Community Forum

Disable auto-wakeup of Xfinity X1 box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Disable auto-wakeup of Xfinity X1 box

Is it possible to turn on TV power without the X1 box deciding to wake itself up?

When I turn on my TV, not with the Xfinity remore, but with the power button on the TV, the TV turns on, and the cable box stays off.  Awesome, that's just the desired behavior.

Unfortunately, after about 2 minutes, the cable box decides to wake itself up, and in so doing, it takes over control of the TV and starts blasting Comcast TV channels.

Is there any way to disable this auto-wakeup feature?

Thank you for any help.

New Poster

Re: Disable auto-wakeup of Xfinity X1 box

More info after further diagnostics:  the behavior seems to be related to the "Comcast Labs" (on the X1 remote Xfinity>Settings>Comcast Labs) "HDMI Link" feature.  According to the on-screen description of the feature, "when your compatible HDMI-linked TV is turned off, your set-top box will go into power-saver mode."  Well, that's exactly what happens, and it's a nice little feature.  Unfortunately, it appears that same feature decides to automatically take the set-top box out of power-saver mode after the TV's been turned on for about 2 minutes.  When the STB wakes up, it takes control of the screen, even though I'm already using the TV for some other content (e.g. the Netflix app built into my TV).

When "HDMI Link" is disabled, the STB doesn't go to sleep when the TV is turned off (which is unfortunate), but when I turn the TV back on (not by using the Xfinity remote), then the STB doesn't take over control of the screen (which is desirable).

From these tests, it seems that the auto-wakeup of the STB is a feature (bug?) of the HDMI Link feature.

Hey, anyone at Comcast Labs reading this forum?  Would appreciate a knowledgable response.

Thank you.

Official Employee

Hi User0, 

Sorry for the delayed response. Other than the things you've tried here, the only other thing I can recommend trying would be turning off HDMI link in Comcast Labs (which will stop the auto wake up) and then you can set the box to go into power save mode through the settings. It won't go into power save automatically or immediately, but you can set it to start after 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours of inactivity. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

adding... putting a set top box in power-saver mode 24/7/365 would save about $1 in electricity. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!