Community Forum

Error code RDK-03004

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO RDK-03004

@ggggkljhwuhjdn wrote:

My new cable boxes would not set up. It makes no sense BUT Rebooting the internet modem worked and all is well.

That's interesting.  My coax bypasses my DPC3941T gateway with a splitter.  One coax goes to the gateway and the other coax goes into my attic and connects to the Comcast powered amp.  Then all six coax connections for my X1 boxes connect to it with homeruns (meaning no additional splitters).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

be that as it may, the trick worked for me after 3 reboots of x1 unsuccessful...worth a try!

New Poster

Reset button is actually located inside a tiny hole above that USB spot...

New Poster

This worked!  Thank you!  Wish comcast support techs would read these posts so they could actually help people instead of wasting their money dispatching technicians to your home.  Cannot wait to get better alternatives for Live TV.  Looking into Sony View.  Can't believe these guys wanted to charge me $ to fix their already overpriced service.

New Poster

Worked for me too! Reset modem...
New Poster

Thanks!!  Rebooting modem worked for me as well.  I fought the phone agents for two nights and returned (2) X1 boxes that I was told were bad.  Rebooted modem and all was good.  Still had to call a different tech number that came up on the screen during the powerup of the X1 box.  The Comcast store failed to activate the box when I picked it up.  The nice agent tonight said that information to one's X1 platform are sent over the internet, that is why a reboot of the cable modem is important and sometimes necessary!  Thank you again for the tip coming from a non-comcast employee that figured out a cure. 

New Poster

The 8/5/15 solution worked for me too after being on chat with Xfinity support for about an hour.  A little weird, but hey, I'll take it! Thanks so much!

New Poster

The X1 operating system has to be connected to the internet or it doesn't serve it's full function. Resulting in error codes.
Silver Problem Solver

@MrFitch wrote:
The X1 operating system has to be connected to the internet or it doesn't serve it's full function. Resulting in error codes.

My X1 system's coax cable is split off from the coax going to my gateway/router.  I can turn off my gateway/router and my X1 system still works.  The X1 boxes have their own separate Internet connection.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Error code RDK-03004

When I got the X1 box for the first time, when it came up it said signal strength was poor but it went on and worked for about a month. Then this happened.  Troubshooting I suspected signal strength problem/bad splitter.  I move boxed to another room that was upstream from a splitter.  Box worked - indicating signal strength problem. Comcast had my outside wiring a 2-way splitter.  On leg going to my cable connected to my cable modem and the other leg feeding a 4-way splitter feeding all my TV lines...hum...all my TVs with a signal 10dB attentuation....I got some new splitters and put the 4-way splitter first and connected my X1 box to that.  That gave me about 3db back which was enough for the box to work.  Problem solved.

Official Employee

@warrendf wrote:

When I got the X1 box for the first time, when it came up it said signal strength was poor but it went on and worked for about a month. Then this happened.  Troubshooting I suspected signal strength problem/bad splitter.  I move boxed to another room that was upstream from a splitter.  Box worked - indicating signal strength problem. Comcast had my outside wiring a 2-way splitter.  On leg going to my cable connected to my cable modem and the other leg feeding a 4-way splitter feeding all my TV lines...hum...all my TVs with a signal 10dB attentuation....I got some new splitters and put the 4-way splitter first and connected my X1 box to that.  That gave me about 3db back which was enough for the box to work.  Problem solved.

Your X1 box and your modem are still far out of spec. I would have a tech out to check your outside levels and your drop. Specifically upstream levels...

Modem=54dbmv should be under 51

X1 box=57dbmv should be under 51

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have a tech appt for Monday.  What is dropping the signal strength down to 51 dbmV going to do?  What is the input specs for the X1 box?

New Poster

My modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6120.

The rated Operating Level Range is:

Pmin to +57dbmV (32 QAM, 64 QAM)

Pmin to +61dbmV (QPSK)

54dbmV seems to be an acceptable range.  What is wrong with that?

New Poster

The numbers you cited form my modem was the "Upstream" signal strength, which is the signal strength of the signal transmitted by my modem - which is in spec.

My "downstream" signal strength is -3dB which is also in spec (should be -15dbmV to +15dbmV)

Official Employee

@warrendf wrote:

The numbers you cited form my modem was the "Upstream" signal strength, which is the signal strength of the signal transmitted by my modem - which is in spec.

My "downstream" signal strength is -3dB which is also in spec (should be -15dbmV to +15dbmV)

The upstream signal should be between 35 and 51

The downstream signal should be between 10 and -8.

Your downstream is within spec, upstream isn't. I'm a tech in the field and those are the specs. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@warrendf wrote:

My modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6120.

The rated Operating Level Range is:

Pmin to +57dbmV (32 QAM, 64 QAM)

Pmin to +61dbmV (QPSK)

54dbmV seems to be an acceptable range.  What is wrong with that?

Your modem may operate under those specs, but if you want it ( or anything to run properly) it should be in the specs of the system it's operating in.

Official Employee
New Poster

Being that as it may, replacing the splitters and the rewiring I did to get the signal to the X1 box back within spec has fixed all my problems and no issues since.  Thanks.

New Poster

Thank you for posting this. I had the same problem today. We called Comcast and the rep sent several signals and nothing worked. He even tried to send a tech but I refused. Then I came to this forum and saw your post. I unplugged the cable and Internet as you said and stuck a pen in the reset button. I put the cables back in and the platform came on. People argue about the wrong thing. Who cares why it works, just try it. Now I can watch my usual programs. Thanks again for sharing solution.👍
Official Employee

@faithfully77 wrote:
Thank you for posting this. I had the same problem today. We called Comcast and the rep sent several signals and nothing worked. He even tried to send a tech but I refused. Then I came to this forum and saw your post. I unplugged the cable and Internet as you said and stuck a pen in the reset button. I put the cables back in and the platform came on. People argue about the wrong thing. Who cares why it works, just try it. Now I can watch my usual programs. Thanks again for sharing solution.👍

All you did was re-establish connection, both the XG2 and your modem are out of spec, chances are pretty good that you'll have this issue again if you don't get a tech out.

New Poster

If the Wifi box is offline then that's the problem. i completely unplugged the coax from my wifi box and tv turned on after a day of not working. I think when connected to a splitter everything needs to work.
Expert

Topic Now Closed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.