Community Forum

Distorted sound and pixelated picture

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Distorted sound and pixelated picture

Hi LouiseR. Apologies you are still suffering through video issues. I can help get another technician visit scheduled, so we can resolve your issue. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply ComcastAndrew!  I've seen the US power up past 58 and always have issues with HD channels such as HGTV, Food Network, and Paramount whenever it's over 48 - I totally understand that it may be anecdotal, but it's at least consistant.

Thanks again and hopefully the next tech can really get the the bottom of the issue.

Official Employee

Have another tech out, there’s nothing wrong with those numbers. Those levels just represent the inner box, it doesn’t represent levels that would affect individual channel performance. I’ve escalated to a colleague to assist getting a tech out
Regular Visitor

Distorted sound and pixelated picture

For several months now, and many tech visits, I have been getting periodic distorted sound and pixelated picture on the HD channels in the mid and high 800's.  The tech's that have come seem to fix the problem for it only to reappear a day (maybe two) later.

When I look at the DOCSIS stats on the X1 box I see that the problem seems to be tied to when the Upstream Power level gets over 49.

I live in a 3-family house where I share a run with another unit (the second unit had their own, and even have an amplifier on their connection!).  For my unit the cable goes from the pole -> underground to the house -> Comcast installed splitter -> in to my unit -> Comcast installed splitter -> one leg to the X1 box and the second leg to my Comcast Internet Modem.

Here's the latest signal levels that I was able to record: -

Downstream received = -2.2

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio = 35.4

Upstream Power = 48.5

One of the tech's mentioned that they'd put in an order to get a new underground cable run so that there was one run for each unit, but this was over a year ago!!!!  What do I need to do in order to get this fixed?  I'm paying over $200 per month for a service that I can't even use for the TV I want to watch.

Fingers crossed someone here can point me in the right direction.  Thank you.