Community Forum

DVR recordings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: DVR recordings

@Jersey_Mike wrote:

..."physically adding an extra DVR is the only way to increase storage"   Or you could just get a TiVO which allows you to expand the HD internally -and- externally.

I still can't fathom why Comcast still insists on only putting 500GB drives into their DVRs... it's the freakin' 21st century!! 

Once 4k becomes the standard we'll be able to record  maybe 10 hours of content on a 500 GB drive.

by changing to mpeg4 for cable channels the space used by an HD recording has at least been cut in half which effectively doubles the 'size' of the hard drive in capacity to record HD cable programs. The local broadcast channel recordings are still large and in mpeg2.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

..."physically adding an extra DVR is the only way to increase storage"   Or you could just get a TiVO which allows you to expand the HD internally -and- externally.

I still can't fathom why Comcast still insists on only putting 500GB drives into their DVRs... it's the freakin' 21st century!! 

Once 4k becomes the standard we'll be able to record  maybe 10 hours of content on a 500 GB drive.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for your quick reply. You

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Going forward after the swap, recordings are on the 500GB hard drive, the newest 60 hours are on the cloud ( including the previous DVR). So as you hit 61st hour, first hour drops off, and so on. No USB access, physically adding an extra DVR is the only way to increase storage.

do a very good job of explaing things.

Official Employee

Going forward after the swap, recordings are on the 500GB hard drive, the newest 60 hours are on the cloud ( including the previous DVR). So as you hit 61st hour, first hour drops off, and so on. No USB access, physically adding an extra DVR is the only way to increase storage.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your quick and percise answer. If the DVR stores locally does that mean I can no longer access my future recordings in the cloud if they are store locally? Also what is the capacity of the drive and can a USB drive be connected to increase storage?

Geoffrey

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

I have a XG1v4 coming in the mail this week. Will I be able to access the recordings that I have saved with my X1 box? Does the XG1v4 use the same cloud, a seperate cloud or store locally? 

After swap, the new dvr will have access to the last 60 hours of recordings made by the previous X1 DVR, anything past that will be gone. After swap, all recordings made from that point forward will physically be on the DVR and the part of the last 60 hours of cloud recordings

Official Employee

@NosmoKing wrote:

I have a XG1v4 coming in the mail this week. Will I be able to access the recordings that I have saved with my X1 box? Does the XG1v4 use the same cloud, a seperate cloud or store locally? 

After swap, the new dvr will have access to the last 60 hours of recordings made by the previous X1 DVR, anything past that will be gone. After swap, all recordings made from that point forward will physically be on the DVR and the part of the last 60 hours of cloud recordings

Frequent Visitor

DVR recordings