Community Forum

Fix or Replace the Motorola DCX3400 HD DVR, HDMI Problem

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Fix or Replace the Motorola DCX3400 HD DVR, HDMI Problem

The problem with the Motorola DCX3400 HD DVR not being able to maintain its user settings due to its inability to manage the HDMI handshake protocol is widely publicized.

Message to Comcast: Please either fix the HDMI problem with this equipment or replace it with something that actually functions properly.

Every time I power up my home entertainment system (AV-receiver + TV + DCX3400 cable box) to watch television, I have to go into the DCX3400 user settings and set the HDMI output to Native. The box is incapable of retaining these settings. Again, this is a well-known and well-documented DEFECT with the Motorola equipment.

PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM OR REPLACE THE EQUIPMENT with somethng that functions properly.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Fix or Replace the Motorola DCX3400 HD DVR, HDMI Problem

if you leave the cable box on does it still have the issue?  the box is never really off so turning it off is not saving you anything.  You can also take the box to the local office and get a new one.  I don't think comcast is going to as you say fix it,  I believe its a motorola issue since comcast just loads its software onto the box the actual OS is there from motorola.   Comcast is going to be rolling out the new iptv boxes later this year.

most times that error is when your trying to run it to the receiver and not just to the tv.   If you go direct from box to tv and then optical audio to receiver I see the problem goes away.

New Poster

I had to replace mine with a smaller box. It looks like setting the unit to native and checking only the 1080 options might work.
Regular Visitor

Yes, if I leave the box on, it still has the issue. When I switch my AV system on, a new HDMI communication between the AV receiver and the Motorola box takes place. At this juncture, the Motorola box goes back to the 720p setting.

If I cable the Motorola box via HDMI direct to the TV, I experience a downgrade of the functionality of my AV receiver, in that I am not able to call up the AV receiver's on-screen menu while watching content from the cable box. This is an unacceptable workaround, in my opinion. For now, I know how to effect the workaround and choose this route over degraded functionality of my AV receiver due to Comcast equipment problems.

I realize this is a Motorola issue, for sure. None the less, Comcast has chosen to use and continues to use the Motorola equipment and provide it to its customers as a Comcast solution. At the very least, Comcast should be placing massive pressure on Motorola to fix its problem. (If I have such a problem with an integrated product/service I provide to my customers, my customers have zero tolerance for my telling them that my supplier has a problem and that I can do nothing about it. I go back to my supplier and work with them to provide a working solution for my customers.)

I have also heard multiple times from Comcast that something new will be rolling out only to find that the roll out is either late or will not happen (due to changed strategy, etc). I also have my doubts about the quality of a new product roll out from Comcast, given their history with "buggy" products.

Frequent Visitor

Have precisely the same issue with the RNG200N DVR. I've seen many complaints reported on the web over the years about this issue on many set top boxes. Yet, nothing has changed, not even on the HD DVRs.

Here's a report I got from my receiver customer support contact:

"I just sent out an email to a couple cable providers in our area. Initially, they suggested using component video with optical or coax cable audio between the cable box and receiver. They made it seem like they have ran into this before, but also mentioned they would research 'other' options and get back to me."

This is the current state of the art in Comcast land. Blame it on Motorola and do nothing. The fact of the matter is, Comcast is responsible for the specifications of their boxes. If they get it wrong, they're obligated to fix it. There's been no action for several years as evidenced on the web. They simply leave it to you to cobble something together to compensate for their dereliction of duty. Frankly, I don't think they have a clue and couldn't give a toss.

New Poster

I've had the same problems with audio, but found an interesting situation.  If I record a show on the 3400, and while playing it, experience the one minute audio drop-out, I can rewind to the minute before the drop-out and the audio is there and plays just fine.  Comcast has no answer on why this occurs.