hand made and unless the are made correctly with the correct tools they can and do fail.
4. HDMI cables have 19 conductors with signals running back and forth on very thin wires. They can and do fail.
5. Those 19 cables inside HDMI cables require good contact with every device in the signal path, not just the next component in line.

I cannot tell you how many times my company has had to make a service call simply because cleaning people bumped something.

I could keep going but I will stop here. Sorry but carmichalski's post is extremely inaccurate and should be disregarded.

carmichalski01 wrote:

If not please check your HDMI and coax cable and make sure they are firmly fastened. 

please explain how hdmi cables and coax cables loosen themselves?!!

this step of troubleshooting is the worst suggestion ever AND it's always suggested.

CABLES DO NOT HAVE ARMS to loosen themselves. stop with this suggestion

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

The channels that it happens on the most are all the ESPN channels!
New Poster

About 4-6 months ago my screen would lock up (frozen image)! I could change the channel and the audio was fine; but, the image displayed would never change. Only fix was to unplug the power to the set top box. About 2 months after this started, all Sports Channels started displaying broken images (similar to everyone's descriptions). Definitely is the Sports Networks (ESPN, ESPN2, FSN, ...) Anything that seemed to be live feeds as opposed to movies or TV shows. I went online with Comcast and got a New Set Top Box. For about a month everything seemed great, now it's as bad as ever; but, it's not consistent. One night terrible (World Series of Poker is bad, cycling, soccer ... all bad) , the next day everything seems fine! IT HAS TO BE THE SIGNAL FROM COMCAST !! THEY HAVE A PROBLEM!
Official Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Forums, I would be happy to look at your account from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.