Community Forum

DVR stops recording too early

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

DVR stops recording too early

My DVR stops recording too early. The last 5 to 10 seconds of many TV shows are not recorded. Can the DVR's clock be adjusted? How do I do this?

It is frustrating to not get the punch line of the last joke or that final dramatic moment.
If I use the DVR controls to extend the recording time by 1 minute, then it creates a conflict with the next show I want to record which starts in the next time slot. Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR stops recording too early

This problem has been posted hundreds of times. There is no fix, other than "add a minute".

Official Employee

LoopDeeLoop wrote:

My DVR stops recording too early. The last 5 to 10 seconds of many TV shows are not recorded. Can the DVR's clock be adjusted? How do I do this?

It is frustrating to not get the punch line of the last joke or that final dramatic moment.
If I use the DVR controls to extend the recording time by 1 minute, then it creates a conflict with the next show I want to record which starts in the next time slot. Any suggestions?

The short story is that it is a combination of some networks playing fast and loose with their actual vs. scheduled program start and end times plus satellite distribution and processing causing a few seconds of delay.

For our legacy (blue) guide, you can add extra time on the start or end of the recording. 

Using the Comcast silver remote control, press the My DVR button to access your Scheduled Recordings. Press OK-Select. Select the program that you want to modify and press OK-Select.

Select the red dot at the bottom of that screen. (set or cancel a recording), then the wrench icon for advanced options. You can add extra time to the beginning or end. For a series, you can do this in the DVR Series listing so that all of that program will have the extra time.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, ... if I extend the time of a program then it creates a conflict with the next program set up to be recorded at the start of the following time slot. Unfortunately there is not a control to start a program "one minute LATE" - so I could extend the end of one show and not have it conflict with the begining of the next show on a different channel. Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

I'm assuming you have the traditional DVRs because you mention conflicts. Even the traditional DVRs have two tuners, so extending a recording by a minute won't impact anything unless you have a 3rd program trying to record during that one minute. If you want, you can set up a manual recording to just record the channel for the whole time block, if you record several shows in a row, but then it would only show up in the list of recordings as one "file", so if you want to watch show #2, you'd have to fast forward through show #1. Another alternative is to get the X1 DVR, then you have 4 tuners instead of two.
New Poster

I have a DVR with a silver controller that can record two shows at a time.

I often record two shows at a time for several hours on Tues. and Thurs.

The shows are usually on different channels.

This is why I can not extend a recording without it conflicting with the next recording, when all the recorders are in use.

If Comcast provided a new feature allowing "Start recording one minute LATE" then I could work around the conflicts by starting the following show a little late to accomodate the need to extend the previous recording. Any hope of this feature being added?

Thank you for the information on the new DVR that can record 4 shows - that would solve the problem! Is the montly fee the same?

Silver Problem Solver

In my area the X1 DVR is only $2 more than a traditional DVR. Prices can vary by market and your package.
Official Employee
Moved: