Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

External Hard Drive support

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

External Hard Drive support

Had Comcast installed and was a little leery due to the lack of internal hard drive space or amount of shows that could be recorded.  The installation tech stated that it shouldn't be a problem as I could just get an external hard drive with an ESata cable and plug it into the back and I would have more space.  Finally broke down and got the external hard drive, plugged it in and Lo and Behold, nothing shows up.  After going through the help section I found a long of old messages (2014 and 2015) stating that the ESata port is not enabled and that you can't use an external hard drive that is not supported.  Why would an installation tech tell me this is a possibility?  I am in the Salt Lake City area.  Is this not a real feature?  I don't mean to sound angry about this, but 500 Gb or 60 hours is kind of a deal breaker.  

Henry

Expert

Re: External Hard Drive support

hreisig1 wrote:

Had Comcast installed and was a little leery due to the lack of internal hard drive space or amount of shows that could be recorded.  The installation tech stated that it shouldn't be a problem as I could just get an external hard drive with an ESata cable and plug it into the back and I would have more space.  Finally broke down and got the external hard drive, plugged it in and Lo and Behold, nothing shows up.  After going through the help section I found a long of old messages (2014 and 2015) stating that the ESata port is not enabled and that you can't use an external hard drive that is not supported.  Why would an installation tech tell me this is a possibility?  I am in the Salt Lake City area.  Is this not a real feature?  I don't mean to sound angry about this, but 500 Gb or 60 hours is kind of a deal breaker.  

Henry

I still have mine attached (had it on the older DVR system) and it does not work. I have 3 DVRs as I need the space of 3 but only the tuners from 2 so far. Someone tried installing a bigger drive inside the box (not allowed per terms of service) and the system shortly responded with a message similar to 'too much space on hard drive' and shut down.

New Poster

Re: External Hard Drive support

Thanks for the reply.  Although this is not a solution it at least let’s me know that it is not just me.  I had a conversation with online support and they gave me a set of instructions to follow that did not work.  The dvr still doesn’t recognize the external hard drive.