Community Forum

EAS blows Vizio Smart TV off air

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

EAS blows Vizio Smart TV off air

Anybody know how to fix it so a Vizio Smart TV won't go dead when there is an Emergency Alert broadcast by Comcast?  This TV becomes unresponsive with a black screen as soon as the alert signal goes off (FULL BLAST) and has to be rebooted or switch inputs to get the picture back, which, btw, kinda defeats the whole purpose of the EAS since you don't get the message...

New Poster

Re: EAS blows Vizio Smart TV off air

I did what has been suggested and a Vizio service tech told me it couldn't be the TV since it is still able to receive commands and change inputs, meaning it is still functioning, and of course, he blamed it on the cable box.

Since you can switch the TV's input from "Cable" to "DVD" and back to "Cable" and it will receive normally again (at least until the next EAS broadcast locks up the TV  with black screen and no sound), I don't think the cable box is the problem either.  I think the EAS signal is broadcast at too high a gain and swamps the TV receiver which cuts-out to protect itself from being fried.  Like I said, the EAS broadcast sound comes on MUCH LOUDER than even when the TV is turned up FULL VOLUME.  

Is this something Comcast could look into? 

Diamond Problem Solver

Swap out the cable box as a start.

Official Employee

Sunbeemer wrote:

Thanks for that response, which sounded like a buck passing, but I did what you suggested and a Vizio service tech told me it couldn't be the TV since it is still able to receive commands and change inputs, meaning it is still functioning, and of course, he blamed it on the cable box.

Since you can switch the TV's input from "Cable" to "DVD" and back to "Cable" and it will receive normally again (at least until the next EAS broadcast locks up the TV  with black screen and no sound), I don't think the cable box is the problem either.  I think the EAS signal is broadcast at too high a gain and swamps the TV receiver which cuts-out to protect itself from being fried.  Like I said, the EAS broadcast sound comes on MUCH LOUDER than even when the TV is turned up FULL VOLUME.  

Is this something Comcast could look into Comcast Elena? 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review the EAS equipment in your area and reach out to you directly so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.