Community Forum

DVR recordings not 5.1 when watched in another room

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

DVR recordings not 5.1 when watched in another room

Maybe I am just now noticing but I played a movie recorded in HD that had 5.1 sound but it only played back in stereo.  The DVR is in another room in the house - I was watching from a connected box.  The movie was recording while I watched.  If I went live to the movie, my receiver showed 5.1 sound.  Switched over to the recorded show (still in progress), it was only in stereo.  Rebooted both boxes and checked previously recorded shows - all were recorded from a 5.1 source but only play back in stereo.  Is this correct?

Expert

Re: DVR recordings not 5.1 when watched in another room

@sehale wrote:

Maybe I am just now noticing but I played a movie recorded in HD that had 5.1 sound but it only played back in stereo.  The DVR is in another room in the house - I was watching from a connected box.  The movie was recording while I watched.  If I went live to the movie, my receiver showed 5.1 sound.  Switched over to the recorded show (still in progress), it was only in stereo.  Rebooted both boxes and checked previously recorded shows - all were recorded from a 5.1 source but only play back in stereo.  Is this correct?

the X1 DVRs in your home will record full range audio that will play either stereo or surround depending on the audio system the box is connected. when playing back on a Roku or any non X1 set top box (like roku, desk/laptop) then it is from the cloud DVR and is only stereo. If your home DVR's recording is interrupted, incomplete, etc, the cloud copy will play (and be only 2.0 stereo). you can identify a recording as in home or cloud by pressing the OK button while playing. in the upper left corner will either be DVR or cloud icon DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@sehale wrote:

the X1 DVRs in your home will record full range audio that will play either stereo or surround depending on the audio system the box is connected. when playing back on a Roku or any non X1 set top box (like roku, desk/laptop) then it is from the cloud DVR and is only stereo. If your home DVR's recording is interrupted, incomplete, etc, the cloud copy will play (and be only 2.0 stereo). you can identify a recording as in home or cloud by pressing the OK button while playing. in the upper left corner will either be DVR or cloud icon DVR.

Well that is interesting.  The DVR is a Pace XG1 in my upstairs office.  The living room box is a Pace XG2.  This is the box that is showing recorded movies in 2.0.  Pressing OK while playing a recorded movie indicates it was recorded on the cloud.  However, in my bedroom I have a Pace XiD X1.  That unit shows the same recorded movie as being on the DVR - not the cloud.  Something is not adding up here.  Again, the XG2 plays live and streaming shows in 5.1 fine - it is only recorded shows where it drops to 2.0.

Expert

@sehale wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@sehale wrote:

Well that is interesting.  The DVR is a Pace XG1 in my upstairs office.  The living room box is a Pace XG2.  This is the box that is showing recorded movies in 2.0.  Pressing OK while playing a recorded movie indicates it was recorded on the cloud.  However, in my bedroom I have a Pace XiD X1.  That unit shows the same recorded movie as being on the DVR - not the cloud.  Something is not adding up here.  Again, the XG2 plays live and streaming shows in 5.1 fine - it is only recorded shows where it drops to 2.0.

if you just have the two set top boxes and a modem, look on the back of the modem/gateway for an LED that is lit beside the word "MoCA". if it is on the DVR and Xg2 can't communicate.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

The living room is showing no moca connection to any of your other 6 boxes. Your recordings are coming from the cloud and not the dvr. What are the chances that you have an amp?
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
The living room is showing no moca connection to any of your other 6 boxes. Your recordings are coming from the cloud and not the dvr. What are the chances that you have an amp?

That must be it - yes, there is a signal amp that has been there for a long time.  A while ago, a Comcast tech came out and put a powered splitter outside but I never removed the inside amp.  This weekend I will pull it and check signal strength and see if that corrects the problem.  Meanwhile, I did a System Refresh and now the Living Room recordings show "DVR" as the source (along with the bedrooms).  Interesting.  Thanks for looking into it for me.

Official Employee

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

That must be it - yes, there is a signal amp that has been there for a long time.  A while ago, a Comcast tech came out and put a powered splitter outside but I never removed the inside amp.  This weekend I will pull it and check signal strength and see if that corrects the problem.  Meanwhile, I did a System Refresh and now the Living Room recordings show "DVR" as the source (along with the bedrooms).  Interesting.  Thanks for looking into it for me.

The refresh didn't really improve anything. All boxes should be on the same side of any amp, try taking out that second amp, or what is that second amp feeding?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@sehale wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@sehale wrote:

if you just have the two set top boxes and a modem, look on the back of the modem/gateway for an LED that is lit beside the word "MoCA". if it is on the DVR and Xg2 can't communicate.

The MoCA LED on my gateway (XB3) is off and online, the MoCA status shows "Disabled."  I have a total of 6 boxes though.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

The refresh didn't really improve anything. All boxes should be on the same side of any amp, try taking out that second amp, or what is that second amp feeding?

The amp is between the outside (powered) splitter and the XG2.  It is a 3 port amp - one output feeding the XG2 and the other a Tivo Bolt.  I will pull it this weekend and see what happens.  The Living Room is the only one with a 5.1 receiver so I am not interested in the audio status of the other boxes for now.

Official Employee

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

The amp is between the outside (powered) splitter and the XG2.  It is a 3 port amp - one output feeding the XG2 and the other a Tivo Bolt.  I will pull it this weekend and see what happens.  The Living Room is the only one with a 5.1 receiver so I am not interested in the audio status of the other boxes for now.

That's why the moca ( how the boxes communicate) isn't getting passed to all boxes and the living room is only currently talking to the box labeled basement ( I assume it's coming off the same amp). Once that second amp is gone, all should be good, everything else looks solid. Leave the moca on the gateway as it is

Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@sehale wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

That's why the moca ( how the boxes communicate) isn't getting passed to all boxes and the living room is only currently talking to the box labeled basement ( I assume it's coming off the same amp). Once that second amp is gone, all should be good, everything else looks solid. Leave the moca on the gateway as it is

Eureka!  That did it.  Pulled the amp today and lo and behold, 5.1 sound on all of the DVR recordings!  Excellent diagnosis.  Thank you!

Official Employee

Thanks for the update, all boxes are communicating like they should and all boxes are all well within specs.