Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

External Hard Drive For X1 DVR

Frequent Visitor

External Hard Drive For X1 DVR

Is there an X1 DVR that has both cloud service and allows an external hard drive to increase storage capacity? I have a Pace PX013ANM DVR and they tell me the eSata on the back is not active.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: External Hard Drive For X1 DVR

X1 boxes cannot connect to external hard drives. The only way to expand recording capacity with X1 is rent additional DVRs.

This is an often discussed topic. Feel free to search the forum if you need more info.
Regular Visitor

This may be the wrong place as I don't care if it's an external drive physically attached to my box or if Comcast will provide a bigger cloud! Can I rent additional DVR space for my X1 box from Comcast. bgerloff@comcast.net When it is suggested to buy more DVR (X1s?) boxes does that literally mean another (or more) X1 boxes in the house? Do they daisy chain? How does the interface work? I don't care if it's in the cloud or on mars. 500 gigs just isn't enough. Will Comcast rent me more? I LOVE my X1 system as it is. I travel extensivly and it allows me to watch all my programs on the road---until there is no more space! So I repeat---HOW can I get more space,time, gigs, or whatever more program recording time is called! 

Gold Problem Solver

The only way to increase recording capacity with X1 is to rent additional X1 DVRs.

Comcast continues to steadfastly refuse to turn on the expansion ports on X1 boxes.
Regular Visitor

Replying to RickGr4:: Exactly what do you mean when you say "rent additional X1 DVRs". Do they all mesh so that when I access my account on line there is more room for shows so I could have more recordings without filling up my space (or quota or limit??)

Gold Problem Solver

Multiple X1 DVRs pool their resources. They function together as one larger DVR. It actually works well. However the problem is users have no control over where recordings are stored and all recordings can be seen on all X1 boxes in the house. You cannot have "private" recordings.

In my opinion lack of recording storage capacity remains X1's biggest weakness.
Regular Visitor

Question for RickGr4     That is the least of my problems. I live alone, don't have to worry about anyone else. So I just call up Comcast & say I want another x1box? They come & plug it in & I have more space? Is it in parallel on the coax to 1 (the same)TV? Or does it T off to a 2nd TV? Does the menu bring everything up as available. Can I just set by the 1st box & join with a short coax? What is the physical configuration of the boxes in the house? I thought all the recording was in the cloud, not on each box. Are you saying the x1box actually has a hard drive that I access when I am on the road?

Gold Problem Solver

You could have two X1 boxes connected to the same TV as long as your TV has enough HDMI ports. You would have one remote for each box. Or you could have a second box connected to a different TV in the house which would be more typical.

Yes call Comcast and tell them you want an additional DVR. You might get some push back as not all Comcast employees are properly trained on this. I have found it better to visit a Comcast service center and talk to someone face to face.
Regular Visitor

For RickGr4   THANK YOU so much for your timely & thorough response. I started out thimking I was going to be "butting my head against a wall". That I would just be told NO, can't do that!   I will also use your suggestion to go to a comcast store. It makes sense. On another subject concerning Comcast. If one has an idea that would fit Comcasts business plan in a unique & lucrative way, that would be fairly simple to impliment, and yet be a feature that would be way above & ahead of the competition, who & or how would one approach the company. I am refering to a real and professional dialog. 

Gold Problem Solver

Unfortunately you will find Comcast to be a rather stubborn and difficult to deal with company.

In regards to changes or improvements to X1 service it is brutally clear that they are not listening to feedback and input from customers. If they were, X1 would be a greatly different product and experience than it currently is.

A perfect example would be what we are discussing here. The subject of expanding X1's recording capacity is far from new. People have been passionately complaining about X1's lack of recording storage capacity since the platform launched in the spring of 2013 (X1 may be new to you but it has been around for over four years now). It is a glaring example that Comcast isn't listening..