Community Forum

Denon AVR E300 and Xfinity cable box passthrough issue with Cabl/Sat HMDI port

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: Denon AVR E300 and Xfinity cable box passthrough issue with Cabl/Sat HMDI port

Update on this.

I just recently upgraded my reciever to 4K passthrough and this issue went away.  So, the equipment that Xfinity uses must have HDCP 2.2 software which would required a 4K passthrough or direct connect.  Why on earth a technician in this day and age would not now this is beyond me.  

New Poster

Re: Denon AVR E300 and Xfinity cable box passthrough issue with Cabl/Sat HMDI port

This is an interesting find. I recently came back to Comcast and have had nothing but problems with my x1 service. I would wake up and the box would be stuck booting a few times a week. And then once a week it would be stuck on the firmware download screen and the box would be unusable. I'm on my fifth box and 3rd service visit that included burying new lines, running a new line in the house, changing out the cable amplifier, and giving me new boxes.

But.... I'm running a Denon AVR-1613 AV receiver. If thisatest cable box gets fried, I'm going to try disconnecting it or leaving it on. The last tech swore my whole problem was due to needing a new line buried outside. Of course, it was stuck at "boot" the next day. At least it wasn't dead (yet).
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response.  Yes, the techs did all of that and they also replaced the cabling and the amplifier.  All signals are great.  Last night I tried leaving the reciever on overnight so the updates could 'passthrough' and that worked.  So that's my quick fix for now.  Leave the reciever on overnight and turn it off in the morning after the updates.  Now if I can only remember to do that every night...

Gold Problem Solver

Have you checked for firmware updates on both your TV and receiver?

Did the techs make sure your incoming cable lines are properly grounded?

FYI, many TV sets do not pass 5.1 audio from the HDMI input to the Digital Audio output. If your receiver has HDMI inputs and outputs you should be using them.

joebartz wrote:

Hello,
Just recently my X1 satellite cable box in the basement has failed to start in the morning after the overnight updates with a flashing blue/red light. The error message was 'failed to download image'. I restarted the box and it always connected but about 2 weeks ago it didn't and just displayed the error message. Comcast sent out a tech and he replaced the box. Same thing happened again the following morning. Long story short, 4 Comcast techs later, different boxes, DVR configurations later...the problem remains. We have tried the small black boxes, the larger black boxes and a DVR to no avail.  The small boxes just got fried, the DVR and larger black box just flashed blue until I restarted it but I have no faith that will continue.  All 4 techs have never seen this problem and kept saying that it was the box but it was only in the basement, everywhere else worked great.  It's not the boxes.

It finally dawned on me that it was having an issue with the passthrough on my Denon AVR E300. I tested this theory by connecting the cable box directly to the TV (why none of the techs could have thought of this is well...) and this worked as expected but now I don't have my 5.1 sound.

Has anyone else had this issue and could suggest a different configuration on my Denon AVR to TV so that I have 5.1 for cable? I use the Denon as my main audio hub with a PS4 and Samsung 4K player with an LG 65UH8500. I guess I could try connectiing the cable to the 'DVD' HDMI port on the back of the Denon but that doesn't make sense since there doesn't seem to be any issue whatsoever when the cable is connected during the day. No apparent video/audio signal loss...only those darn overnight updates. 

Frequent Visitor

Denon AVR E300 and Xfinity cable box passthrough issue with Cabl/Sat HMDI port

Hello,
Just recently my X1 satellite cable box in the basement has failed to start in the morning after the overnight updates with a flashing blue/red light. The error message was 'failed to download image'. I restarted the box and it always connected but about 2 weeks ago it didn't and just displayed the error message. Comcast sent out a tech and he replaced the box. Same thing happened again the following morning. Long story short, 4 Comcast techs later, different boxes, DVR configurations later...the problem remains. We have tried the small black boxes, the larger black boxes and a DVR to no avail.  The small boxes just got fried, the DVR and larger black box just flashed blue until I restarted it but I have no faith that will continue.  All 4 techs have never seen this problem and kept saying that it was the box but it was only in the basement, everywhere else worked great.  It's not the boxes.

It finally dawned on me that it was having an issue with the passthrough on my Denon AVR E300. I tested this theory by connecting the cable box directly to the TV (why none of the techs could have thought of this is well...) and this worked as expected but now I don't have my 5.1 sound.

Has anyone else had this issue and could suggest a different configuration on my Denon AVR to TV so that I have 5.1 for cable? I use the Denon as my main audio hub with a PS4 and Samsung 4K player with an LG 65UH8500. I guess I could try connectiing the cable to the 'DVD' HDMI port on the back of the Denon but that doesn't make sense since there doesn't seem to be any issue whatsoever when the cable is connected during the day. No apparent video/audio signal loss...only those darn overnight updates.