Community Forum

DVR capacity stats

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

DVR capacity stats

DVR statistics are different on the website and on the TV. Why?

Contributor

Re: DVR capacity stats

You are not alone at being confused. My understanding is:

• The website shows the %Full for the Cloud DVR. It is an allocation of 60 hours of online storage times the number of physical DVRs you have under your X1 plan. The count of recordings and the list of recordings are just the ones stored on the Cloud DVR. Its all the recordings you may watch online.
  • The TV shows the %Full for the physical DVR(s). It is based on the 500gb internal hard drive times the number of physical DVR(s) you have under your X1 plan. The count of recordings and list of recordings is the union of all recordings on the physical DVR(s) and on the Cloud DVR. Its all the recordings you may watch from the TV.
  • If you start out with new X1 service and never exceed your space allocation, the Cloud DVR and physical DVR(s) should contain the same recordings, but the %Full may be different because one is measuring hours and the other gigabytes. (A 1 hour SD recording takes less space than a 1 hour HD recording.)
  • If you replace a physical DVR, you'll lose the copy of the recordings that were on that DVR, but you'll still have a copy of those recordings on the Cloud. This will cause the %Full on the TV to drop, but won't change the %Full on the Cloud. The list and count of recordings, however, will be the same on the TV as on the website because the Cloud-only recordings are available for viewing from the TV.
  • If your Cloud allocation becomes full, the oldest recordings will be deleted from the Cloud to make room for additional recordings, but such recordings won't be deleted from the phsysical DVR. This will cause a shift in the difference that you observe in the %Full: as time goes on, the Cloud %Full would remain high and the %Full on the TV will continue to grow.  (Note: some customers have been told by customer service that recordings will be deleted from the physical DVR as well. The consensus through the forum seems to be that recordings are just deleted from the Cloud if the Cloud storage becomes full.)

Personally, I think it would help if:

1. both the Cloud and physical DVR statistics were available for viewing from the website or TV
  2. the allocations (e.g. 500gb, 60hours) were displayed
  3. an indication in the recording list was added to show whether a recording was Cloud-only, STB-only or Cloud/STB

Regular Visitor

Great answer. I just can't wait until the stats synchonize!

Gold Problem Solver

It's been discussed in this forum in the past. The DVR uses less recording space if you record in SD. The cloud records 60 hours regardless in it is SD or HD. If you record SD programs they will never be the same. With cloud recordings, SD and HD use the same amount of space.

That being said, I NEVER watch SD and I NEVER record SD.

My stats are never the same. At this moment my DVR shows 60% and the cloud shows 82% even though the cloud appears to have four fewer recordings.

I am not sure Comcast has ever accurately responded to this question. I don't think they view it as a problem.
Contributor

@RickGr4: I agree that Comcast has never accurately responded or documented the DVR capacity stats. I dn't know why they don't view it as a problem - it seems at least one a week some one has a problem or confusion reagarding it. This is a nuisnace for either the employees or customers.

I suspect there are several ways to get a 60% versus 82% descrepancy:

1. The 60 hours of HD taking up 500gb is only an estimate. Probably it is based on what they can "guarantee" based on the different DVR models and feature deployment.  (Note,  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview/ claims only 50 hours, not 60.)  I wouldn't think it would be that much different though if you truly have 4 fewer recording on your DVR versus cloud and they are all truly HD.
  2. If you ever replaced your DVR after you starting using Cloud storage, then that could cause the difference. The number of recordings shown for the Cloud is simply a count of the recordings shown on the cloud. The number of recordings shown on the TV is the count of DVR recordings plus the count of any Cloud recordings that are not replicated on the DVR. The number of recordings listed that are available to watch on the TV also includes the ones that are stored only on the Cloud. It's not easy to tell what is stored where accept by going through the  cloud versus TV displays one by one. There are ways to get the numbers use see. For example, if all your recordings were 1hr long, you have 16 stored just on the cloud, you have 4 just sored on the DVR, and 33 stored on both, then you'd get approximately a 82% Cloud verus 62% DVR used with a display of 49 recordings on the cloud and 53 available for viewing on the TV.

I actually out together a spreadsheet to track this after we had our DVR swapped out. The spreadsheet tracks the percentages pretty well and I actually know now what is stored where. For me it's much easier to manage and understand. At the moment our cloud is 54% and our DVR 9%. We have 19 total recordings, 2 of which are cloud only and none of which are DVR only.

Gold Problem Solver

FixService,

I have had X1 service for over four years and I have made roughly 12,000 posts in this forum. You can't tell me anything about this issue that I don't already know.

1. No need to tell me about what happens if an X1 DVR is replaced. I am well aware.
2. X1 boxes may have a 500gb HD but once formatted that number is probably closer to 430 to 450gb.

3. Recording capacity remains X1's biggest weak point. I spend FAR too much time managing recordings. 50 to 60 hours of HD recording capacity is comical in this day and age. In my opinion, debating over the difference between 50 and 60 hours is a waste of time.
4. Comcast is TOTALLY MESSING UP what Cloud DVR could and should be.
5. You may have noticed complaints about X1's picture quality. I can assure that those complaints are valid.

Here is the part you don't want to hear... X1 was never intended to be a state of the art, boundary pushing product that was designed to satisfy high end audio/video enthusiasts. It is a cost cutting, watered down, dumbed down and simplified product that was and is designed to satisfy the masses.

I have glanced at your posts in regards to DVR vs Cloud DVR storage capacity. You have a point but you are forgetting the bigger picture. Comcast doesn't care about this issue. They are designing and implementing X1 exactly as they see fit and they are not listening to customers. The sooner that you accept that Comcast isn't listening the faster you might come to accept the product.

Why haven't I left Comcast? Two main reasons... The internet service has been very fast and reliable and my highly significant other does not want a dish on the front of the house... That being said, she has recently opened up to the idea of having a dish on the roof...

In summary, FixService I think you are spending a great deal of time and effort posting on an issue that Comcast does not care about... Please remember, in my opinion X1 is not a product that was and is designed for a fussy or detail oriented user. I suggest that you accept that at some point...

FixService wrote:

@RickGr4: I agree that Comcast has never accurately responded or documented the DVR capacity stats. I dn't know why they don't view it as a problem - it seems at least one a week some one has a problem or confusion reagarding it. This is a nuisnace for either the employees or customers.

1. The 60 hours of HD taking up 500gb is only an estimate. Probably it is based on what they can "guarantee" based on the different DVR models and feature deployment.  (Note,  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-overview/ claims only 50 hours, not 60.)  I wouldn't think it would be that much different though if you truly have 4 fewer recording on your DVR versus cloud and they are all truly HD.
  2. If you ever replaced your DVR after you starting using Cloud storage, then that could cause the difference. The number of recordings shown for the Cloud is simply a count of the recordings shown on the cloud. The number of recordings shown on the TV is the count of DVR recordings plus the count of any Cloud recordings that are not replicated on the DVR. The number of recordings listed that are available to watch on the TV also includes the ones that are stored only on the Cloud. It's not easy to tell what is stored where accept by going through the  cloud versus TV displays one by one. There are ways to get the numbers use see. For example, if all your recordings were 1hr long, you have 16 stored just on the cloud, you have 4 just sored on the DVR, and 33 stored on both, then you'd get approximately a 82% Cloud verus 62% DVR used with a display of 49 recordings on the cloud and 53 available for viewing on the TV.

I actually out together a spreadsheet to track this after we had our DVR swapped out. The spreadsheet tracks the percentages pretty well and I actually know now what is stored where. For me it's much easier to manage and understand. At the moment our cloud is 54% and our DVR 9%. We have 19 total recordings, 2 of which are cloud only and none of which are DVR only.

New Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

FixService,

I have had X1 service for over four years and I have made roughly 12,000 posts in this forum. You can't tell me anything about this issue that I don't already know.

1. No need to tell me about what happens if an X1 DVR is replaced. I am well aware.
2. X1 boxes may have a 500gb HD but once formatted that number is probably closer to 430 to 450gb.

3. Recording capacity remains X1's biggest weak point. I spend FAR too much time managing recordings. 50 to 60 hours of HD recording capacity is comical in this day and age. In my opinion, debating over the difference between 50 and 60 hours is a waste of time.
5. You may have noticed complaints about X1's picture quality. I can assure that those complaints are valid.

Here is the part you don't want to hear... X1 was never intended to be a state of the art, boundary pushing product that was designed to satisfy high end audio/video enthusiasts. It is a cost cutting, watered down, dumbed down and simplified product that was and is designed to satisfy the masses.

I have glanced at your posts in regards to DVR vs Cloud DVR storage capacity. You have a point but you are forgetting the bigger picture. Comcast doesn't care about this issue. They are designing and implementing X1 exactly as they see fit and they are not listening to customers. The sooner that you accept that Comcast isn't listening the faster you might come to accept the product.

Why haven't I left Comcast? Two main reasons... The internet service has been very fast and reliable and my highly significant other does not want a dish on the front of the house... That being said, she has recently opened up to the idea of having a dish on the roof...

In summary, FixService I think you are spending a great deal of time and effort posting on an issue that Comcast does not care about... Please remember, in my opinion X1 is not a product that was and is designed for a fussy or detail oriented user. I suggest that you accept that at some point...

FixService wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

FixService,

FixService wrote:

RickGr,

You hit the nail dead on the head.

Today I swapped my box as suggested by Comcast agents/techs as a solution to one channel, the Cartoon Network HD channel, having severe pixelation and color blocking, along with distorted audio.  Prior to this swap, I had percentage used under Xfinity/Saved/Recordings.  I swapped the box, and the problem persists as I figured it would.  No problem I have had since inception of this service has been resolved.  Band-Aids.  No one told me of any potential problem I would have by simply exchanging boxes.  I lost recordings, and again, instead of having percentage of space used, I only show number of programs recorded.

Today, I was on the phone with 3 different agents ranging from pleasant to downright rude and condescending, and I also utilized an online chat agent to tell me how to change the view from number of recordings to percentage remaining.  I won't get unto Comcasts insistance on continuing to request social security numbers after they and other companies have caused many of us to have to deal with identity theft, thus rendering the number not at all private, let alone a means of identification.  This is but one example of what you clearly stated:  Comcast simply doesn't care what the customer wants, nor what is ethically correct in doing what is right  by the customer.  At any rate... after 35 minutes, the individual had no clue, pointing me to the general remote and dvr manager which I have long since become familiar.  Now I am waiting for a next level tier who is supposed to call me in 24 hours.

In the meantime, I tried Google to see if there was ANYONE who could simply answer my question.  I went to several tech forums which pointed me here.  I have learned this is another on going problem buried by Comcast instead of making an effort to incorporate this solution in their common customer support strategy.  I am very disappointed in my experiences today which compound what I have already learned.  I repeat, Comcast does not care about the customer experience, nor what is going on in the realm of the customer's demand for better means of account identification.  I'm tired of this.

In short, I have decided to finish my obligation and pull the cord.  I refuse to continue paying way too much to be mistreated, and my concerns ignored.